TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Great America Becomes California's Great America

^^I've heard some pretty positive reviews of Renegade, a good ride is a good ride regardless of it's a clone or not. The last time I looked this forward to one of GA's additions was 1996's Drop Zone, so something this good has been a long time coming.

^I agree about Stealth, it was a POS that should have never been installed in the first place. When GA announced it and everyone else was jumping for joy back then, I was the only one that thought this was a stupid decision. The last thing GA needed back then and still doesn't need to this day is another short, low-capacity gimmick coaster. So it would be the first flyer, big deal, as expected, it's been overshadowed by much bigger and better versions. Even I couldn't have imagined though how quickly it would turn to crap and how much downtime and problems there would be. Just kills me thinking of what we could have gotten back then instead for that $16 million, stupid Paramount.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to derail this thread too much, but I've always felt the same way. I think that because it was the first of it's kind, people tended to overlook all of the horrible downtime, one train op, and other major issues the ride was plagued by the entire time it was at GA. The park got rid of a prototype nightmare in exchange for a water park that draws more people, and costs them less in the long run.

Even with our version of Boom Bay being scaled down the way it is, I wouldn't turn back time and reinstall Stealth. Tidal Wave on the other hand is a different story.

-Sean

These posts do make sense about Stealth. The fact that it was a prototype should have spelled the end for it. At least now I understand why it was removed. Besides, the waterpark is more popular with the families and is a hit during the summer.

Now, if Paramount could explain why they removed Tidal Wave AND Triple Play without replacement rides, my mind would be at rest. That's two Marriott classics gone that will never come back.

Tidal Wave was truly one of the all time great rides there and I was stunned and saddened that shortly after giving it some tlc and a beutiful new paint job, and shortly after celebrating its 25th anniversary it was taken down and left to rot in a parking lot. Until someone can explain to me why it was taken out it will always make me sad when I think about it. I think some of us deserve closure. That was one of the first big coasters for me and what a fun ride. And on top of that nothing took its place. I would have been happy at least with an Intamin launched coaster.

^Yeah it was really terrible that it was taken out and sat in pieces in SFDKs parking lot for over a year, then it was raped for spare parts to be used for SFKKs shuttle loop. A horrible end to a coaster that certainly deserved better. Every time I visited DK and saw it rotting there it just made me totally feel sick. At the very least its good to know parts of it are helping to keep another one operating. Its sucks but what can you do? Tragic

I think one of the reasons Tidal Wave was removed was not enough guests riding. I remember riding it about 8 years ago, and whenever I rode it, there were always little to no lines at all. That must have been it, it wasn't popular enough with the GP. But if the FX theater was not added, people would have been able to see the coaster, and it would be more popular and it would still have remained. So the FX theater is also at fault because it obstructed most of the ride from sight. I wish Paramount hadn't made some of the decisions they did.

When I first heard that Cedar Fair was going to run Great America, and I heard about how they don't theme, my stomach turned to see how they would destroy the park. But from what I've seen, they're actually making a lot of improvements! If C.F. continues to run the park as well as they did for the 2007 season, then I believe that good things are in the future. Look at their plans. 2008: Firefall, new ice show, longer hours during the summer, and Halloween Haunt. 2009: a GCI woodie! I can't wait for the next two years to come!

You should have seen GA when it was so well themed. GA had different names for different areas of the park: Hometown Square, Youkon Territory/Yankee Harbor, New Orleans Palace, Smurf Village, County Fair. Now its just BLAH! Everythings gone. From the themed lands cto the classic rides. Now its all about the annoying F***ing Nick crap all over the park which I can't STAND! I hope CF ditches it! By the way I don't think I'll be getting to SFKK anytime soon. But next summer at Knotts I'll get to get on Montezoomas Revenge finally! I'll ride it all day!

^That Nick "crap" is very popular with families

That doesn't stop it from being the crap it is

Crap? I think the Nick stuff is better then BB!! I can't stand that BB crap at all, it drives me nuts!!

You could have fit 2 coasters there atleast 1 damnit, stupid water park!! You want a water park? Stand in your front/back yard and turn on the damn hose!!!

2010 BB removed, replaced with custom B&M Flyer!!!! Named STEALTH

Yes Invertigo replaced Triple Wheel which used to be kown as Sky Whirl. Triple Play, which used to be located next to the building which has the park managenent offices and does the season pass processing was replaced with nothing. The area is indeed used as the overflow line for season pass processing.

I just got super nerdy and snagged my copy of Beverly Hills Cop 3 out of my DVD case. There are some great angles of Triple Wheel in action, so I snapped a screen shot for you to check out. The movie also has a nice collection of classic GA shots including the Train, Tidal Wave, and Vortex's old green and black paint job.

-Sean

PDVD_001.jpg.a6921f1aa70ceacaa359be0f2721e261.jpg

You can see it's placement with Demon in the background. Also notice the production crane they forgot to move out of the shot in the lower right hand corner.

I worked there in 89 and that was one of many rides I worked panel at. Besides it being extremely boring to operate and watch and people spitting off it while it was in motion, it was known as the "barf machine" by the employees. Plenty of kitty litter was always kept on hand. The thing was frikin huge too.

If you can show me just one example of CF ever in their history announcing a major new coaster 2 seasons in advance, I'll buy that. There's a good reason parks don't announce their major additions so far in advance, especially in a competitive market like NorCal with SF just down the road.

Hydra was announced early with the removal of Hercules.

To a lesser extent, so was Maverick. It wasn't announced, but the removal of WWL was somewhat of a sign.