TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video Technique

tommytsunami

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yer, I know i'm not robb but I have made a few onride videos on some coasters here in Britain and I have found the ebst way to stop the camera falling is to get a good hold on it, put a strap from it round your neck or tightly round your arm. I havn't found a way of holdin the camera as still as Robb yet though.

Camcorders have the nice strap for your hand anyway, and since making onride videos I've found that having the wide-angle lens helps a lot, not only do you get a lot more in shot (not just track, and not just sky) it helps to eliminate camera shake. The same way that if you zoom in, you get a lot more shake, if you use the wide lens, you're effectively zooming out even further, so even if you are shaking, there's so much in the frame, you don't notice it as much.

Brett Kinney does the absolute best onride POVs. His technique on wood coasters is unmatched. He holds the camera in his hand and actually puts his hand holding the camera on the front lip of the train and uses his hand as a shock absorber.

I wouldn't do it because of the pain, but his POVs come out looking like mounted cams.

^ Yeah, I pretty much do the same thing.

Honestly, it comes from MANY years of practice. It's NOT something you can just go do without trial and error. And it's not something that just anyone can do. As crazy as it might sound it DOES take a bit of talent.

You HAVE to know how forces of rides work, how to predict the forces that a ride will create ahead of time and and know how to brace your camera and absord shock.

I've used a number of different techniques, and while no hand-held video will match those of a mounted camera, you can get pretty close.

I've been shooting video for at least 8 years and it does take time. Don't expect to be an expert on it overnight.

Another thing I've noticed is that these newer, lighter cameras are actually harder to keep steady. Because they are lighter, there is less 'resistance' as you try to absorb the forces and it can be very difficult to keep still. Personally I was a little dissapointed with some of the footage I shot with my newer, lighter camera in Japan as I was with the heavier camera I used the year before, but I'm getting used to it.

Hope that helps!

--Robb

And some of us just have a natural knack for it! :dork: My first POV ever was Shockwave at Drayton Manor on my 2nd ride! My 2nd POV ever was my first ride on Expedition Ge Force! :scared:

Elissa "they both turned out pretty decent as you see in the videos!" Alvey

What's the difference between a Wide Angle Lens and a Fish-eye lens?

The Fish-eye lens makes the view look disorted and stretched out, the kind you see with the video footage stretched on the left and right side kindof makes it look blurry and wide in the middle, I dont even know what these lens are for but you wont see me ever using one...

The Wide Angle lens decreases magnification in your camera and gives your camera the ability to see more in a picture, kindof works like a magnifying glass that stretches out the picture. It works like a charm in footage because it reduces shaking and bouncing and makes the picture look more clear.

Another thing I've noticed is that these newer, lighter cameras are actually harder to keep steady. Because they are lighter, there is less 'resistance' as you try to absorb the forces and it can be very difficult to keep still. Personally I was a little dissapointed with some of the footage I shot with my newer, lighter camera in Japan as I was with the heavier camera I used the year before, but I'm getting used to it.

Robb, I've also noticed this. Sometimes Smaller cameras that seem more light are harder to grasp onto especially on inversions when it throws you around (The tall cameras are exactly the same too, the grip is horrible on them!)

When you said you were a bit dissapointed with the footage you shot with your "newer lighter camera" was that the one you showed me on the last trip? Or the one that is like mine (the sony DCR-TRV22) I cant remember which one you got first.

-Justin