TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Reccomend an album!

BlackHole2005

I'll start off with some under-appreciated classic rock albums.

In Rock - Deep Purple Don't expect Smoke On The Water. These songs are complex and rock harder than anything on Machine Head. Child In Time has some of Ritchie Blackmore's best guitar playing.

Sabotage - Black Sabbath Probably their best album besides Masters of Reality. (Paranoid is over-rated) Must listen to the album if only for Megalomania, which is very cool.

Draw The Line - Aerosmith Yeah, not many hits on this one, but it's my favorite album of theirs. It even has Joe Perry doing vocals on one song. Last album before most would say the band went downhill.

Love It To Death - Alice Cooper From when it was an actual GROUP called Alice Cooper. Their first hit record, and it has no throwaway tracks. The song Black Juju sounds a lot like The Doors.

This is getting taxing... from now on, just the album names and group.

Fireball - Deep Purple

Eldorado - Electric Light Orchestra

Animals - Pink Floyd (their best album, but sadly always overlooked)

Queen/Queen II - Queen

Leftoverture - Kansas

Don't Look Back - Boston

Rising - Rainbow

Pieces of Eight - Styx

Love Gun/Ace Frehley/Alive II - KISS (Yah, I love Ace Frehley.)

Sorry that was so long.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my favorite albums of all-time:

Dirty Sexy Knights in Paris - Audiovent

Deloused in The Comatorium - The Mars Volta

Songs For The Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age

Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Blood Mountain - Mastodon

Carnavas - Silversun Pickups

The Information - Beck

Make Yourself - Incubus

Morning View - Incubus

Year Zero - Nine Inch Nails

Icky Thump - The White Stripes

Get Behind Me Satan - The White Stripes

Revelations - Audioslave

Vegas - The Crystal Method

Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

Demon Days - Gorillaz

Inhuman Rampage - DragonForce

Mezmerize - System of a Down

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys

Wolfmother - Wolfmother

10,000 Days - Tool

St. Elsewhere - Gnarls Barkley

Homer, I was highly disappointed in the new Foo Foo Fighters album. It is still early and it might grow on me, but I am still waiting on the next "Colour and the Shape".

In my car now:

ELO - Time (1981)

This is what you would get if you cross-breeded the Beatles with Daft Punk. Very much ahead of it's time and still sounds just as good today.

Strong Tracks:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hVkEHBbv4Fg

Twilight

Hold On Tight (Yeah ... that song from the car commercial)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wSEVhQoka8E

Here is the News

Trentemoller - The Last Resort: Very downtempo ambient music... great to listen to when you're under the influence.

Iris - Wrath: Synthpop at it's best. They usually play over in Europe, even though they're from Texas. Just had a tour with De/Vision.

Muse - Any Album: What can I say, they're awesome!

30 Seconds to Mars - 30 Seconds to Mars: Forget about that "A Beautiful Lie" Bullcrap. The first, self-titled CD shows 30STM at it's best! Great live. Seen them about 6 times.

Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City: Incredible music, mixed with awesome lyrics. Great band live, seen them twice.

30 Seconds to Mars - 30 Seconds to Mars: Forget about that "A Beautiful Lie" Bullcrap. The first, self-titled CD shows 30STM at it's best! Great live. Seen them about 6 times.

They are good live, aren't they?

If you wanna listen to heavy metal, but you have an overbearing headache, can I suggest The String Quartet Tribute To Atreyu? The atmosphere's still there, but there aren't any lyrics, no guitars, basses nor drums. All instruments are immitated by string instruments, generating a copy-cat like, original sound.

Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory, and Minutes To Midnight

Blink 182- Take Off Your Pants and Jacket, Enema Of The State, and Greatest Hits

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Californication, Stadium Arcadium. and Greatest Hits

Motion City Soundtrack- Even If It Kills Me

Paramore- All We Know Is Falling, and Riot!

Yellowcard- Ocean Avenue, Lights and Sounds, and Paper Walls

....more to come!

Disturbed: The Sickness, Believe, Ten Thousand Fists, and what ever the hell their 4th album is!

Blink 182: Take off Your Pants and Jacket, Enema Of The State (Yes, I know, right above me...)

Foo Fighters: The Colour and the Shape

Nirvana: Nevermind, From the Muddy Banks of Wishkah

Papa Roach: Infest, The Paramour Sessions

EDIT: Hey, lookie there, 1500 posts.

This is a mix but here are a few I love.

edit-- The list turned out way longer than I thought, so I've had to cut some out. Oh well.

First I will echo anything by Assemblage 23. The FunkerVogt mix of "disappoint" is very good if you can get a hold of it. Much better that the original I reckon. I guess you could call it EBM-trance with a melodic style. My friend calls it "Gay Club music", but its totally not.

VNV Nation - Future Perfect: The album that really kicked of the whole futurepop genre. Thoughtful lyrics along with a pop-trance mix make for music you can dance to, or just sit back and listen to.

Also from VNV... Matter and Form, but only because the last two tracks are awesome. Lightwave is a dance instrumental that will instantly make you think of playing WipEout. Perpetual is a sort of Rock-EBM mix that works really well and just sounds really nice. It has shades of the 80s goth stuff to it.

The Crystal Method - Vegas. A very nice album, that has a dancey, but chilled vibe to it. Plus, anything that samples The Dark Crystal has to get extra points.

Iron Maiden - Brave New World. I almost put Number of the Beast here, as Hallowed be Thy Name is still my favorite Maiden track. But this album just has such an energetic, rejuvenated feel to it, echoing the way things were going for the band at the time. Energetic, lively, all the things we love from Maiden, but a little older and wiser. Let the track keep running right to the end of the last track with the volume up and you will heart Nickos voice caught on tape, echoing the feelings of many a Maiden fan at the time.

To/Die/For - All Eternity. The debut for the band after they re-named from mary-anne to get out of a bad contract. The band has a new line-up now which is still good, but this is my fave album. It narrowly beats Epilogue as their best. Its depressing goth rock, but harder that Evanescence or The Rasmus. Its all vampires and death and pain, but musically, its very good. In the Heat of the Night is the best track i reckon. The band truly kick ass live, and play much harder on stage.

Paradise Lost - One second. Hardly any two albums from these guys sound the same. They are always changing their sound, which is a good thing. This is my favorite, just ahead of Draconian Times. They turned down the hard rock and turned up the synths. Some truly beautiful songs with a dark but not depressing feel. Highly recommended. Listen to it and you will find it hard to believe that these guys were one of the original pioneers of doom metal!

I figure it's kind of dumb to recommend albums everyone knows, so here goes:

Grandaddy's The Sophtware Slump is a very good but unfortunately very unknown album. Think something like OK Computer plus Twin Peaks. The nine minute opening track is a favorite of mine.

Caribou's Andorra is also good; think modern-day psychedalia.

The Cardigans' First Band On The Moon, which features their hit song, Lovefool, is overlooked as a full album. It's one of those ones that leaps from track to track without a pause in between. On top of that, the mastering is incredibly good.

Mad Pudding's Grand Hotel is an album I haven't stopped listening to since I saw them live in 1998. It's the most Canadian album ever, but it's practically impossible to find.

Supergrass's Road to Rouen is one of my top five albums, even though it only has nine songs. It's melancholy British guitar pop, sort of hard to describe. Think cloudgazing on a rainy day.

Jon Brion's Punch-Drunk Love soundtrack, another top five. I could listen to this all day long and not get tired of it.

Ugly Casanova's Sharpen Your Teeth, an offshoot of Modest Mouse, is a dusty, smoky album, with lots of weird stuff in it. If you like Modest Mouse, chances are you'll like this.

The Dandy Warhols' Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia. It's difficult to describe this one.

The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka is the most experimental album ever: there are four CDs, each one with the same songs on it, only each corresponding track has something different on it. You have to get four CD players to play it, and it's worth it.

Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms"- 1st album recorded specifically for the (then new) CD digital format. Skip Money For Nothing, but check out "One World", "Your Latest Trick", "Ride Across The River", and "Brothers In Arms"

Crisp production and the music literally "takes you elsewhere". Probably the best mellow album ever recorded.

Heres an album alot of people would probably dig but do not know about:

Cave-In

album: Antenna

This band goes back a little bit. Around the era of bands like Snapcase and Boy Sets Fire. The thing about this album is that theres more pop to it and they pull it off real well. If you know Cave-In of old, they were damn near a hardcore band and were probably considered "emo" because they pulled those tricks before anyone knew what it was. Somehow they were grouped with that scene. Check it out if you like rock / alternative. Its also really well recorded and mixed. (if your into that stuff)

btw....Anybody have this album?