TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Islands of Adventure: Will it be getting a new coaster?

I'm not sure what type of crown IOA is trying to grab, but could use more coasters. The three major coasters (Fire and Ice Dragons, Hulk) are good, but the park would be even more complete with more coasters.

A woodie would be nice, but I don't see that happening. IOA is more of a State of the Art Park, and a woodie wouldn't uphold that image. They would do better building a ride similar to MF at CP. A steel ride without inversions but big, fast, and state of the art.

If I were in control of IOA, i'd do away with part of Universal Studios, make it one big park, and build more coasters and flat rides. A lot of the rides/experiences at Universal Studios kinda suck. I had much more fun on the IOA side, and I did everything on both sides.

IOA should offer another dark ride, a coaster or 2, and maybe even a another tower. The Dr. Doom's fear fall doesn't put any fear in anyone. It just shoots you up fast, and brings you down in a relaxing fashion, hardly exciting.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is why I'm extremely grateful that nobody on this site runs a major theme park, and probably never will. "Do away" with part of the Studios, the resort's main gate? Combine the parks, even though they couldn't possibly have less in common thematically? Flat rides? Is this Universal or a traveling carnival? Next, one of you will recommend a rocket coaster in the Magic Kingdom. An unthemed one, no less.

This is Florida. Six Flags is in that state north of us.

Although that was a bit of a harsh reply, JT3000, I agree entirely.

IOA is not all about coasters, it's about combining lots of different types of thrills WITH theming and creating something unique that's never been done before. Nearly every IOA attraction has done that, save for a few exceptions.

I'm not sure what type of crown IOA is trying to grab, but could use more coasters. The three major coasters (Fire and Ice Dragons, Hulk) are good, but the park would be even more complete with more coasters.

A woodie would be nice, but I don't see that happening. IOA is more of a State of the Art Park, and a woodie wouldn't uphold that image. They would do better building a ride similar to MF at CP. A steel ride without inversions but big, fast, and state of the art.

If I were in control of IOA, i'd do away with part of Universal Studios, make it one big park, and build more coasters and flat rides. A lot of the rides/experiences at Universal Studios kinda suck. I had much more fun on the IOA side, and I did everything on both sides.

IOA should offer another dark ride, a coaster or 2, and maybe even a another tower. The Dr. Doom's fear fall doesn't put any fear in anyone. It just shoots you up fast, and brings you down in a relaxing fashion, hardly exciting.

As soon as I open my park im gonna get you to come run it....in the hole! LOL LOL

Dude, how can you say the rides in USF suck man they totally rock. T2:3D is in a leauge of it's own and E.T., need I say more. Everything doesnt have to be the -est tp be a great ride...or have to be a coaster for that matter.

Jarvis "Who would take a well themed dark ride over a coaster anyday! Especially on a hot one!" Morant!!

Well i'm sure if you're from Orlando, I'd expect you to be defensive. My opinion is totally subjective, so let's not take this to heart.

Now, as I was saying...

Not all the rides at Universal Studios suck, but MIB and Twister could be a lot better. Twister was just, boring to say the least, and with MIB, the theming in the queue was better than the actual ride.

IOA is a great park, but with limited space, I don't see them advancing as a major "coaster" compeitor in the near future, because with the parcel of land they occupy, they won't be able to put much more into the park without running into Universal Studios.

Sure Six Flags is to the north, but Florida can't be all about the "experience" forever. It's nice to have the movie experiences and all, but those get old rather fast, especially the one of yesteryear. However, I expect Spider Man to age very well.

And if IOA is expecting to be a competitor with more traditional parks, they better get more coasters.

And let's not take this to heart ppl, it's just a theme park discussion

Sure Six Flags is to the north, but Florida can't be all about the "experience" forever

So I guess this anniversary would be a great time to install a carnival grade spin & puke in Disneyland. Lut's put it right in front of the castle and paint it all types of tacky colors with lots of blinking lights. That'll pull people in. I mean, 50 years is a long time. They can't be all about the experience forever, right?

Your arguement has more holes than swiss cheese. The major theme parks have always been about the full experience, and they always will be. It doesn't get old for those of us who actually appreciate the full experience, which you apparently don't. These major theme parks are not about to degrade themselves just to satisfy the cheap thrill crowd. You seem to misunderstand IOA completely. Yes, the majority of the rides there are thrill rides, but it is so much more than a run-of-the-mill thrill park where coasters & unthemed, prehistoric flat rides in open fields rule the day, and it's not going to compete with those shallow thrill parks because it's not trying to. It is not going to compete with "traditional" amusement parks because it is not trying to. IOA is a major theme park, trying to compete with the other major theme parks (In case you didn't know, we have seven of them in one market. They couldn't care less about Magic Mountain on the other side of the country). Like I said, Six Flags is about 6 hours north. Have fun.

Nobody is being defensive, or taking anything to heart. Were letting you know how completely ludicrous your comments and assessment of the park, and theme parks in general, really are.

Cypress Gardens must be stealing all the crowds from Disney & Universal with that there big swing.

Wow, can we say "Heated discussion?"

Try not to hurt anyone's feelings!

Anyway, let me add to the conversation, IOA isnt that kind of park. Its not a coaster park, its a THEME park!!! That means they THEME things. Get it? Ok, good. It would be great to see another coaster there, but I wouldnt be upset if it never showed up!

Robbo!

the only thing thatd id like to see go into IOA is...SOMETHING!!! ANYTHING!!! Come on Universal, you just can't leave one of the best parks in the world like it is....ADD NEW ATTRACTIONS!!! I mean, theyve taken plenty out, but what have they added?!

and to add to what you guys are talking about...i agree that IOA does not under any circumstances want to be another coaster park, what they want is something people will remember forever and want to come back year after year...i mean i love cedar point, but i personally would not want to go on a yearly basis. the only flat ride IOA would put in would be something EXTRAORDINARY and extremely unique and well themed. not just a top spin or scrambler. nearly all of IOA's major attractions are state-of-the art. Spiderman has well, you know. Hulk has its uphill launch and is one of the best coasters around. Dueling Dragons is a DUELING INVERTED COASTER!!!!! dudley do-right has its cool steep drop and has an airtime hill! popeye is by far the best rapids ride ive ridden. JPRAdv has that neat enclosed drop. Also, IOA will not expand into Universal Studios, because you cant have Universal Orlando Resort without Universal Studios!!!!

In my opinion, I think Universal's Islands of Adventure will get a Bolliger and Mabillard Flyer only because B&M's are often quite relaible, smooth, and rarely complained about by the general public. Universal seems to be happy with what B&M has made them, similar to how Six FLags and Busch Gardens continuously use B&M. Hear me out when I say that once the Busch Gardens family purchased a steel coaster from B&M, they have yet to use another brand, excluding Mack water coasters and a VEKOMA (why, why!?!?!) for Sesame Place as well as one Morgan Hyper for a less reknown Sea World.

Busch and B&M:

BGT: Kumba '93, Montu '96, Sheikra '05

BGW: Alpengeist '97, Apollo's Chariot '99

SW San Antonio: Great White '97 (Batman Clone)

SW Orlando: Kraken '00

From what I've recently heard...Busch also owns a large majority of stock in Port Aventura, meaning they also built Dragon Khan (B&M)

PLUS Drachen Fire was originally to be built by B&M, yet they had to drop the B&M but use their plans because they wanted to finish work on their Invert Prototype. (B&M are perfectionists!)

My point is that once a company uses B&M, they often turn back to them...

In the case of Universal, all of their coasters EXCLUDING the Mummy have been B&M's, and they have great capacity and the riders love them. Chances are, Universal is once again working with B&M for a new coaster. Look at it this way, B&M refused to do a launch for the Hulk, and Universal still went with B&M and had secondary company build them the launch. What that means is if B&M used the LIM technology/launch technology, the Mummy's would have been B&M.

So, I really feel that the new IOA coaster will definately be a B&M, especially a flyer, and since it's being done by Universal, it will be a damn good flyer!

I have a feeling a new ride will pop up on the JP Island. Jurassic Park 4 is being released next summer and a tie-in ride would make sense.

Hey Elissa, have you seen the concept art for the Jurassic Park jeep ride? The vehicles look very similar to Journey to the Center Of The Earth. It was supposed to open with the park but it, along with several other rides never made it. There's a website that has the concept art, I'll try to find it.

Someone on another board said the reason this ride never came up is because Dinosaur and Rhino Rally were too similar to this concept. but that the ride would come around someday.

ECZenith, Jurassic Park is Universal...Disney is Dinosaur/Countdown to Extinction...

Hey Elissa, have you seen the concept art for the Jurassic Park jeep ride? The vehicles look very similar to Journey to the Center Of The Earth. It was supposed to open with the park but it, along with several other rides never made it. There's a website that has the concept art, I'll try to find it.

Someone on another board said the reason this ride never came up is because Dinosaur and Rhino Rally were too similar to this concept. but that the ride would come around someday.

Think you missed the point there, captain.

The last thing Universal wants to do is build a ride that uses the same tech as a Disney ride or a Busch ride. If it's "Dinosaur" tech with a different theme, people are still going to mentally make the connection to "Dinosaur," which I doubt Universal wishes anyone to do.

Same argument is why we're still waiting for "Indiana Jones: at MGM - exact same ride tech over at Animal Kingdom, so why not wait for the next step?

(the obvious exception is all the damn motion sims (Star Tours, Body Wars, Wild Arctic). Remember those showed up before Universal had really stepped up in the market. No one's going to open another one of those anytime soon (and in the case of Body Wars, KEEP it open).

My point is that once a company uses B&M, they often turn back to them...

In the case of Universal, all of their coasters EXCLUDING the Mummy have been B&M's, and they have great capacity and the riders love them. Chances are, Universal is once again working with B&M for a new coaster. Look at it this way, B&M refused to do a launch for the Hulk, and Universal still went with B&M and had secondary company build them the launch. What that means is if B&M used the LIM technology/launch technology, the Mummy's would have been B&M.

So, I really feel that the new IOA coaster will definately be a B&M, especially a flyer, and since it's being done by Universal, it will be a damn good flyer!

I kinda see where you are going but I dont see it as being a solid stand point. Universal wants high capacity rides and coasters and it just so happens that B&M coasters are just that. Lets not forget the first coasters at the universal parks was a vekoma roller skater and they actually went back and got the larger version for IOA, so I think your arguement kinda stands right now because in the immediate universal there is only 7 coasters and just so happen 3 of them are B&M's. However I think universal will use any coaster company who has a very good track record and who can have high capacity rides not *exclusively* B&M's!

Jarvis "who thinks a variety of coasters is better and universal knows this" Morant!

ECZenith, Jurassic Park is Universal...Disney is Dinosaur/Countdown to Extinction...

That may be true, but there is more to the story. If you take a look at Tokyo DisneySea and the IOA and surrounding resort you start to notice something...there's similarities.

Both resorts have a Portofino Bay area, and both have a Sinbad themed attraction, and there's probably more similarities.

Universal Creative has a LOT of people who were ex-imagineers. The Dueling Dragons concept has often been talked about as originally going to be in Animal Kingdom, although not exactly the same.

Therefore it wouldn't surprise me if the JP Jeep ride and Journey to the Center of the Earth were going to use the same ride technology.

Capt., I know they're Disney, and that's exactly why. Guests that come to Florida usually visit Disney and Universal and would feel one ride is ripping the other park off.

I really hope Disney Studios gets the Indiana Jones ride... Maybe it just won't be a jeep you ride in.

Planning vs. Opening time-wise is a BIG difference.

Im sure Disney figured that TDS was so far and away from Universal that it didn't matter if they did both share very similar themed areas/attractions.

As for the "copying technology" part, anyone remember when Star Tours and Body Wars opened?