TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Islands of Adventure: Will it be getting a new coaster?

Forgive me for being ignorant. I visited this park a month ago and i fell in love with the place. A friend of mine had been a few years before and from the sound of it, they haven't added any new rides. Is this a space issue, because from what i can see it does seem pretty packed.

Are there any news or rumours about a potential new coaster/ride for the next couple of years?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, you're not ignorant!

Secondly, the park has not added any MAJOR attractions since it opened in 1999. It opened a teacups ride and a roller skater, and a retheme of a dark ride since then. I'm sure within the next few years we'll see another major ride for the park, there are always wacky rumors out there. Most of them point to Jurassic Park as the home to either a B&M Flyer or a Wooden Coaster.

Being from England, you should know that space is often not as big of a problem as it may appear to be! (cough, Blackpool, cough)

Elissa "I'm still holding out hope for a Captain America Intamin Hyper Coaster!" Alvey

When i was there i remember a post you had made about the Captain America Coaster, it think thats a cool idea. I think that would sit very well.

You know i have never been to Blackpool, to my eternal shame, but we are finally going this summer, doing a sort of mini trip to there and Alton Towers, Drayton Manor etc.

Personally, I'd like to see a spinning coaster themed after the Grinch's Mt. Crumpit in Seuss Landing.

I think something will go in Trike Encounter. It may not be a coaster, but with the size of land that's there, it'll be something big. I'm personally rooting for a wooden roller coaster.

here it goes - I'm going to get egged for this.

I hope it's NOT a coaster.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some coasters, but I have to also think of the more coaster-phobic folks out there (like my beloved Karen). Apart from Spidey, Popeye, and Seuss Landing, IOA hasn't got a lot to offer her (she also won't do things that involve major drops, so Dudley, Jurassic Park, and Doom are all out of the running as well).

I'd prefer a sweet dark ride, but i know that can really eat some space. Plus, they've already got the best dark ride hybrid thingy in the world, so there's some big shoes to fill.

So yeah, I want to see the Jurassic park jeep attraction.

I'm not a coaster person. I believe IOA needs another groundbreaking dark ride that will rival Spider-Man, to smooth out the big Summer crowds inbetween the two attractions. I actually don't want to see a new major attraction built unless they're completely sure it'll meet IOA's standards. As good as Mummy is, it was a serious letdown because they overhyped it so much.

I'm not a coaster person. I believe IOA needs another groundbreaking dark ride that will rival Spider-Man, to smooth out the big Summer crowds inbetween the two attractions. I actually don't want to see a new major attraction built unless they're completely sure it'll meet IOA's standards. As good as Mummy is, it was a serious letdown because they overhyped it so much.

that's funny because most of the people Ive talked to tihink the Mummy is right up there with Spidey as far as thrills and the overall experience.

I only have 1 problem with the Mummy, it's too short

Unfortunatly (or fortunatly!) Spiderman is STILL the yardstick upon which Dark Rides are measured. FWIH DarKastle isn't as good (Ill find out in two weeks), leaving Spidey as most people's favorite. What IOA IS lacking is coasters, They have 3 Major coaster tracks and a nice selection of other rides (Bluto, JP, Dr. Doom, Spidey, DDR). I think a flyer/woodie/Intamin Hyper (for Elissa) would fill out the selection nicely. Plus you know any new ride that they put in would grab and hold the crowds. (Especially if they build a queue the size of DD)

There were rumors a while back about balloons over the park. But since then Universal Management has claimed that they aren't building anything new. But what do we expect them to say?

As for Mummy, I thought it was a great ride. I think USF just needs to be happy it got the "good version".

I think IOA is a brilliant park. But if they did get an Intamin Hyper, they would claim the tallest and fastest coaster in Florida. Sheikra has that record now. But also, alot of people have motion sickness, for instince, my dad, when we went, he didnt get on any coasters because he get sick easily going upside down, and I am sure he would prefer a Hyper to a Looping coaster.

I really hope they get a Hyper, maybe even themed on Green Goblin from Spiderman, or something else like as Elissa said, Captian America theming! But you know Universals theming, they are amazing. I think a hyper would be a great addition to the park.

Unfortunatly (or fortunatly!) Spiderman is STILL the yardstick upon which Dark Rides are measured. FWIH DarKastle isn't as good (Ill find out in two weeks), leaving Spidey as most people's favorite.

IMO DarKastle sucks compared to Spiderman. I like Spiderman a lot better than DarKastle.

Of course Mummy has better thrills than Spider-Man. It's a coaster. But I don't know anyone who considers the overall visual experience nearly as good.

How is IOA lacking coasters? IOA is NOT meant to be a coaster park along the lines of CP or BGT. Three major coasters is a lot for a non-coaster based park, so it certainly isn't lacking them. They were put there simply to pull in an audience that they know Disney won't get. That doesn't mean they are the focus of the park, because they aren't. The exquisite theming and overall experience is. IOA has 3 coasters, 3 water rides, but only 1 major dark ride. I would much rather see them add on to the park's dark ride legacy that was started with Spider-Man, than to see the park devolve into just another coaster park.

Many people who haven't been there yet have actually already made the assumption that it's just another coaster park, and they are turned off by it. I find myself correcting people on a daily basis at Disney boards, etc, who think the park has nothing but coasters. Basically, if you like coasters, enjoy the ones they have. But don't expect the park to be turned into Coaster World. That's not what it's about.

If they get another coaster, I think they need something in between what they have now. Dragons and Hulk are both major coasters but Flying Unicorn and Pteradon Flyers are more family coasters. A hyper sounds like a good idea.

I'd also like to see them get the Driving Machines up and running (I know it probably won't happen). It's a shame to have all that track up there and most of the ride completed but having it SBNO.

i think the jurrasic park area is a great place for a coaster. i think it should be a part dark ride part coaster. like going through a jungle with with a jeep (like the other idea about the jeep) and maybe just a small drop about just 15 feet for a finaly. a ride like this would make a medium thrill coaster which i think would go great in the park. a hyper coaster is great idea for the park but i think it would better in universal just because it only has one major rollercoaster.

You all are going to hate me for this...

I think IOA should build a nice indoor sit-down calm attraction, because today, when I was there walking around in sweltering heat, I just wanted a place to sit down in A/C for a 10-20 mins, and not in a restaurant.

I mean, there's Poseidon's Fury, but you're standing and walking, there's Sinbad but it's still in the humidity, and there's whatever is at the Toon Lagoon stage, again, semi-outdoors.

So that doesn't mean that I don't want another rollercoaster, but in addition to whatever BIG attraction they have next, I think for a lot of guests, an indoor show of some type would be good.

Thoughts?