TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point Coaster Trimming

Just wanted your opinion on this. I just visited Cedar Point this year for the first time in about 5 years. I was quite disappointed with both Mean Streak and Mantis. I visited in '96 and both coasters were among my top 10. Then in 2002 Mean Streak was running a bit rough but not horrible. This year however, was a completely different story. The trims added on the first drops of both rides pretty much ruined them for me.

The first drop has always been my favorite on all coasters, to stick trims on them is just blasphemy in my opinion. I've been to a fair number of parks and have never experienced this before. Mantis was o.k...I suppose....but Mean Streak just chugged along the course with no enthusiasm. I've always stuck up for Mean Streak when people bad mouthed it, but it has become very hard to do so. I've heard that it had become very rough, but was it really that bad.....or are some people a little sensitive?

On that note, do other parks trim the first drop on coasters or just Cedar Point AND is it completely necessary or just a lazy way out of a few bumps?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trims on Mean Streak are there to keep it from tearing itself apart, as were the trims on Hercules at Dorney. I think the trims on Mantis must vary depending on what their mood is because I didn't even notice them when I was there in June. I sure noticed the ridiculous amount of trims on Maverick just after the launch though!

Justin "not quite the Maverick fan everyone else seems to be" Saxe.

I think I remember hearing that the trim on Mantis was to help with three train operation (which of course it no longer utilizes). I didn't really notice it when I was there in June, the ride was plenty forceful even with it.

Timber Wolf at Worlds of Fun has two trims on its first drop. It's fairly normal to see them on wooden coasters, like others have said, it's to keep their upkeep costs down.

Yeah, I could feel the Mantis trim a TON in early August. It took away from the first drop, but I liked the rest of the ride. The Mean Streak trims weren't as noticeable because I was crashing from side to side throughout the entire ride and I remember the pain more than the trim. The Maverick trims were noticeable as well, but if they weren't there, those overbanked turns at the end would be PAINFUL! So I'd only want the Mantis ones gone.

I agree with the trims on No Streak, I rode it this year because I went with some friends that had not been to CP in a long time. I warned them that it was slow and rough. I do not mind fast and rough (Beast) so much, but even Beast has too many trims.

I also do not like the trims at the turn around of Magnum, however, these are not always on.

Have not been as masochistic enough lately to ride Mantis, but I do remember the trim on that too. Sucks A%%

Why oh why can't lightning strike No Streak and burn it down???? Would be a great location for a drop coaster, maybe make the drop face the lake.....that would be pretty cool

The Beast has brakes/trims on:

Its First Drop: Takes away airtime

Hill/Drop coming out of the first turn: Takes away airtime

Shed Straightaway: Cuts speed

Second big drop: Cuts speed

But still, it's not a BAD ride...it just has trims in all the good parts of the ride!

The king of all ride-raping trims are surely those added to California Screamin'

Over two mins worth of track. And two trims placed at almost perfect forty second intervals to stop the train when it FINALLY gets some kick behind it.

Disney really blew that one up

Rattler at SFFT and Texas Giant have trims on their first drop.

The king of all ride-raping trims are surely those added to California Screamin'

Over two mins worth of track. And two trims placed at almost perfect forty second intervals to stop the train when it FINALLY gets some kick behind it.

Disney really blew that one up

I agree, Disney really killed California Screamin' with the trims. It used to have some awesome floater air, now you don't even come out of you seat on the last bunny hills.

Back to the CEDAR POINT trimming.....Back in early August; Mantis' trims on the first drop were on harder than the MCBR. It made some freaky noise too. One time it broke down and they test ran it without the trim....GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY! This thing flew through the course. It nearly makes the loop, but without trims, this thing zooms through it.

Mantis:

To decrease the G’s on the riders from the first loop, and if memory serves correct the corner turn into mid course. As another said it was too much for many riders.

Cool part about working there was the morning test runs which where all trim less. Rows 6-8 are actually smoother without the trim.

Mantis rule of thumb, if she makes it though the first loop she will not roll back, well not considering mechanical issues anyways.

Fun trivia. On a very windy day with head winds into the first drop (if the trims have not be disabled by maintenance), load just the back half of the train on a slow day and watch how slowly she will make it through the loop. Well that is if the crew is to slow to realize what you are doing. (Fat Acers pulled that on us once, and yes she crawled through the loop)

Mean Streak:

100% structural from everything I always heard.. The first turn after the drop was taking way to much force for how the ride was designed.

Sucks too because the ride is actually “not the best” but kind of good trim less.

I was at Cedar Point this past weekend and had plenty of time to watch the dry runs on Mantis as we waited for (Camper Village) ERT on Millenium, which was stuck on the lift hill with riders in it for about a half hour.

They were doing some test runs on Mantis and they were running it both with and without the trim brakes down the hill during test.

Eventually, they fixed Millenium so we boarded in about thirty minutes. After we rode, we noticed Mantis had riders on it and they were trimming the drop full throttle. I rode it on Sunday in the front seat and didn't think that it all was that horrible. I remember when they didn't have the trims on the hill and that awful cramping feeling in my calves after I rode. While not one of my favorite rides (or B&M's), I still enjoyed my ride and didn't get boxed too bad. Just remember to keep the head forward, ride in the front, and lean into those quick transitions!!

Mean Streak we only rode once and that was Saturday night in the front seat with a 15-minute wait (the rest of the seats were empty except the back). To be honest, I really enjoyed it and thought that despite the trim on the first hill, it was not as bad as I remember. Perhaps it was the JD and Pepsi that we were drinking at the camper prior to going back in the park for some nighttime riding?? That might have made it a just a tad bit more enjoyable and fun! < >

Millenium was right after that (yep...in the front seat at midnight!) and we actually saw CP enforce the rules for...gasp!!! LINE JUMPERS!!!! Yes, you heard right folks... enforcing line jumpers!!!!

An African American fellow (no prejudice was involved here...so don't play that) had bullied his way through the line with his girlfriend. Apparently, several people had complained of being threatened by this guy and just as we were two sets away from boarding in the front seat, security stormed in right in front of me past the front seat queue and just took both of them away without incident!! The guy and his girlfriend that were waiting for row two were explaining to security how this guy had threatened them and pushed his way through a bunch of folks in line. They were not the only one's that had complained and it appeared that the guy got what was coming to him…he certainly did not seem to make that big of a deal about being kicked out, though. It was finally nice to see the park show that they CAN enforce the rules when people actually tell the attendants about line-jumpers!

BTW...Maverick was down all day on Saturday, but luckily for us, we got the two - day pass and it was open on Sunday! Yay for back seat twice with less than an hour wait both times!!! It is a very nice addition to the park, in my honest opinion.... a very unique ride!! Not my new #1, but just plain fun.

I did dedicate my first ride on Maverick to ‘Masked Maverick’ the young man that was tragically killed in a horrendous car accident near Cleveland a few weeks ago. That ride was for you…may you rest in peace, my friend.