TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Driving from Williamsburg to Carowinds?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...

Most of this will be highway driving at 65MPH.

Therefore, 340/65 equals about 5 hours and 14 minutes.

However, this could vary when you factor in stopping for food, bathroom breaks and gas. Since I do not know of your food preference, bladder control and gas mileage it would be difficult to give you an accurate time.

Stopping for fast food should add 13.5 minutes to your time, if you eat in the car while driving. If you sit down in the fast food place you should add 24 minutes. Unless you are large and eat a lot of food in which case add another 7 minutes. If you decide to eat at a sit down place like Cracker Barrel, add 49 minutes to your time, adjust that to 68 minutes if you have an appetizer and desert.

If you stop once for a bathroom break you should add 11 minutes for each stop if only number 1, for number 2 add another 6 minutes. If you think you will need to stop more than once add the time for each break in. You can save 30 seconds on each bathroom break by not washing your hands if you are running late.

You might be able to make it the full distance if you have a full tank before leaving BGW. However, if not and you need to stop once, add 13 minutes to your time. Factor in an additional minute and a half if you use cash instead of a credit card. Another 15 seconds if you don't have exact change.

Now if you combine many of these actions into one stop there will be efficiencies gained. For example, you can stop at a gas station, use their restroom and buy snacks for the road. In that case, one stop would only add 17 minutes to your trip time. Provided the clerk behind the counter is not too slow, otherwise add another 2 minutes. Also remember to add another 6 minute for number 2 in the restroom, although it would only be 5.5 minutes if you don't wash your hands.

However, be aware that if you stop too early into the trip, you might have to make an additional bathroom break later on so factor that time in accordingly.

Good luck.

Most of this will be highway driving at 65MPH.

Therefore, 340/65 equals about 5 hours and 14 minutes.

However, this could vary when you factor in stopping for food, bathroom breaks and gas. Since I do not know of your food preference, bladder control and gas mileage it would be difficult to give you an accurate time.

Stopping for fast food should add 13.5 minutes to your time, if you eat in the car while driving. If you sit down in the fast food place you should add 24 minutes. Unless you are large and eat a lot of food in which case add another 7 minutes. If you decide to eat at a sit down place like Cracker Barrel, add 49 minutes to your time, adjust that to 68 minutes if you have an appetizer and desert.

If you stop once for a bathroom break you should add 11 minutes for each stop if only number 1, for number 2 add another 6 minutes. If you think you will need to stop more than once add the time for each break in. You can save 30 seconds on each bathroom break by not washing your hands if you are running late.

You might be able to make it the full distance if you have a full tank before leaving BGW. However, if not and you need to stop once, add 13 minutes to your time. Factor in an additional minute and a half if you use cash instead of a credit card. Another 15 seconds if you don't have exact change.

Now if you combine many of these actions into one stop there will be efficiencies gained. For example, you can stop at a gas station, use their restroom and buy snacks for the road. In that case, one stop would only add 17 minutes to your trip time. Provided the clerk behind the counter is not too slow, otherwise add another 2 minutes. Also remember to add another 6 minute for number 2 in the restroom, although it would only be 5.5 minutes if you don't wash your hands.

However, be aware that if you stop too early into the trip, you might have to make an additional bathroom break later on so factor that time in accordingly.

Good luck.

Amazing.

Actully the bathroom break times are calculated for men and I just realized the poster was a woman. Damn I screwed up.

Another caveat is driving multiple people in the car. This will throw off these extremely precise calculations.

Just a little piece of advice about the "cop detectors". Yes radar detectors are illegal in VA and they will confiscate it and fine a large sum of money. And yes Robb is right about the speed traps, they hide all over the main interstates, all day everyday.

^ Actually, wait....yes I can. Watch out for state troopers driving through VA. They'll stop you at 5MPH over the speed limit!!!!

Are cop detectors illegal in VA? I just got & it works!

Um, yeah. We're like the only state that outlaws them.

I've driven from Carowinds to lets just say Phili, so you know where i'm talking about approx. and that was approx. 12 hours, so shave about 6-ish hours off. So 6 hours away. It's a pretty boring drive, very flat nothing happening. I didn't encounter any police, but yeah, with these economics times, I agree, don't drive even 1 mile over. I actually think I saw more in North Carolina than Virginia.

As with radar detectors, if you use em right they won't ever catch you to fine you! I don't have one... I'm just saying...

Are cop detectors illegal in VA? I just got & it works!

What's a cop detector? Do they also tell you if they're running radar?

Radar detectors are banned in all vehicles in Virginia and the District of Columbia and in big trucks in New York and Illinois. However, they are allowed in noncommercial vehicles in the other 49 states besides Virginia.
Couple minutes on Google.