TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Evel Knievel - NEW GCI Coaster For Six Flags St. Louis

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rumour going around is that the track layout will be very similar to an already existing layout that is NOT already in the SF chain.... and go with the speculations.

Uh oh, maybe we're looking at another Rumbler/OzCat? Not that that's bad, it's just that CC has enough competition as it is, I wouldn't want another park stealing the only real thunder it has.

Why does it matter what other parks are like? I don't believe that a park has to have one of every type of coaster, or have some unspecified ratio of coaters to flats, parks should just concentrate on bringing in good rides.

A good woodie would fit in fine. It's true that there are benefits to havening a diverse ride line-up, but there's still room for another woodie at practically any park, they're just too awesome.

I think that building a wooden coaster would be a stupid decision. All of the parks with 3, 4, and 5 wooden coasters have a total of 10+ coasters for the most part. I think that a steel hyper coaster would fit in much better at Six Flags St. Louis than another wooden coaster would.

Lucky for us, a 17 year old isn't running the park. SFStL is getting another woodie whether you think it is the right move or not.

I think that building a wooden coaster would be a stupid decision. All of the parks with 3, 4, and 5 wooden coasters have a total of 10+ coasters for the most part. I think that a steel hyper coaster would fit in much better at Six Flags St. Louis than another wooden coaster would.

Lucky for us, a 17 year old isn't running the park. SFStL is getting another woodie whether you think it is the right move or not.

I don't think age is the issue here. You're definately out of line bringing my age into the equation on this one. First of all, I have a perfectly valid point with my view on what I think SFSTL should get coaster-wise. Whether you agree with my opinion or not has nothing to do with my age. If a thirteen year old who has ridden 150 different coasters thought that SFSTL should build a 500ft rocket coaster, that's great for him. Now I'm sure that plenty of people would disagree with him, but that's no reason to bring his age into the equation.

Personally I don't think that a wooden coaster is a good move for the park. From what I've experienced as a coaster enthusiast for the past 4 years, an ACE member for 3 years, an administrator on a website for 3 years, and from the 323 different roller coasters I've ridden, I think that it's a dumb move. I'm sure if I stuck my cute little coaster fanatics ride tracker in my profile you wouldn't have made a snotty post about my opinion because you would have realized that I've been on a lot of coasters and have a good opinion on things.

Now, getting back to the discussion of SFSTL's rumored coaster. I still think that they need a hyper coaster. I've thought this since I was 10 years old and first visited the park until this season when I re-visited the park to get my credit on Tony Hawk's Big Spin. Wooden coasters are nice to have at parks, but if you think about it, to the average amusement park visitor, they're just another type of roller coaster, just like inverted, looping, and launch coasters. They don't think "ooh we should go to Six Flags over and over because they got a GCI wooden coaster."

I don't think that a wooden coaster would make a big impression for the general public. I also think that the park should fix up their Boss. Why would Six Flags spend 2+ million dollars on a new wooden coaster when they already have one and could make it more popular by making it less rough. Wooden coaster are less expensive initially, but have much higher maintenance costs than steel coasters do. I'm sure Six Flags is considering that also.

I'd just like to point out that the main reason I post on this site is because of the friendly atmosphere and the awesome photo trip reports. I help run a Midwest based website and don't come on here just to post crap and mess around. I come on here to argure and discuss in depth topics on the amusement industry with people who have also been on many roller coasters and have a good knowledge of the industry also. I'd prefer it if people didn't look down on me just because I'm not that old. Many roller coaster enthusiasts don't start until their older, but that doesn't give them any more knowledge than me. Thanks for understanding where I'm coming from.

Not sure whether the park is getting a GCI or GG, but after riding Troy and Thunderbird over the last few months they will have a winner on there hands. They are both great family rides, troy a little more intense.

Six Flags wants to get families back in there parks and installing a 200ft hyper coaster isn't going to get that audience where as a really very good 100ft wooden coaster will. Also the minimum £8 million price difference between a hyper coaster and a wooden coaster may have some effect in the decision as well.

the bottom line is SFStL is a family-oriented park.

The park isn't meant to have the "Cedar Point" feel of thrills and chills and all that jazz.

Screamin Eagle, Batman, Boss, THBS, Ninja, Mr. Freeze, and a hyper coaster? doesn't make sense...

Now to agree with you for a second, maybe SFStL doesn't need a new woodie, I don't know. I personally think they could use a smaller steel, bigger than just a spinning mouse...but 200+ just seems a little much for the layout of SFStL.

..and hey man, there's still plenty friendly people around here for sure! ..and your age is unimportant to the most of us.

I'm pretty split on this topic now that I think about it. Sixflagsguy5 makes a point in my opinion, if you look at the statistics of SFStl, a hyper would make sense because their isn't a true signature steel coaster there because Batman, Mr. Freeze, and Ninja are found at other parks too. 2 woodies is basically an average for most parks out there also.

I think a GCI would be a gem for this park, now that I think about it, is there a park that features both a CCI AND a GCI? Also, woodies are adored by enthusiasts and also by the GP families, so it definitely would benefit the park in those aspects.

But, if you think about too, the last new BIG coaster was a woodie in the Boss in 2000. So putting another woodie as a new attraction could be sour for some folks. Also think about competition, an already awesome GCI in Ozark Wildcat is in the same state, while putting there own GCI in would definitely compete with it, also think about Worlds of Fun with a hyper, a new B&M invert, and are also supposed to recieve a GCI sometime soon. So, SFStl has options, and I think a new giant steel coaster is what the doctor is ordering to turn some heads to attract more guests. They can label it as the tallest in Missouri, and it will put them on the map for people in the area to ride something huge in that area.

These are just points that I'm bringing to the table, seriously I'm all for either, but these are things to think about, whatever it is, SFStl deserves it and I'm anxious to get out there and give Missouri as a whole a spin to check out the coasters they have to offer

Every park needs a hyper coaster. I have been at parks where kids were trying to get on the hypers and they started crying because when they got to the top with their families and were measured they barely made it and couldnt ride. It is a BIG myth that families are not attracted to big thrilling rides. Remember the kiddies still need to grow into another coaster besides the bugs bunny ride and a family doesnt stop being a family because the kids get over 48 inches high.

Here's my two cents... Being a life long resident on Kansas City I have tried to get to St. Louis every year as well as a trip or two to Branson yearly. SFSTL is a nice park with average coasters and a big need for quality flats. This holds true for most of the Missouri parks other than SDC. It is very hard for me to consider another woodie going into SFSTL knowing that they are building one at WOF within a year or two. I would hope they would look at something very unusual but Swoosh has already said the layout is already in another park. In a post above the amount of 2 million was used and I kinda laughed, any decent woodie is going to run 10 to 15 million. If they really wanted to attract people to the park a dive coaster would fit in great! Since both Bush parks have them on the east coast it would be awesome to slap one right in the midwest. I promise you they would really pack them in with a dive coaster. Just my opinion.....