TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood 2008 Construction

Well, as we are all already aware of, Gold Rusher at Kennywood Park ran for the last time this season. Even though the ride closed down last month, I didn't think any work would begin on the ride until the offseason, but when I stopped by the park today, I was shocked by what I saw. It looks like Kennywood has already begun on whatever they have planned for the 2008 season at the site of the late Gold Rusher. Seems like my original idea that a new dark ride would just replace the Gold Rusher in the existing building has been proven false considering they have already ripped out a majority of the building.

One thing that really caught my eye was that they stopped all the demolition once they reached the structure of the building that the games sit in. I have a very strong feeling that this whole building might be on its way out to make room for whatever the park has planned for next season. The park has already shown us that they aren't afraid to take some of the games at the park after taking out the building to put the 3-point basketball game in. The only thing I see actually staying in this area is the bathrooms, considering they just put those in a few years ago. But that's just what I think is going to happen. Anyways, here's the pictures. Sorry for the crappy quality of some of them, I took these with a 1.3mp camera phone.

Gold Rusher Demo - 9/9/07

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, boooo. That ride was so awful that it became wonderful, I loved it. I'm glad I got to ride it in August before this happened. The spider scene was so "amazing".

Hopefully they get a worth replacement. I'd love to see a more modern dark ride (maybe shooting) at KW.

One of the problems the Gold Rusher had was a lack of space for a queue and loading area. Everything is pointing to a shooting dark ride so the question is how will the park fit a new ride in that area with the extra queue area and updated ride experience the park desires.

I became more of a fan of the Gold Rusher after Le Cachot was removed. There was nothing outstanding or amazing about it but it was a nice, standard dark ride. The spider and bats (stings) were surprising. With newer dark rides you rarely get those type of simple surprises that have worked for generations but have gone by the wayside for elements such as shooting games and 3-D effects.

I'd really hate to see them not replace a dark ride with another dark ride. There are precious few dark rides left. And if you think Gold Rusher is craptacular, you should check out the portable ones found at fairs. Those make Gold Rusher look like Spidey @ IOA.

I'd really hate to see them not replace a dark ride with another dark ride. There are precious few dark rides left. And if you think Gold Rusher is craptacular, you should check out the portable ones found at fairs. Those make Gold Rusher look like Spidey @ IOA.

Completely agree, I don't understand what people expect out of a classic dark ride.

Well I certainly don't think any type of ride will replace it unless of course the park decides to make more room. Like I said, I have a feeling that entire buiding that houses several games may be on its way out this season. I just don't see how they could put any new ride in that area unless this happened.

Well there's a rumor that the park might actually salvage the upstairs of that building and install some sort of new ride in it...I really don't see how it would work, especially considering they'll have so little to work with. They've started construction pretty early so I can only assume its gonna be a semi-large project. I don't know, hopefully we'll see some sort of announcement soon.

• 2 months later...

Well, if you haven't read by now, Looks like Kennywood is getting a new DarkRide to replace the Goldrusher.

To quote from a forum at http://hauntworld.com/haunted_house_forums/showthread.php?t=3076

This will be a 2 million dollar project for Kennywood, located in Pittsburgh. The outside will be a HUGE four sided haunted mansion facade, while inside a scary interactive targeting haunted mansion dark ride.

The ride system will be a trackless system provided by ETF systems.

The inside will have CGI effects, 8 elaborate haunted mansion rooms, and over 200 animations.

This ride will open in April 08.

The apparent company designing it is...

http://www.halloweenproductions.com/

Same company that did Garfield's Nightmare.

Facade going all the way around the building=win. That's going to be real cool.

From what I've heard this is supposed to be a WHOLE lot better than Garfield's Nightmare. Thank God for that.

The programmed trackless cars seem cool. If you go on their page on the company website, it looks as if they can go to deqad ends, turn around, and come back and go elsewhere. Sweet.

• 5 months later...