TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Best G Machine

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What type of G are you looking for? A lot of the Schwarzkoph coasters pulled 6+ (both Mindbenders come to mind), Legend at Holiday World has some amazing sustained laterals, and most of the Intamin hypers (and prefabs) pull over -1, and sustain it. The S&S air launchers pull the most acceleration G of any launching coaster (2+, and I have a link to a post with the math to prove this), and I would guess there is quite a bit of deceleration from the carcrash whiplash brakes lol.

Flatrides also pull a lot of sustained laterals and acceleration Gs. Look at Breakdance, Rotor/Gravitron/Round Up, and SCAT 2 that used to be at Beechbend.

I don't know which ride has the highest G forces, but I did some research and here is what I found.

Mindbender in Canada.

Thriller in Germany. (in it's most recent location at SFDK as "Zonga" the ride was modified to reduce the 6.5Gs that were created in the parallel loops.

Moonsault Scramble in Japan.

I think there was also one more coaster in Germany with G forces of 6 or higher, but I couldn't find the name. I think it was called "Dreier Looping." Can anyone confirm this?

-Sam

Different rides pull different G forces based on the rider orientation. There are positive G's, negative G's, zero G's etc.

On B&M flying coasters, the pretzel loop pulls some high G's, but the force is perpendicular to the rider's body. On a looping coaster on the other hand, the force is downward on the rider, which is more likely to cause riders to black out if sustained due to the blood rushing away from the head.

Other rides that can pull G's

Round-ups

Teacup type rides (if you spin them really fast)

Thanks, I vener thought they'd make a 6G ride or even over 5.

One more on topic question though, does riding at the back make much difference, I read somewhere that the front seat is best for the view (well duh) but the back is best for G force because its being pulled along by the rest of the train. Does it make much difference at all?

I never really do front and back just front or back and then midle place rerides

Some graphs of the rides on the Mid West trip:

Explanations for the graphs:

Red: Linear G Chest to Back is denoted +gx

Red: Linear G Back to Chest is denoted -gx

Green: Lateral G Right to Left is denoted +gy

Green: Lateral G Left to Right is denoted -gy

Blue: Positive G Head to Foot is denoted +gz

Blue: Negative G Foot to Head is denoted -gz

Coney Island:

Pepsi Python:

Holiday World:

The Voyage:

Howler:

SFKK:

Chang:

T2:

Greezed Lightnin':

Roller Skater:

Beech Bend:

Kentucky Rumbler:

Indiana Beach:

Cornball Express:

Little A-Merrick-A:

Meteor:

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park:

Hades:

Zeus:

Swing:

Timber Falls Adventure Park:

Avalanche:

Cedar Point:

Millennium Force:

Iron Dragon:

Wildcat:

Raptor:

Top Thrill Dragster:

Kennywood:

Racer (both sides):

Thunderbolt:

Jack Rabbit:

Phantom's Revenge:

// lond

Those G-Force graphs are really interesting lond, I was planning to skip over them reading this thread, but I'm glad I didn't! I never knew rides like Voyage or Hades pulled those kind of Positive Gs even in short bursts, and I never knew that any coasters even got close to 2 Negative Gs. It seems wierd that Phantom's Revenge doesn't have very high (Or rather, low) Negative Gs since everyone says it has insane airtime.

And LOL at Millennium Force's pitifull Negative Gs

Awesome graphs.

I especially like the ones showing the huge difference between the lateral g's (what causes headbanging) of a "Stengel - B&M" (Raptor) and a Vekoma SLC (T2):

Raptor: between 1.5 & -1, a few spikes above 2

T2: between 2 & -2 with lots of spikes in up to 6 and -3