The official NFL Discussion Thread

spaceace12

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was really hoping he would go to Cleveland for the irony. The "dawg slayer" could play in the "dawg pound"

Seriously though, Im glad he got signed. Im one of the few who thinks he should be given a second chance; I honestly think he's changed (I know it's still early after his release, but I imagine two years in jail can change a man, he has Tony Dungy for a mentor who's a great guy, and from what I've seen he seems really honest about all of his regrets). I expect he'll be one of the most feared QB's again within the next few years.

Im sure Vick will be eager to prove himself and McNabb is injury prone so this is a great pickup for the Eagles. Itd be great to see Vick lined up as a receiver or in the backfield every once in awhile. How bout the backup QB on special teams returning kickoffs? (...if I were a GM )

...and im sick of hearing the media constantly saying he should not be allowed to return to the NFL. "Has he learned his lesson?" "Has he changed?" blah blah. He's done his time in jail let the man do his job, you probably wouldnt like it if you made a mistake then not be able to work in your field ever again, so a big F you to the media.

It just goes to show that the world is a disgusting place. Morals, ethics, are all pushed aside...everything comes down to money.

This guy didn't make a mistake, a mistake is wondering into a dog fight and stupidly making a bet and then getting caught.

What this subhuman did was bash in the teeth with a hammer the retired "fighters" so that they can be used as bait for younger dogs.

...hang dogs that didn't do well in the fights.

...tied up females that were too aggressive to be raped by other dogs when he wanted them to breed.

...downed dogs

...electrocuted dogs

He knew exactly what he was doing and didn't make any mistakes in 'punishing them' or 'showing them who is boss'.

What a horrible human being and to rewarded by allowing him to make millions in playing a game? What on earth kind of sick society pushes our own morals and beliefs aside for a game? It makes me sick to my stomach that people not only don't care but support this monster.

I'm glad a team finally gave him a shot. I would have rather seen him in Buffalo or Minnesota but I am sure the Eagles have a plan for him. He would have also worked perfect for Miami with the Wildcat offense.

I am getting tired of hearing about Vick shouldn't be allowed to play, that just isn't fair with the way some people walk away from murders, rape, robberies with nothing. Goodell should get rid of the 6 game suspension and let him play week 1, he has already served his time.

Why hasn't the media gone nuts over Rick Pitino, who has admitted to cheating on his wife and paying the woman $3,000 to get an abortion so no one would find out. He cheated on his wife, killed a baby and is getting in no trouble what so ever.

People make mistakes, he made a mistake, he has served his time now it is time for him to put it behind him. They are worse things out there. Just because it is an animal everyone is blowing it out of proportion. I love animals but I can't stand the way people are treating Vick.

Look at Donte Stallworth's case:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4396130

He got drunk and killed a person. And here was his sentence along with a year suspension from the NFL:

Stallworth was given a 30-day jail sentence, of which he served 24 days, and reached an undisclosed financial settlement with Reyes' family. Besides jail time, Stallworth's sentence included two years of house arrest, eight years of probation and other restrictions.

Vick has served a year in jail, put on community service for his actions, but Stallworth got 24 days in jail for killing a person. Yes, 2 years of house arrest but that is nothing.

So what your telling me and what the justice system and everyone else is saying that killing a dog is more severe than killing a human.

I know if it was you who made the mistake you would want people to give you a second shot.

So what your telling me and what the justice system and everyone else is saying that killing a dog is more severe than killing a human.

Thats pretty much how things go in America, people are more protective of animals than each other..

Also note that the Stallworth case isn't so black-and-white, there are reports who say the man may have intentionally walked in front of the car. Was he DUI? Absolutely, but the charge was manslaughter and not murder for a reason.

Ok I'll just sum a few things up and hopefully we can end the Vick conversation. I don't want to see the football thread get locked because of something like this.

1. He did not make a mistake. He knew exactly what he was doing, and would be doing it now if he hadn't gotten caught.

2. I honestly don't think he is a changed man. Tricia worked at PETA when he went to visit them there for their class on humaine treatment of animals. He was just giving the right answers to get out of there. The same thing with him doing SPCA events now - just trying to save face.

3. Although I don't like he, in this society, he did his time for his crime. Let's drop it.

With that said, I'm glad he signed with the Eagles. I hope Orakpo comes off the corner and sandwiches him with Haynesworth, and nearly kills him.

Anyway, I can kind of see why the Eagles signed him. They aren't comfortable with Kolb right now. I really don't think he is the future. If Vick stays healthy, and just shows a little something, it will give them a reason to get rid of McNabb if they feel like it down the road.

Thats pretty much how things go in America, people are more protective of animals than each other..

Ok. Double-post, and I'm going to go against what I just said above, and go slightly political. I apologize in advance.

1. I care more about animals because 95% of people are total douchebags.

2. Pitno "killed" a fetus, not a person.

3. How bout' dem Cowboys?

Don't be mad at the NFL for giving him his job be mad at the justice system for giving him an easy sentence.

On topic, I was surprised the Cowboys didn't sign him, and then grab T.O. Stallworth and Pacman again to make the All-thug team!

But seriously I am very glad the Cowboys are seemingly moving away from that knd of player.

Still need to get rid of Romo though, if he choked in the season and we went 8-8 and then played well in the playoffs I would keep him but man he reminds me so much of the Eagles as a whole. Maybe the Eagles could sign Chokemo and we could get Cassel?

Also note that the Stallworth case isn't so black-and-white, there are reports who say the man may have intentionally walked in front of the car. Was he DUI? Absolutely, but the charge was manslaughter and not murder for a reason.

Exactly. The difference in the Stallworth case is that Stallworth is acting like a MAN about it. From the moment it happened, he stopped, called police, and admitted exactly what he had done. How many other NFL thugs would have willingly acted in the same manner?

And he continues to conduct himself in a very professional way. What also should be noted is that the victim's family wanted quick resolution to the matter, and it came mostly in a monetary fashion. Both sides agreed to terms, he was punished by the law, and is now being punished by the NFL. All the while, he understands, and continues to fully accept what is handed to him, including bearing the guilt of his actions for the rest of his life.

I believe him. I do not, and will not ever believe a word that Michael Vick utters.....period. As Jay suggested, he's only "remorseful" because he got caught. If the law didn't catch 'em, he and his douchebag brother would still be breaking laws left and right due to inherent, and blatant stupidity.

In conclusion, I'm just thankful Miami didn't sign the idiot. If anything, Tim Tebow would be a better fit for a wildcat offense than Vick....and it truly pains me to even admit that.

On topic, I was surprised the Cowboys didn't sign him, and then grab T.O. Stallworth and Pacman again to make the All-thug team!

let's leave Owens out of that company, all he has ever done wrong is have a big mouth.

The difference in the Stallworth case is that Stallworth is acting like a MAN about it.

No joke. The interview with Michael Smith was pretty powerful

It just goes to show that the world is a disgusting place. Morals, ethics, are all pushed aside...everything comes down to money.

The law said he can return to work, he has the right to make a living. What would be he be doing if not playing football right now? Selling hot dogs at a stand in central park? If anything will help him straighten his life out its football.

He's very athletic and came with a cheap price tag for a good backup QB, also ive never heard reports of Vick being a bad teammate like TO or anyone like that so the Eagles were smart to sign him. Although I was hoping the Bears would sign him and line him up next to Devin Hester on special times...

Yeah, how did Owens get into the conversation? That is like throwing Chad Ochocinco into the mix. Or DeAngelo Hall.

I was thinking along the lines of people who can tear teams apart whether it be by getting arrested or being horrible in a locker room.

The all-badteamstes team *FIXED!

And I know Cassel is rooted in KC but man the Cowboys should've gotten him, IMO.

And yes their defense is pretty bad, esp. the run defense! Wanna beat the Cowboys just run up the middle because they don't know what to do!

EDIT: Why did it sensor L*o*cker room?

REEDIT: NM I remembered why LOL

The law said he can return to work, he has the right to make a living. What would be he be doing if not playing football right now? Selling hot dogs at a stand in central park? If anything will help him straighten his life out its football.

Weak argument. Not only was he playing football while he had this dog fighting ring, how does football straighten out a person? Furthermore, he isn't sick nor does he live on skid row.

Regarding my quote, yes, his return to football is purely dollar driven. The NFL risks bad publicity in brining this lowlife back into the game. I've been told (I don't care for football) that this guy is good at throwing a ball and the Eagles aren't the best team...so it would only be logical that they can get this guy for cheap and boost there game averages-or whatever they call it.

The law says nothing about him going back to work. He just finished his time...you shouldn't accept this either, most companies (like the ones us average folk accept as work) conduct background checks, especially for large, global, or national companies. If any of us had this sorted background, we certainly wouldn't be hired...so why should this guy?

^

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/My-advice-to-those-who-might-protest-Vick-or-the?urn=nfl,182941

Give it up. The Eagles have the right to hire a guy if they want to. Obviously I don't necessarily agree with it, but he has the right to play football, and the Eagles have the right to sign him. You don't have to accept it, but you don't have to argue about it.

^^Because all corporations are totally ethical? If you had a job skill a company thought could help them in any way, you would still get hired.

But anyways, that blog is spot on. I hate Michael Vick, also agree that he's just saying what he has to stay to save face, and is a total douche...but I'm also glad that he's drawing attention to just how horrible dogfighting is. Even if it is all fake, it's still going to have a positive impact.

As far as him signing with the Eagles? Whatever. He paid his debt to society, and if the Eagles want to sign him, so be it. I don't think he deserves the opportunity he is being given, but I certainly don't fault him for taking the opportunity or fault the Eagles for giving him the opportunity.

^^There is no need to be confrontational.

I'm not arguing my point, something I wrote back a while ago was quoted, and I'm addressing what I wrote.

^Not necessarily. I've been in the HR field for a bunch of years and have worked with global organizations. Companies take there screening processes seriously and they have to be in uniform. If one person in a company gets screened, they all do, with the exceptions of different job classes (like a person being exempt, non-exempt, 10-99,etc).

Although I'm sure there are a few companies that do...most companies wouldn't because they would leave themselves SERIOUSLY venerable to lawsuits if a person didn't fit inside the hiring criteria and were hired anyway.