TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The official NFL Discussion Thread

spaceace12

Well that was definitely not the outcome that I was expecting or hoping for. I also wondered about Palmer's finger as some of those passes were just so horrendous. But then again, I noticed both Manning and Brady miss horribly on a lot of passes that would have seemed to be gimmes too.

That Cardinals/Panthers game was like a flashback to the last three Buffalo SB losses where the Bills could not do anything right from the get-go. It was just awful to watch them fail like that when you KNOW that they are a better team than what they showed.

I guess that my preference would be to see Manning go out on top now. But if Carolina wins, I certainly won't lose any sleep over it...they are a fun team to watch.

At least it's not the Patriots/Seattle again.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^So much for that.

Good news for me: there's still a Trojan captaining a team in the Super Bowl, so go Carolina! Bummed Carson choked (his finger injury has to be worse than reported...)

Yeah, funny game that football, two or three plays here and there and it's a completely different game. The missed PAT, the missed conversion on 4th and 1 with 5 minutes left, and obviously the 2 point conversion. Gotta give Denver credit their defensive front whipped New England all day and was the difference in the game.

I was mostly pulling for the Patriots because I thought they would make a better Superbowl match up against the NFC champ, now I wouldn't be surprised to see Carloina beat Denver the same way Seattle did a few years back. Carolina has hit their stride here in the playoffs and just look unstoppable. I know the Cards had 7 turnovers but despite that they were outmatched all day in all phases. I'm hoping for an exciting Superbowl but wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit one sided.

Bad news for me: there's still a Trojan captaining a team in the Super Bowl...

Despite this, I am not going to let my love of UCLA and my hate of USC decide who I root for in the Super Bowl. Go Panthers.

That's because you don't learn how to win a big game at UCLA.

Bad news for me: there's still a Trojan captaining a team in the Super Bowl...

Despite this, I am not going to let my love of UCLA and my hate of USC decide who I root for in the Super Bowl. Go Panthers.

That's because you don't learn how to win a big game at UCLA.

I gotta agree with you on that one.

A Trojan has been in the Super Bowl 45/50 times, and won MVP 3 times!

But anyways...

On to the game...

Panthers are rolling, but Denver's defense is also rolling. The one thing that really slows down a running QB/running game is a defense that can maintain their gaps and bring pressure...which happens to be what Denver is really good at.

I was mostly pulling for the Patriots because I thought they would make a better Superbowl match up against the NFC champ, now I wouldn't be surprised to see Carloina beat Denver the same way Seattle did a few years back. Carolina has hit their stride here in the playoffs and just look unstoppable. I know the Cards had 7 turnovers but despite that they were outmatched all day in all phases. I'm hoping for an exciting Superbowl but wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit one sided.

I thought the same thing the first time the Bills went to the Super Bowl after they blew the pants off the Raiders 51-3 in their first AFC Championship game in '91...and we all know how that SB turned out.

As you mentioned - funny game, that football.

On any given Sunday, as they say...

Bills Dominate Raiders In AFC Championship

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't care who's in this year (since I am a Steeler fan), but from the beginning I wanted the Patriots nowhere near the SB. Luckily, they didn't get there this year

My game choice: going with the Broncos only for the sake that (hopefully) Manning will announce his retirement after the game.

Thank goodness March Madness is next month...

That game was brutal. I've never seen a SuperBowl where both teams looked like they were picking up a football for the first time in their lives. They're going to try to make this about Peyton Manning but honestly I almost forgot he was even supposed to be participating in this game. Both offenses played like ass.

Every year I forget how weird Superbowl games get with the extra long commercial break, and ll the extra pauses, and the 30 minute halftime, it's always a weird game and yeah neither team every really got into any kind of rhythm which totally played in to Denver's game. Was it just me or did Denver get every break in that game, Peyton would fumble and the ball would bounce right up in to his hands, a weird no fair catch on a punt that kind of looked like a fair catch that turned into a 50 yard return, a field goal off the post, a fumble rolling 10 yards forward into the hand of a Denver running back in stride. It was a wonky game, and Denver has been winning wonky games all year.

Boy did I whiff on my prediction. Denver's defense was incredible, and Carolina looked like they let the moment get the best of them.

Agreed - Carolina looked like they weren't ready for prime time while Wade Phillip's defense was pretty much solid the entire game.

With that being said, I ended up about $40 in the hole on my SB office pools. Random #'s are so much easier than trying to predict the outcome of a football game (that's why I quit playing Pick 'Em and the point spread tickets), but this wasn't the year to hit big, I guess.

Anywho....congrats to Peyton and the Broncos!

I have been so busy I have yet to watch a whole game. Now that you can watch the commercials online I probably won't watch the Super Bowl either.

And the commercials pretty much sucked this year, didn't they? I only remember two or three that I thought were good.

The key to beating a team with a running QB is gap control...stay where you belong instead of falling for the temptation of following the ball (or ball fake). Denver did that and dominated their 1-1 battles.

Cam Newton not knowing how to react to losing shows a lot about his true character. I honestly thought it was cool he was having so much fun and handing kids balls, but his fun appears to be more of the "spoiled brat" variety and not the "I'm just enjoying being paid a lot of money to play the game I love" variety.

Edited by Jew

Now for one of the rare moments in this thread actually relates to theme parks...

So my dad's good friend was at the park with his kids and was watching a parade when he noticed Peyton Manning. I guess "I'm going to Disneyland" isn't just an ad after all.

^It's always been that way since 1987. They do WDW and Disneyland, and the MVP walks away with a nice check and free vacation for him and his family.

Edited by Jew

^ and ^^ it just depends on where the Super Bowl is and it's proximity to either park for logistical reasons. Last year the SB was in Phoenix, and Malcolm Butler and Julian Edelman went to DL.

Next year's SB LI is in Texas (Houston, NRG Stadium). Anyone want to place a bet on which park a player from the winning team will go to?

After next year it's Minnesota in 2018 (Again a toss-up), and then 2019 and 2020 will be decided later this year, but all of the finalists are in the Southeast (Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, Tampa).

Why did Manning go, and not Von Miller? Miller was MVP.

I was wondering this too, I mean I get that Manning is the better choice for everyone involved, but I mean he wasn't the MVP. Malcom Smith went to DisneyWorld instead of Russell Wilson, freakin Peyton.

On a side note I never think about a trip to the park the day after the Superbowl, but that Monday is always a crappy unproductive day at work anyways, next year a long weekend at Disney with the Monday in the magic Kingdom might be kind of cool. Superbowl is in Houston next year, I wonder which park gets the nod for the parade when the game is played exactly in the middle of the country haha.

The key to beating a team with a running QB is gap control...stay where you belong instead of falling for the temptation of following the ball (or ball fake). Denver did that and dominated their 1-1 battles.

Cam Newton not knowing how to react to losing shows a lot about his true character. I honestly thought it was cool he was having so much fun and handing kids balls, but his fun appears to be more of the "spoiled brat" variety and not the "I'm just enjoying being paid a lot of money to play the game I love" variety.

Yeah, that's how you do it, but it was odd that Carolina really got away from designed QB runs with Newton which is something they were so effective with all year. They had one in the first half and gained 20 some yards but I don't remember them even attempting one after that. No QB draws, not much read option after they almost fumbled the mesh point once, no QB sweeps, nothing. I realize setting the edge against Von Miller and Demarcus Ware aint the easiest assignment in the world but Carolina really never got in their rhythm at all.

And as far as Cam's post game performance, maybe I just don't care but sometimes I think people look into that stuff way too much. No one remembers when Peyton Manning walked off the field and didn't shake hands with Drew Brees after Superbowl 44 but it happened. Newton walked out of an interview, Manning walked off the field, it happens, who cares.

FWIW Malcolm Smith (SEA) was the MVP in 2014. Last year Brady was the MVP and it was Edelman and Butler that went. So who knows what the deciding factors are. Most likely it's a combination of game performance, career performance, popularity and then "brand factor" (how much the player fits the Disney Brand) - <-- My own attribute.