The official NFL Discussion Thread

spaceace12

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This contract is beyond ridiculous. A 36-year old singing a 5 year contract for $19.2 million a year. He has maybe 3 years tops left in him.

It's actually a very reasonable contract for a top-5 qb (Which he ofcourse is when healthy). There are no bonuses involved. He get 20 million or so this year. That is the only guaranteed figure. Next year he has to pass a physical or he doesn't get paid. If he gets hurt next year he won't be paid in 2014. If they eventually have to cut him, it doesn't affect the cap much since there are no pro rated signing bonus. It's a very reasonable contract in my opinion. He plays and he gets paid.

The one who must be licking his chops is Drew Brees. He just set a NFL record and the Saints want to pay him 14 million. As a Falcons fan who didn't have much to cheer about this off season i hope he takes them to the cleaners.

Tim Tebow traded to the Jets along with a 7th round pick. Broncos get 4th and 6th round picks. Let the never-ending mediapocalypse begin.

Oh, and Sean Payton is suspended for 1 year. Saints lose 2nd round picks and $500,000 from the checkbook. That's pretty big news. Too bad all we'll be hearing is Tebow-manina for the next ETERNITY.

I want to feel bad for Tebow getting traded, but i don't. If anything, I feel bad for Orton for getting thrown out of Denver because of Tebowmania.

as for the saints and they're coaching staff, they deserve it.

I want to feel bad for Tebow getting traded, but i don't. If anything, I feel bad for Orton for getting thrown out of Denver because of Tebowmania.
Orton didn't get thrown out because of Tebowmania, he got replaced because he went 1-4. Tebow won 8 games with the same team. Say what you will of his QB skills, he won the games.

While Orton did go 1-4, the team averaged 4 more points when he was on the team and the defense gave up around 6 less points per game when Tebow was starting.

Overall though, i think they're a better team with Manning than they were with Orton or Tebow.

oh, and the eagles really ought to get rid of Andy Reid

Surprised there is not more on here about the suspensions.

Was watching the NFL network the other day and had a chuckle. Discussing the suspensions from the bounty program was a grad of Thug U, Warren Sapp, and he had his twitter name on the screeen: @qbkilla

• 3 weeks later...

As a Saints fan, getting a Super Bowl was worth every penny. The penalties seem a bit stiff, but no matter.

And as far as all this player and media "outrage" about everything, it's all a giant crock. The NFL is a culture of violence. Just 2 years ago ESPN was running "Jacked Up!" segments. The NFL is just trying to cover it's own -ss for future lawsuits that are coming.

And one last thing, Payton getting a year while Belicheck got nothing for actually cheating is pretty ridiculous.

^Apples to oranges, and I'm pretty sure Belichek didn't lie to the commissioner. I agree that the penalty for Sean Payton is a little bit stiff but in all reality the one year suspension is for covering up the bounty program and denying it multiple times more so than the bounties program itself. Don't lie to the commissioner, and if you do and get caught, expect to be made an example of.

This contract is beyond ridiculous. A 36-year old singing a 5 year contract for $19.2 million a year. He has maybe 3 years tops left in him.

It's a lot of money, but i can guarantee you that manning is worth a hell of a lot more to the organization than the $96 million dollars they are going to pay him. Think of all of the extra jerseys, season tickets, merchandise etc they will sell just because of him. All of the extra press and attention Denver will get every day on Sportscenter just because Manning play for them now, the increase in ratings for Broncos games just because Manning is on the field, all of the advertising that he will do in a Bronco Uniform. Denver will get their money's worth whether Manning wins or not.

^ To reiterate me point, the NFL released their schedule last night and the Broncos have 5 games in Primetime this upcoming season as opposed to 2 last year. The leading story on sports talk radio this morning was the NFl schedule and week one Steelers at the Broncos. The only reason Denver is even being discuessed by anyone 5 months away from the start of the season has everything to do with a guy named Peyton Manning, $96 million doesn't seem so outrageous when you think about it like that.

Wow...the Bills should have jumped on that as they need one and have two seventh round picks.

Although, if they use the 10th pick on a CB tomorrow night, I'm gonna be pissed! I think we need to take LB Kuechly from BC, but would also be happy if one of the LT's (Kalil or Reiff) or receivers (Blackmon or Floyd) fell down to us. I'm sure they can pick up a decent CB later in the rounds to groom, so would be happy with Williams and McGee as next year's starters.

^^ I don't know, something seems a little off when the Patriots let you go in the prime of your career and the Eagles trade you for a 7th round pick, not saying he's not a great player (he is) but why does he keep wearing out his welcome everywhere he goes? Maybe it's all about money, but I don't think it is.

^Whoever they draft, the Bills are shaping up to be next year's Lions. I like some of the pieces they have and think they might have a nice year. Doesn't help to play in the same division with the Patriots and Jets but the Jets are on a bit of a slide lately. Other than the Steelers, Ravens, Patriots and maybe Texans the rest of the AFC gets real average real fast AFC, if Buffalo can win a few big games they might have a shot at the second wild card. Then again they are still Buffalo..... no offense

^None taken! I know they suck too!

But seriously, I think that this is a year that we might actually compete with the division foes for the title. For once in the last five or so years, we don't have one of the toughest schedules in the league which certainly helps and we have upgraded at much needed positions (D-Line).

As you said, if we can squeeze out some wins against good teams this year, we might finally be able to break that playoff jinx!

It is amazing at how dedicated Bills fans are despite all of the losing seasons...we keep coming back for more. We know we shouldn't get our hopes up even though we do every year and every year the losses seem to hurt even more.

It is amazing how one signing (Super Mario) and all of a sudden season ticket sales go through the roof at the Ralph. I am definitely psyched to drive up and see a game this year being that (on paper) it looks like we could have a pretty mean defense this year.

Still got my fingers crossed for Keuchly tonight and a 10/10 on draft choices this year! Go Bills!

The Draft is over, who does everyone like? Since I live in Jacksonville I guess I'm somewhat of a Jags fan by default so I love the move to get Blackmon but WTF is up with taking a punter in the 3rd round? I mean if he turns out to be a perennial pro Bowler than it is worth it, but it seems like there were a lot of other needs that could have been addressed with that pick.

^That does indeed seem like an awfully high draft pick to spend on a punter. You'd think you could get a quality guy in a much later round.

Haven't really looked at the drafts for my two favorite teams (Eagles and Steelers). Will say that RG3 is in for a tough time in DC, since he's not going to have anyone around him to help him out.

dt

Drafting a punter, especially in the third round, has to be the biggest insult an offensive coordinator could ever receive.

As a Dolphins fan, I'm indifferent to any draft picks anymore. Eventually we'll find the right chemistry, and all the pieces will fall into place for a Super Bowl run. But until that lightning gets caught in the bottle, I'll just keep hope alive.

I did find it funny that a fellow Phins fan mentioned to me the other day that we haven't had a quarterback pan out since Marino. My response: well, as much as I love Danny boy, if the ultimate goal is the Lombardi Trophy, then he technically didn't pan out either.

Drafting a punter, especially in the third round, has to be the biggest insult an offensive coordinator could ever receive.

Taking into consideration the effectiveness of the Jags offense, and the fact that the new head coach is a former offensive coordinator the punter might have actually been a smart pick........

Overall, I was happy with the Bills draft. We addressed most of our needs even though I was very disappointed that Carolina took Kuechly from underneath us with the 9th pick. I was pretty sure that's who Buddy wanted, but we had to settle for the next best player - Gilmore.

• 3 months later...

NFL action kicks off tonight, who does everyone like this season, and bold predictions? Here are my divisional, wild card, and Superbowl predictions.

AFC:

North- Pittsburgh

East- New England

South- Tennessee

West- San Diego

Wild Cards- Kansas City, Baltimore

NFC:

North- Chicago

East- Philadelphia

South- Tampa Bay

West- Seattle

WIld Cards- Green Bay, NY Giants

Super Bowl: New England Patriots vs. Chicago Bears

I know some of those picks are a bit unconventional this year but just remember that every year someone makes the playoffs out of no where and there is always a team that made the playoff the previous season that misses it this season. I think the NFC West will be a competitive division, and just about anyone except the Cardinals could win. If you remember last year EVERYONE had picked the Rams to walk away with that division before everyone got hurt and they finished 2-14 and San Fran came out of no where to nearly make the NFC title game. I think now with everyone healthy that team will be competitive again. Same thing for the AFC West, I think every team has a legit shot at winning the division but with the uncertainty around Peyton Manning I'm picking San Diego. Everyone likes Houston in the AFC South, but they only beat Tennessee by 1 game last year and I think Tennessee has gotten better in the off season where as Houston lost a couple of key players so that division may be more up for grabs than most people think. I felt like the Bears were really close last year before Forte got hurt, now that he is healthy and the addition of Brandon Marshall I think gives them a slight advantage over the Packers who I have a weird feeling might struggle a bit with Aaron Rodgers potentially missing a few games this year for concussions. If the Packers roll it won't be a surprise but for now I'm picking the Bears.