TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cypress Gardens and Wild Adventures to be sold.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Parks America couldn't buy WWW, maybe they'll try to buy these parks. Unless a new company is formed, the only other possible buyers are those who own Magic Springs or Alabama Adventure. Maybe the new owners will be able to invest a lot in the parks as from what I've read on the site, the parks are not that good.

I kinda hope the rumors of the Herschends looking at these parks are false. These parks are nice, but it would take so much work to get them up to Herschend quality, and it may never pay off in CG's case. I want CG to get a good owner, but as for the Herschends, they need to keep to what they're good at, otherwise the other parks may loose some of their individualized charm and feel.

Poor CG though, I'd kill to have a park like that near me, but it just can't compete viably with the big Florida players, or so it seems.

I just hope Wild Adventures gets a good owner. I really loved that park. Sure, most of the coasters are either clones or suck, but the park was really nice and well themed. It's almost like a BGA working on a much smaller budget and a much smaller market.

Are you serious? When was the last time you went to the park? I went for the first time this year, and it was pretty sad. The park was completly empty, and it was really dirty. The theming was horrible. The animal exibits looked very inhumane.

I visited CG late last year...I do feel bad for the park. I appreciate what the new owners are trying to do, but the park really does pale in comparison to its bigger brothers in Orlando and Tampa.

The worst part is how OUT OF THE WAY the dang park is, I swear, when we went in December last year, it took me longer to get there, then it does for me to drive to Universal from Tampa. I can't name highways, but I recall a TOLL road.

It really is a shame, but I don't give it that many more years.

Well, hopefully it will stay open as they said in the news piece.. I'm scheduled to go there in December to check it out. It's a park I heard a lot about since I was a kid, and seems to have gone through a lot of changes. (Some good, some bad..) But from what I've seen, I've only planned half a day there, (or less). The Christmas lights sound like they should be seen though, if they still plan on doing that.

Hmmm, I wonder what direction the new owners will take with these parks. Never been to Cypress Gardens, but been to Wild Adventures last year. It was 'aiight' so to speak, but nowhere near Busch Gardens quality. Thier flats are alright, but I hope they balance out the coasters, though since they are far too many kiddie coasters and less 'family' and thrill coasters. Its too early too tell what will really happen. Lets just hope whatever desicion they make is for the better.

I would just like to say....to all the people who thought I was crazy when I said the new Cypress Gardens would NEVER work out and it would end up taking Wild Adventures down with it.....

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

I'm surprised it took this long....

I saddens me because I really think that Wild Adventures is a nice little "local" park. And Cypress Gardens, if it was ANYWHERE other than just outside Orlando would be a GREAT park.

Anyway...it will be interesting to see the fate of these two places.

--Robb

Looks like Dollywoods owners may buy Wild Adventures.

Here is some info about the prices asked and stuff.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20070908/NEWS/709080402/1004/news

Quote from article,

An initial bid has already come forward for Wild Adventures. Herschend Family Entertainment of Missouri, plans to bid $34.5 million on the Valdosta park. Herschend owns parks in Missouri, Tennessee and Georgia, including Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., and Stone Mountain Park near Atlanta

^Arg... So the rumors were true. Well, the Herschends know what they're doing, I just hope they don't end up throwing their money in a pit with CG. I can see them really diversifying the place though with some shopping and live entertainment, not to mention loads of thematics; that could enable it to live.

Poor CG though, I'd kill to have a park like that near me.

You would? Really?

Easy on Shavethewhales. He just lost Bells this year. Closest thing for him is Frontier City. Yeech!

Yeah, this place would have pwned Bell's (at least as it was when it closed). Right now I have only a Scwartzkopf looping star to ride unless I want to make a road trip.

Actually, now that I think about it, wouldn't it make more sense to gut CG of most of it's rides and promote the gardens up-front? They could keep the woodies and a handful of rides on the side, and lose a great deal of their operating costs while still being a delightful road-side stop and local attraction. I just don't see the Herschends trying to compete with Disney World or Busch Gardens.

^Arg... So the rumors were true. Well, the Herschends know what they're doing, I just hope they don't end up throwing their money in a pit with CG.

Actually, the article just says that they made on offer on Wild Adventures--not Cypress Gardens.

Seems like an odd park for them, though. I mean, WA is basically just out in a flat field. Very much different from what they're used to.

Electerik

Facilitator of Fit

Have you seen that for most of September Cypress Gardens is having an experiment where from Mon-Thursday the rides and waterpark won't be operating,I was like WHAT!!I think they're calling it Garden Days and admission is $19.95,I mean I don't know what's going on at that park,I just hope whoever buys it knows how to run it!!

^Monday-Thursdays in September are not a peak time for operation for the rides and slides. Kids are back in school and its not the tourist season yet. If the park still operated the rides then, they'd be losing money. So why not just operate the least expensive part of the park?

And to prove another point, SFMM (a park that could be open all year), has a limited weekends only schedule during the winter months because of operation costs/lack of guests.