TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best And Worst Things Ever

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst: Well, this actually happened a few times. At Wild West World, my friend had some glasses that fell off of the ride, but luckily, it had high laterals so it just went into a field rather than 'into' the ride. But anyway, it was the end of the day, and our last ride, so we went to guest relations and told them what happened, so they walkie-talkied them and the maintenance guys said that we had to come back tomorrow to get them! What park has a 'tomorrow' policy? And the lady's like, "The policy is that they can get them at the end of the day." And so the maintenance people argued and argued while the GR lady told them nicely. Anyway, after like 10 minutes of non-stop bickering, we got them back with angry faces to greet us.

Best: Hmmm, well, we were at SFMM, and I was so happy that Viper was walk-on and that the ride-ops just let us stay on without having to go back in line. We were the only ones riding for like 8 times! X was also walk-on, but I can't stand that ride. The ride-ops were very friendly, and dispatched a train about every 45-60 seconds! Kudos to them!

^^^Thanks Chadley. It didn't make sense to throw them out when they were still good to use and knowing how every little thing in the parks is expensive, especially when you have kids(which I don't but I have nieces and nephews)even just to buy those express passes cost alot of money. Going to a park like Universal can be expensive for a family so I was glad to help out!

Best-Driving to Cedar Point for a two day trip, having thunderstorms in the forcast both days, and not actually getting anything worse than overcast skies! Made for some low lines though. (15 minutes for MF and Dragster).

Worst-Any one train operation on crowded days (Darien has been known to do this on everything except Viper, though i've noticed it less this year on the ROS. Six Flags America did it on all the major steel coasters when I went (though that was three years ago).

Best: The crowd-clearing and shoe ruining downpour at BGE that freed-up Roman Rapids for a friend and I to ride 4 times in a row with no wait. We got even more drenched and had to by flip-flops.

Worst:

Embarrassing Opryland Story

Was really hot and didn't get very wet on Grizzly River Rampage, so the girlfriend and I decided to walk over to Old Mill Scream (chute the chutes). Got the brilliant idea of standing on the bridge that crosses the ride channel. Stood at the extreme left end where there's a deck that sticks out further than the rest of the bridge. "This is gonna be great! I'm gonna get sooooo wet! Yay!" I thought. Boat came down, wall of water came up...and smacked me right in the crotch, hard. I fell over and was seeing stars. The girlfriend comes running up to see if I'm ok, then helps me up. Now, my crotch is soaked, acheing, and cold. My upper body is still hot and dry. So on top of everything else, it looks like wet myself.

Oh but wait, there's more! We go into a nearby gift shop, ahead of a church youth group, to get towels and I notice this store has polished rocks. My girlfriend is big into caving and has taught me about different kinds of rocks. She's on the other side of the store when I recognize one of the kinds of rocks she likes, those purple ones. I become excited and say loudly across a crowded store, "Hey Beth! Look! There are some of those...those...Atheists!" You could hear a pin drop followed by the whiplash from the youthgroup. Embarrassed girlfriend scowls at me and says, "Those are AMETHISTS!" and walks out of the store. Now the youth group is glaring at me and I'm still cold, wet and hurting from water blast a few minutes earlier. I sheepishly dashed out of the store and tried to apologize to the girlfriend who eventually forgave me, wet pants, no brains, and all.

Worst: Going to SFGAM to ride Z-Force and Deja Vu early in their debut season and finding them non-operational until later trips.

Best: Going to SFMM for the Tatsu media day and having Revolution (which was slated as non-operating) open up, and me getting to ride it any number of times including the promo shot where it "dueled" with Tatsu and had fireworks for the event and televised.

Worst:

On a Class Trip (8th grade, so last year) to Hersheypark, the first thing we did was Chocolate World (of course), and what really pissed me and almost everyone off was that no matter what we did, our pictures got censored. One group made some peace signs (they were imitating Asian tourists), and they got censored.

Later, losing my group so I had to stick with that same group of chums that all they wanted to do was go to the Dome Arcade and stay there all day. Now THAT is annoying when Storm Rider and Wildcat were so close...yet so far...grrrrr...

Best: On that same trip, riding Lightning Racer with the only person in that arcade-faring group to wait in line with me. We sat the in front seat on the same train and it was fun.

Then finding my original group at the Mine Cart Arcade playing all the GOOD arcade games. We then roamed around until 5:00PM, when we were supposed to head for the buses. At that time, it started to rain a little bit, so we didn't mind. I had some extra cash, so I bought some white cheese pizza (no sauce, just the way I like it...) I ate that in the rain, and the best part was running to our busses, in the POURING rain 10 minutes later!

Worst-being asked by ride ops to go get my shoes for a vekoma slc by the beach by a waterpark, i was in my sandals at the water park but apparently you need your shoes to get on the ride just to take them off.

Best-walking on and off the millenium force in hotel ERT. And also riding the beast 6 times in a row without getting off in the pitch black darkness and the on and off rain showers, that was awesome.

Worst: Brazilian tour groups at the Florida parks who cut in line in masses and don't listen to anything you have to say (whether or not they know English doesn't matter)

Ha, that's a funny one! Try working at one of the popcorn stands at BGA and having ALL of them SIMULTANEOUSLY want you to serve them. "One at a time please!" fell on deaf ears. They even through dollar bills at me like I was a stripper..not even wanting their change. Everytime I saw one of those green or yellow flags I'd PRAY they wouldn't come to my cart.

As an addendum to my first post in this thread I forgot to mention a tie for the Best Category:

Getting the whole train on The Beast at King's Island to myself before the ride opened to the public that day. On the first ride of the day I rode with the park's PR person.

• 2 years later...

First - for the most annoying:

I can't decide, because I have so many pet peeves, but I choose that moment when one boy from some British family was putting mulch down my Bermudas like a half hour before Mickey's Once Upon A Christmastime Parade as I sit on the bench near the end of my half-day in the Magic Kingdom. (Can apply to any parade in a theme park that has one - there's plenty of mulch to go around and leave you wondering, "What is that?")

Best thing about a theme park (besides rides): the walkaround costumed characters (Disney is one of them, fellas, and I'm loving it!)

I don't have something too bad that's happened to me at a park (yet) but on my way to Kings Island I got a text from my friend saying that SOB was closed. I still wanted to ride it see what it was like, and to get the credit. Throwing up after Invertigo also sucked.

My best experience at a park was Terminator Media Day. Not only did I get to ride Terminator before the public, but I also got 4 hours (6-10, after the park closed) of ERT on Terminator, Deja Vu, Tatsu, X2, Goliath, Batman, and Riddler's (I think that's everything that was open). Anyone that was there can tell you it was EMPTY!

Best:

Volunteering at Math and Physics day at CW and riding Behemoth about 8 times in a row (in the front) with another volunteer because all the students left hours before closing time.

Equally Best:

Going to IoA and Universal in February of 05 and getting all my passes for free from a friend that worked there, plus a bunch of front of the line passes (that we didn't need because both parks were dead and we were able to finish both parks in about half a day)

Worst:

Working Grad Night at CW in 03. Pouring rain, overnight shift, teens yelling at you because rides are closed, yelling at teens to stop walking in restricted areas, having a shitty dance music station set up their booth right next to my ride and playing their filth the entire night.

Worst: Some employees at the Puyallup Fair. Some.

Hybrid: Some people blatantly line jumping me at SCBB, and then talking amongst themselves and deciding not to! I didn't even do anything; I didn't even shift my position at all or send out angry vibes, and there were no parents or ops saying not to. They just decided to be polite after all.

Best: Mini-marathoning Giant Dipper. Oh, and riding the ring carousel!

Honorable mentions: Disneyland with exit access (too bad it was the slowest season anyway), or finding change on the ground anywhere (why don't people realize it will fall out?).

Best: Last room of Happy Jack's Toy Factory. Or walking though Fright Zone with some Milkshakes. My friend says to a scary dude,"WOAH!!! This milkshake is good." Then the scary guy says" Does it bring all the boys to the yard?" in his scary voice. ...Clutch.

Worst: Getting evacuated out of the Breakers at 1:08 in the morning.

Then the next year, it happens again. This time, it happened when we got up to our room to unpack, and when we got outside, it started to rain.

We had to walk down up and down nine floors both times. It was fun.

I don't have something too bad that's happened to me at a park (yet) but on my way to Kings Island I got a text from my friend saying that SOB was closed. I still wanted to ride it see what it was like, and to get the credit. Throwing up after Invertigo also sucked.

My best experience at a park was Terminator Media Day. Not only did I get to ride Terminator before the public, but I also got 4 hours (6-10, after the park closed, everyone that was there can tell you how empty the park was) of absolutely no lines on Terminator, Deja Vu, Tatsu, X2, Goliath, Riddler's, and Batman! (I think that's everything that was open.)

My worst park experience was probably the day I went to SFMM and even Scream had an hour long line!

My best experiences were Termy's preview event, and when I went to Disneyland for my birthday with my friends, and seemed to luck out with every line being short even though there were crowds on that day.

Worst: Knott's Berry Farm, was termed in December 2006 because I was "horseplaying" at Xcelerator, despite the fact the operator at Supreme Scream walked by and grabbed my ankle from the midway (I was at acknowledge, the position closest to Dippin' Dots). She was "talked to". I was termed for no other reason than, I didn't stay in my box.

Long live Me being an Xcel ride-op. May-December 2006

Best: When everything was walk-on at BGE all day along. Love that park.

Worst: Verified the park hour at former Six Flags Darien Lake website, yep, open that day. Drove 1 hour only to find ourselves sitting at the parking lot gate waiting for the park to open along with 100 cars waiting behind us. We waited for 1 1/2 hours. The park never opened and nobody answered the phone, email, and mail. That day was a mystery and will always be.

BEST: It has to be a toss-up of going to Hersheypark's Christmas Candylane event on a Thursday night and practically being almost the only person in the park and front seat of Phantom's Revenge.

WORST: Another toss-up between riding The Claw twice in a row, running from Hershey's Pioneer area to the parking lot because of the fear of my classmates leaving without me and Hersheypark in April. I was with a a few friends and a fanboy who was snapping photos at everything that moved.