TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFMM Psyclone, was it ever a great ride?

I believe it was great, before the 1994 Northridge earthquake, which rendered it rough. Aside friom that, do you feel it was lacking in thrilling drops and airtime? At first, I thought Psyclone was better than Colossus, but as the years passed I reversed my decision. What do you think?

-Chris "An Intamin woodie would be great in that spot" Smirnoff

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wished I couldve rode Psyclone. I want to ride all the cyclones in the south and east. The only one I did ride for years was the Texas Cyclone. It was a classic until they did some reprofiling a few years after it opened due to a lawsuit. There's video of it when it rode in its glory days.

Psyclone was ok when it opened but later visits were pretty bad. It was similar to the Texas Cyclone, but the there were a lot of differences especially in the turns where psyclone has much more banked turns than the TX Cyclone.

It is kind of strange that they were torn down almost a year apart but for very different reasons..

I believe it was great, before the 1994 Northridge earthquake, which rendered it rough. Aside friom that, do you feel it was lacking in thrilling drops and airtime? At first, I thought Psyclone was better than Colossus, but as the years passed I reversed my desicion. What do you think?

Wow, you really loved that ride.

I first rode in 2000, it beat the crap out of me. But I think a lot of the roughness came from the trains(they were just too heavy), its a shame that Six Flags did not put a pair of PTC's on the ride. Lighter, more comfortable trains could of made this ride one of the most popular rides in the park.

I'm another person that liked Psyclone. I want to say my first ride was in 1994. My last ride on it was October 2002.

My best ride I have to say was on a night in November 1997, it had rained so the tracks were really wet. It was the smoothest, fastest ride I ever had on it.

A few things I miss about the ride...

- The original queue. Especially at night, it was all isolated, lots of trees. No field of switchbacks, just a path that meandered through the woods so to speak. When they built Deja, it was the queue became an afterthought.

- That drop near the station (wasnt it a double down). At night it could seriously catch you by suprise.

I dont miss how in its later years it ran so slow through the curves. The high banking meant you always slipped in your seats, not very comfortable.

I believe it was great, before the 1994 Northridge earthquake, which rendered it rough. Aside friom that, do you feel it was lacking in thrilling drops and airtime? At first, I thought Psyclone was better than Colossus, but as the years passed I reversed my desicion. What do you think?

Wow, you really loved that ride.

I did like it, when it was new. By October 2005, it was very painful. I'm just a little foggy on what airtime once was on that ride.

When Psyclone first Opened it was a fun ride.

When the train left the station and went in the tunnel there was the sound of laughing. The first drop was fun and turns were smooth. First half of the ride wasn't real fast, the hills were nice, but not much air time. The 2nd half of the ride was faster and fun.

I never thought of Psyclone as major wood coaster, but it was worth riding. It didn't take too many years of them heavy trains, and SFMM's lack of maintenance to kill the ride.

I rode it once in december 2006. Apart from the people who were with me on the ride, I didn't like it (the other people made the ride more enjoyable). Too rough... If teeth weren't so strong, I wouldn't have them anymore after the ride.

But I think it must have been a great ride when it was well maintained, etc. I hope it was better than the Pegasus at Efteling (though the Pegasus gets some more credits, because it's a great kiddie woodie). Right now I like the Pegasus more.

I went on it opening year(1991) and it was my favorite coaster in the park(i know, i admit it so you can make fun of me later)

My last ride was in 2005 and it was really brutal. To bad because i really thought it was a great ride to beginn with.

Also opening year the lines were insane, waiting 2 1/2, 3 hours was not unusual for Psyclone. At one visit the line went all the way up to the entrance of Roaring Rapids

When it first opened it was extremely smooth as silk and fast! Extremely enjoyable coaster. For a while there it was my favorite coaster in the park. It used to be way better then Colossus. Then after it broke in, and after the quake it pretty much fell apart from there and got rougher as time went on. But I still enjoyed every ride on it no matter how rough it was in its later years.

Best ride I ever got was my first ride on it in 2003. After the first drop I looked over at my wife and noticed her boob popped out from the violent bouncing the train did, but it did make for a fun ride!

Craig

Duuuude!

Well, you learn something new everyday. I thought it just sucked because it was a Dinn & Summers (I know that is probably wrong...) coaster. I've never heard of that earthquake until now.

My first ride on Psyclone was in August 1991, about five months after it opened. I have to admit that it was a great ride at first, but over the years, it got worse and worse.

One year (1994), they ran it backwards for Fright Fest. That was eight months after the Northridge quake, but for some reason it was still running fairly well then. Riding it backwards (only did it once) wasn't too bad---certainly different, though.

It's too bad that SFMM couldn't have done something to save it, but maybe its demise will open up a need for a newer woodie, and hopefully one by a better designer/manufacturer.

Eric

Best ride I ever got was my first ride on it in 2003. After the first drop I looked over at my wife and noticed her boob popped out from the violent bouncing the train did, but it did make for a fun ride!

Craig

Why didn't you get a picture!?!?!?

I never minded the ride, I just thought it was boring, not rough. The trains seemed too heavy to build up enough speed to take the turns any faster than they did.

What did the 1994 Northridge earthquake do to the area and SFMM...

I have never ridden the woodie due to being so far away, it looked ok and had the same layout as the "Cyclone" in New York.

Why did SFMM not retrack it if it was becoming too rough, were the cars bouncing along the track down the drops.