TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2007 Golden Tickets Announced

Just announced ...

And the winner is ... In an awards’ show today hosted by Dollywood, Pigeon Forge, Tenn., Amusement Today announced the winners of its prestigious 2007 Golden Ticket Awards..

The Golden Ticket Awards are presented to the "Best of the Best" in the amusement industry calculated from an international poll conducted by Amusement Today. Surveys were sent to a database of experienced and well-traveled amusement park fans around the world - in balanced geographical regions - asking them to rate the "bests" in 24 categories such as "amusement parks," "roller coasters," "shows," "friendliest staff" and "water rides." The 2007 winners are ...

Best Amusement Park

Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio

Best Waterpark

Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort, New Braunfels, Texas

Best Children’s Park

Legoland California, Carlsbad, Calif.

Best Marine Life Park

SeaWorld Orlando, Orlando, Fla.

Best Seaside Park

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, Santa Cruz, Calif.

Best Wooden Coaster

The Voyage at Holiday World, Santa Claus, Ind.

Best Steel Coaster

Superman Ride of Steel

at Six Flags New England, Agawam, Mass.

Best Kids’ Area

Kings Island, Kings Mills, Ohio

Friendliest Staff

Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari, Santa Claus, Ind.

Cleanest Park

Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari, Santa Claus, Ind.

Best Halloween Event

The Haunt at Knott’s Berry Farm, Buena Park, Calif.

Best Landscaping - Amusement Park

Busch Gardens Europe, Williamsburg, Va.

Best Landscaping - Waterpark

Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort, New Braunfels, Texas

Best Food

Knoebels Amusement Resort, Elysburg, Pa.

Best Shows

Six Flags Fiesta Texas, San Antonio

Best Outdoor Night Show Production

IllumiNations: Reflections of the Earth

at Walt Disney World’s Epcot Center, Orlando, Fla.

Best Water Ride

Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls

at Universal’s Islands of Adventure, Orlando, Fla.

Best Waterpark Ride

Master Blaster at Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort,

New Braunfels, Texas

Best Dark Ride

Amazing Adventures of Spiderman

at Universal’s Islands of Adventure, Orlando, Fla.

Best New Ride of 2007 - Amusement Park

Maverick at Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio

Best New Ride of 2007 - Waterpark

Bakuli at Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari,

Santa Claus, Ind.

Best Carousel

Grand Carousel at Knoebels Amusement Resort,

Elysburg, Penn.

Best Indoor Roller Coaster

Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster at Disney-MGM, Orlando, Fla.

Best Indoor Waterpark

World Waterpark, West Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

This is the 10th annual year for Amusement Today’s coveted Golden Ticket Awards, which are the most sought-after awards in the business of amusements and attractions. The awards have become the subject of much discussion by park aficionados the world over and have garnered mentions in such notable media outlets as USA TODAY and the Chicago Tribune, by venerable radio newsman Paul Harvey and were the topic of a one-hour documentary on the Travel Channel.

"We applaud this year’s class of Golden Ticket Award winners and finalists for their achievements," says Gary Slade, publisher and editor-in-chief of Amusement Today. "When we began this survey 10 years ago, I never would have dreamed it would become such an anticipated and big sensation. The Golden Ticket Awards have been compared to the Super Bowl or the Academy Awards for the amusement industry %85 these are truly the ’Best of the Best’ as voted by amusement park fans around the world."

Personally chosen by Slade, the Publisher’s Pick Awards are presented in three categories: Park, Individual and Supplier. Respectively, the 2007 recipients are Dollywood, Pigeon Forge, Tenn., for its continuous commitment to excellence and genuine hospitality; the late Milton S. Hershey, Hersheypark, Hershey, Penn., for his fortitude, vision and compassion; and National Ticket Co., Shamokin, Penn., for 100 years of outstanding ticketing service in the amusement industry.

For the third consecutive year, Amusement Today recognized college students who plan to pursue a career in the amusement industry and are employed by the ceremony’s host park of Dollywood and Dollywood’s Splash Country, as well as area amusement parks Lake Winnepesaukah, Chattanooga, Tenn.; and Ripley Entertainment, Gatlinburg, Tenn., as Ms. and Mr. Golden Tickets. These individuals exemplify the spirit and integrity

of the amusement park industry by promoting the cornerstones of safety, service, courtesy and cleanliness at the highest level, while consistently exceeding job expectations. This is an annual designation by Amusement Today to promote education in the field of hospitality and amusement, as well as to spotlight future leaders in the amusement industry.

Amusement Today newspaper covers international amusement and water park news and trends and in its 11-year history is a five-time winner of various awards from the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions.

For a detailed outline of the 2007 winners and survey results, please log on to amusementtoday.com. News media may also call the Amusement Today offices at 817.460.7220 for interviews or more information about the Golden Ticket Awards.

Download all the winners here.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Best New Ride of 2007 - Amusement Park

Maverick at Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio

Best New Ride of 2007 - Waterpark

Bakuli at Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari,

Santa Claus, Ind.

It changed from last year, though what does Bakuli have over other Toilet Bowl slides out there?

I think we should start the Donkey awards. We should have categories such as these:

Best Park Ever

Best Coaster Ever

Best Death Machine

Best Trash Cans (subcategories for Cedar Fair and non Cedar Fair parks)

Better-Than-Voyage Award - For some of those great woodies that Amusement Today doesn't even know about

Better-Than-Schlitterbahn Award - For the best water park

"Taer It Down!1" award for the Worst Ride Ever

Most Painful Ride Ever

Most Boring Ride Ever

Most Overrated Ride Ever

Most Underrated Ride Ever

Trashiest park

Cedar-Fair-Park-With-The-Most-Trashcans award

Lamest theming

Amazing But I Hate It award

WTF? award

Cedar Point is not the best park out there in my opinion and I honestly get tired of them winning every year.

I also find it tacky they would go to Dollywood and then give the award to Holiday World. They should have reversed that since Dollywood won last year.

Some of the picks I agree with, while Voyage is far from perfect, it's currently my #1 wooden coaster.

I've yet to ride Superman, so I can't comment on it.

I'm glad that Carowinds came in 3rd again for kid's area since it's my home park.

They forgot "Best way to start a 100 page thread about useless awards - Golden Tickets."

Okay, I'm gonna revise my statement. I should have said *mostly* useless awards.

The more I think about it, if receiving a Golden Ticket makes a park feel good about itself, and further encourages it to maintain its level of "goldenness" (yeah, my English superpowers at work), then at least they accomplish something.

Just like any other awards, everyone gets mad. I don't think I can argue with anything on here. Looks like a good list to me.

As far as Cedar Point being the best park again, how is that wrong? Should they give it to a new park every year or should they give it to the park that deserves it. Cedar Point is the all around best park, no doubt about it.

10 Reasons why CP is not #1:

1- No Q-bots, or any other fast pass system. I went to CP last Sunday, and Maverick's queue spilled out onto the midway for at least 100 yards. CP is the best park, yet they can't even install a large enough queue to accomodate Maverick's line?

2- The hotels just ain't that nice, yet they cost as much as some 4 or 5 diamond hotels.

3- The counter service level food is awful. And there aren't enough sit down restaurants to really call CP a resort. Let's see. Would I rather eat at the Yachtman's steakhouse, or TGI Fridays?

4- The kiddie area is pathetic. Kings Island whomps them in this department.

5- The park is ugly. Not nearly enough theming or shade.

6- The vast majority of the coasters are just average.

7- Bird poop all over the parking lot.

8- If you're not into thrill rides, there isn't much to do apart from eat.

9- No shooting dark ride, or regular dark ride. They have the Peanuts licensed. Why not put this to good use?

10- They refuse to install another wooden coaster.

All this being said, I do enjoy going to CP for the most part. There are a lot of rides packed into that park. I just don't think they're #1, not even close.

Ugggghhhhh... The awards PDF was TERRIBLE to read. Pretty much just a huge advertisement. I'm also sorta suprised Maverick didn't place higher. Must be those ACEers that think that bigger is always better (When it comes to both coasters and people ) that voted it lower.

10 Reasons why CP is not #1:

1- No Q-bots, or any other fast pass system. I went to CP last Sunday, and Maverick's queue spilled out onto the midway for at least 100 yards. CP is the best park, yet they can't even install a large enough queue to accomodate Maverick's line?

2- The hotels just ain't that nice, yet they cost as much as some 4 or 5 diamond hotels.

3- The counter service level food is awful. And there aren't enough sit down restaurants to really call CP a resort. Let's see. Would I rather eat at the Yachtman's steakhouse, or TGI Fridays?

4- The kiddie area is pathetic. Kings Island whomps them in this department.

5- The park is ugly. Not nearly enough theming or shade.

6- The vast majority of the coasters are just average.

7- Bird poop all over the parking lot.

8- If you're not into thrill rides, there isn't much to do apart from eat.

9- No shooting dark ride, or regular dark ride. They have the Peanuts licensed. Why not put this to good use?

10- They refuse to install another wooden coaster.

All this being said, I do enjoy going to CP for the most part. There are a lot of rides packed into that park. I just don't think they're #1, not even close.

Terrible list of reasons!! LOL

My two favorite are:

1) The coasters are average

2) The park is ugly

LOL you are nutz