TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR: Kemah Boardwalk and Boardwalk Bullet grand opening

I was there Monday and the brakes on the brakes run brings the train to a total stop which takes too much time to get in the station. I think they should take the brake off and let the 2nd brake bring it to a stop. I am not sure how many brakes coasters have now but back when I was on the Texas Cyclone, we had 3 brakes and The first brake was only used when there was another train already in the station, but that was in the 70's when i worked there and the brakes were manually operated. The BB brake run stops it totally.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 3 magnetic brake assemblies and one fin brake assembly. Before the ride opened they removed one of the magnetic brake assemblies to try to resolve the issue. While the train no longer slowed to a crawl coming out of the brakes...it didn't really stop in them either...causing the fin brake to grab with full force. I imagine that isn't a pleasant stop. Two train operation would be impossible if they removed one of the mag brakes.

When they are running one train the fin brake on the brake run is off...allowing the train to go straight through. However, the magnetic brakes are permanent and can't be "turned off", so the train still slows.

There are 3 magnetic brake assemblies and one fin brake assembly. Before the ride opened they removed one of the magnetic brake assemblies to try to resolve the issue. While the train no longer slowed to a crawl coming out of the brakes...it didn't really stop in them either...causing the fin brake to grab with full force. I imagine that isn't a pleasant stop. Two train operation would be impossible if they removed one of the mag brakes.

When they are running one train the fin brake on the brake run is off...allowing the train to go straight through. However, the magnetic brakes are permanent and can't be "turned off", so the train still slows.

?? The train(one train) stopped yesterday the same way it did on Friday with 2 trains, for a few seconds and then cleared to the station.

hey, what's up?

I'm new here, and just had to join because I rode the Bullet for the first time today, twice actually, which, granted is nothing compared to most of you.

Still, I have to say... I have never experienced a woodie like that. I thought many people on here were speaking in hyperbole about this coaster going immediately to their Top Ten, but now I see differently.

True, I've only ridden maybe 70 coasters or so, but I consider myself pretty discerning. And the truth is, I don't even know how to describe this ride. It's at turns violent, smooth, shocking, completely unpredictable, and pure fun.

My second ride was in the last row on the right, and not only was the initial drop a shocker of ejector air, but the following sidewind at the bottom threw me violently into the seat divider. I didn't care. The ride was so brilliantly disorienting and fun, and the ejector air so endophin-producing, that I guess I won't feel the pain for a while.

But wow, congrats to the Gravity Group. I would argue that that's certainly the best wooden coaster in Texas, and I hope to see it make a lot of people's Top Ten lists this year!

peace

It all depends on what is someones tastes. I love the coaster but I wouldnt say it is all of that. I am just glad we have something in Houston that we can call good. Astroworld was so small and the rides were dated that we didnt have any updated rides at all. The Texas Cyclone was built in the 70's. So it might be a favorite for a lot of people here because it was their first but it wouldnt even be in the top 50 if it were still around. All of the rides were like that there, but the BB is truly a contender for a top 20 rollercoaster and a top 10 woodie.

Very accurate review. I was actually surprised by how smooth that first turn in the drop was. I had been anticipating it being quite rough. I think you're right that it could eventually become that way. Also, the ending WAS quite disappointing. I found it interesting that there were all those slow curves at the end. I also found that initial high turn to kill the pacing of the ride. It never regains that same excitement after.

Umm interesting. 2 days before I rode it, I read all of the reviews saying it loses momentum half way through had me thinking it came to a crawl later on but to my surprise it didnt TOO ME. Yes it does slow down but it is supposed to near the end. I doesnt slow down that much. It is still very enjoyable though.

Very accurate review. I was actually surprised by how smooth that first turn in the drop was. I had been anticipating it being quite rough. I think you're right that it could eventually become that way. Also, the ending WAS quite disappointing. I found it interesting that there were all those slow curves at the end. I also found that initial high turn to kill the pacing of the ride. It never regains that same excitement after.

Just curious...when did you ride...and how many people were on the train?

A full train makes those final turns much faster than a partially full train. There is probably a good 5-10mph difference. During two train operation you can tell how fast the ride is running by how hard it hits the fin brake after the magnetic brakes. If it doesn't hit it at all...then you had a pretty slow ride. If it slams into it and the back wheels of the front car jump off the track...you had probably a pretty good ride. The 3rd hill (tallest turn) is also noticeably faster with a full train.

At least with a full train, the speed of the ride has noticeably increased since the first couple days of operation. The rides I had on Monday were approaching the speed of the rain rides on Friday...even though everything was dry.

I think Jason has a good point. Yes it does slow down some (like all coasters), but not a WHOLE WHOLE lot. Atlease when I rode it, it was still hauling butt until the last few seconds before hitting the brakes. I didn't notice a big change in speed till then. Your comment actually took me by surprise. Maybe it had to do with whether the train was full or partially empty. That or you have a better sense of speed than me

I noticed several times when I got to stay in the seat for a repeat ride that even though I was on the same train in the same seat for back-to-back rides, each of those rides was different.

This ride seems to be a LOT more susceptible than most, to factors such as the number of people on the train and the condition of the track (esp oil and/or water on the rails).

I rode some circuits that were truly disappointing. Hell, my very first ride was met with "meh" at the end. I also rode some circuits that kicked my butt with intensity. If EVERY one of my rides had been like my 49th (in the back seat during the rain storm), it might give Voyage a run for my #1 spot. It most likely still wouldn't beat Voyage, but it would be a solid #2. As it is, when I average those really good rides with the sluggish ones, it comes in around #4.

They are aware it is sometimes running much slower than it should and are still trying different things out with the track oilings, wheel greasings, etc. If we are lucky they will have it running near 'rain ride' speed on regular days once they get everything worked out and learn how to treat the new ride. I can't stand it when you can count the anti roll backs on the hills especially after knowing what this coaster is capable of.

Sunday was the slowest day by far. They said it was only going about 43 mph down the hill. I think it was going close to its goal speed of 51 most of the day Monday but it did slow down considerably the last few hours. I've experienced a bit of ejector only 3 times on the last hill going into the station. I can't wait to experience that again.

-GG

I'm sure this is a fun coaster, but I've never been on a coaster with a twisted layout using PTC's that's anything close to smooth like a GCI with the Flyers. The trains always seem to bang their way through the turns and lose speed. There's a rumored new PTC train in the works, maybe this would be a good coaster to use them on.

I was told that maintenance is supposed to walk the entire track and do a visual inspection. Is that true? Is that also the time when the grease it?
They walk it every day. They don't grease everyday. They greased when they opened it. You can't really see the grease on the track(i couldn't tuesday) It might be time.

I was told that maintenance is supposed to walk the entire track and do a visual inspection. Is that true? Is that also the time when the grease it?
They walk it every day. They don't grease everyday. They greased when they opened it. You can't really see the grease on the track(i couldn't tuesday) It might be time.

Yeah, on Tuesday we were riding on orange rust in some parts.

I'm sure this is a fun coaster, but I've never been on a coaster with a twisted layout using PTC's that's anything close to smooth like a GCI with the Flyers. The trains always seem to bang their way through the turns and lose speed. There's a rumored new PTC train in the works, maybe this would be a good coaster to use them on.

I was told today that the bullet uses wheels that have never been used on a PTC train of this type. Apparently they are smaller than the normal wheels. I'm not sure why, or what effect it has on the ride overall, but it was an interesting tidbit of information at least.

The coaster is running a little slow today, I rode in 12R and received a pretty tame ride actually. There were only 2 other rides in the front seat - the train almost came to a complete stop on the magnets. The maintenance guys were working on the other trains lapbars and wheels. Looked like there might be a cloudburst or small storm in the area, perhaps it will get wet for later!

-GG