TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blu Ray v HD DVD Picture Quality

verticalzero

Seems that the format war will be officially coming to an end sometime tomorrow. Several websites and news services (yeah I didn't post a source, go to google, type in Toshiba) are saying that tomorrow afternoon Toshiba is officially announce the end of the format war and drop their HD-DVD format.

I'm glad about this because I've been a supporter of Blu-Ray for a while, I'm just hoping that media prices begin to drop in the next few months.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Hd-DVD is officially dead

i did buy the A3 hd-dvd player for about $120, but considering its regarded as one of the best upconverting DVD players on the market, I'll just keep my DVD's and get a small library of Hd-DVD to enjoy as they will all be clearanced out

When the Blu-Ray players come down to a reasonalble price, and they finally settle on a concrete standard, then I'll get a blu-ray player

i did buy the A3 hd-dvd player for about $120, but considering its regarded as one of the best upconverting DVD players on the market, I'll just keep my DVD's and get a small library of Hd-DVD to enjoy as they will all be clearanced out

Just look at it from that angle, the A3 is a very good upconverting unit. I needed a new DVD player back around November and was really tempted to pick up the A3 just to act as an upconverting unit. Sales worked out however so I ended up getting the Blu-Ray player instead. Now the question is how long until Blu-Ray begins to compete against DVD.

• 2 weeks later...

Just look at it from that angle, the A3 is a very good upconverting unit. I needed a new DVD player back around November and was really tempted to pick up the A3 just to act as an upconverting unit. Sales worked out however so I ended up getting the Blu-Ray player instead. Now the question is how long until Blu-Ray begins to compete against DVD.

I think the real question is this

Is the diffrence between Blu-Ray, and regular DVD enough to make people switch?

I use my A3 to watch regular DVD, and some of the newer movies look pretty amazing upconverted

I have the Indiana Jones Trilogy, the Digitally remastered one, and it looks really good

The jump from tapes to CD was huge, no other media format has been able to challenge the CD. we are now switching to download music, which is actually a downgrade in quality

The jump from VHS to DVD is huge, and the jump from DVD to Blu-ray is not quite as big, It will be intresting to see how it plays out

I'm not totally sold on digital downloads for movies, because even though I get some music from I tunes, I can still burn it to CD and listen to it anywhere, Digital downloads only play on the device you downloaded them to (apple TV, Xbox 360), thats very restrictive

I'm not totally sold on digital downloads for movies, because even though I get some music from I tunes, I can still burn it to CD and listen to it anywhere, Digital downloads only play on the device you downloaded them to (apple TV, Xbox 360), thats very restrictive

Whether you're sold or not, disc media is on the way out. And good riddance too. No more getting home with a movie only to find out that the moron who had it before you rendered it unplayable with scratches.

^How is disc media on the way out? I realise downloads of both music and film/tv are becoming ever more popular, but I don't think by any means discs are being phased out. I'd say it will be several years before you see any kind of decrease in DVD discs. CD maybe not so long.

^How is disc media on the way out? I realise downloads of both music and film/tv are becoming ever more popular, but I don't think by any means discs are being phased out. I'd say it will be several years before you see any kind of decrease in DVD discs. CD maybe not so long.

A physical way to store movies or music is not going anywhere, The reason CD sales have slipped, is that its easier and cheaper to download a album of music from Itunes, or whatever service, then tranfer the songs to your MP3 player and burn a CD for your car, you still can end up with a CD of the album.

Movies don't seen to be taking the same route, they are more like rentals so far, so Blockbuster and Netflix should be worried, but not anyone who produces DVD's, it may actually increase sells of movies, if its easier to watch a movie for cheap, and someone decides they like the movie so much they want to own it, they will buy it, on disk format