TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

I saw 1776, Mamma Mia, and Hairspray. All are awesome.

Great to hear that, as we just bought our tickets to Mamma Mia last week! We're pretty excited to see it on stage, as we both really liked the movie.

And as it turned out, we're going to see it on my birthday!

Our community theatre just added Thoroughly Modern Millie as our summer musical this year. We were supposed to do South Pacific, but there's a professional tour coming to our area around the same time, so we couldn't get the rights. But I'm way more excited about Millie than I ever was about South Pacific!

Let's just say there hasn't been a thing I've hated in what I've seen so far, and yes, I do keep track of all I've seen. And after I see H2$ Easter weekend, I'm really trying to get to see all the shows that are coming to Baltimore and Philly over the 2011/2012 season.

Theatre (Musicals and Plays I've seen)

Professional Tours:

-Rent (2x)

-Crazy For You

-Jekyll & Hyde

-Stomp (2x)

-Avenue Q

-Lord of the Dance

-Jesus Christ Superstar

-Chicago

-The Phantom of the Opera

-Les Miserables

Community/Regional Theater:

-A Christmas Story (Bloomsburg Theater Ensemble)

-Cobb (Bloomsburg Theater Ensemble)

-Defying Gravity (Bloomsburg Theater Ensemble)

-Death of a Salesman (Bloomsburg Theater Ensemble)

-Born Yesterday

School Productions:

-Floyd Collins

-Vagina Monologues (x3 proceeds helped the women's center at my college)

-Anything Goes (was in the pit orch. for this)

-How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying

-A Midsummer's Night Dream

Movie Musicals/Stage to Screen:

-Chicago

-De-Lovely (does that count?)

-Glengary Glenn Ross

-Dirty Dancing

-Grease

-Moulin Rouge

-The Lion King

-Beauty and the Beast

-I'll just put a general saying of most disney animated movies I've seen.

*sure there are more but I can't think of them.

Broadway:

-A Boy From Oz

-Avenue Q

-The Full Monty

-The Lion King

-A Steady Rain

-How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (April 23rd)

West End:

-The Lion King

-Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story

-Sweet Charity

Pantomime

-Robin Hood the Pantomime Adventure (New Theatre, Cardiff)

-Aladdin in 3D (SECC, Glasgow)

Reduced Shakespeare Company

-Completely Hollywood (abridged) (June 26th)

Reduced Shakespeare Company

-Completely Hollywood (abridged) (June 26th)

My husband directed The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) last year, and he'll be directing The Complete History of America (Abridged) next year, with our community theatre. They are flippin' hilarious!!

I've seen very few musicals...

-Hairspray

-West Side Story

-Grease

-Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

But I'm going up to Stratford, ON to see Jesus Christ Superstar and I'm trying to get my folks to bring me to see Avenue Q.

Thanks for the inspiration Nicole, going to try a list of my own - here goes!

West End:

Avenue Q x7

Billy Elliot x9

Brief Encounter

Evita x4

Hairspray x5

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Legally Blonde x2

The Lion King x2

Lord of the Rings x4 (Whoo, my first word filter substitution!)

Oliver! x6

Priscilla: Queen of the Desert

Sister Act

The Sound of Music

Spamalot x2

We Will Rock You x2

Wicked x19 (Yeah, you read right! Kind of regret it now, but I was 16...and 17...and 18...)

Broadway:

Legally Blonde

Rent

Wicked x2 (However, don't regret these AT ALL, Julia Murney was amazing)

Chicago:

Wicked

UK National Tour:

Beauty and the Beast x3

Cats x5

Little Shop of Horrors

Mary Poppins x4

The Sound of Music

Tell Me on a Sunday

The Wedding Singer

We Will Rock You x2

UK Amateur:

Oliver!

Rent

West Side Story

....yup.

My review of the 25th Anniversary touring production of Les Miserables. If never seen, there be spoilers here.......

Saw this last night at the Ohio Theater, which is a beautiful place to see a show. I spent a little extra on the tickets to get in the Loge as the seats are more comfy and best seats in the house.

There are some changes made most notably the absence of the "turntable". I always thought this made the show flow very well. You can hear some scenery getting moved around in a few places, I remember this most when Fantine dies.

After thinking about this I think the stage and scenery is actually better than the original in some ways. There are beautiful backdrops that are paintings by Victor Hugo which they do really cool things with to simulate movement such as through the sewers. The barricades are not "driven" onto the stage which was always an impressive moment in the show.

The talent was top notch. Was very impressed, one of the strongest voices in the cast was Enjorlas. (sp). Highlights were On My Own (the person singing Eponine was AWESOME, I even told her on the way out that Lea Salonga had nothing on her) and Bring Him Home. Javert was very good as well and Stars was great.

Goosebumps and the desire to stand up and sing along with One Day More and the Finale.

Overall, a SPECTACULAR edition of Les Mis. If this comes near you, go see it.

I am actually getting ready to go see this again today with my daughter.

Just found this, coming out on April 5 at Amazon.com...

Question: Does anybody out there know more about this soon-to-be-released recording, specifically as to whether it's a LIVE London OR New York recording? Info.at Amazon listing doesn't say. And doesn't list artists, either. Hmmm...

MaryPoppins01.jpg.b302277dd0d034477a2f60b14c019e46.jpg

Great, if it's a Broadway Cast Recording, as one was never made before, right? (o:

Overall, a SPECTACULAR edition of Les Mis. If this comes near you, go see it.

Agreed. Les Mis is my absolute favorite, and I was extremely impressed with the new production.

I've been away from NY for a while and have been homesick for some theatre, but I got to see the national tour of Wicked last weekend. It's been a few years since I've seen that show, and it's still so much fun. Really glad I got to see it again!

I auditioned for the Musical Theatre major at the University of Northern Colorado, but didn't get in They included some personal things that they liked about my audition and wanted me to come into their theatre arts program, but it wasn't for me.

So instead, I'm moving to Chicago to go to Columbia College to study musical theatre. I'm so excited! Chicago is such a theatre-loving city. I'm happy.

Oh, and on another note... Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark got a new script! It'll be interesting to hear about the "new" Spiderman.

• 2 weeks later...

^ The animation story board looks great.

Awesome in fact, as it's timed with the Brdwy recording.

But I think I'd still rather see this as a live-action film.

The special effects would be pretty amazing, lol.

Hopefully, the actors cast would be amazing, too!

Note to add, Amazon is releasing Wonderland and Women On The Verge of A Nervous Breakdown a week apart, respectfully. Goody.

And I also found out, that the LIVE recording of Mary Poppins is that of the Australian company. Not that it's bad or anything like that. Apparently the show there was/is one of the best productions done, to date. But still, you'd think they could have put which company it was performing, on the front of the cd cover, hmm? Ah well, show 'biz', lol.

Wonderland_cd.jpg.6bc76de007696196b5aae96e9c68e9fd.jpg

Available May 3 - and check out a great (IMhO) vid and song currently available at show's site. "Through The Looking Glass"... Awesome.

WomenOnTheVerge_cd.jpg.18630db40774b055a863b155c95d8d0a.jpg

Available May 10. Wish it had run longer. Hope it gets remembered when the TONY noms come out May 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Shrek the musical at the Fox theatre, which seems to have sound issues for the past 3 shows i've seen there and the issue was still prevalent for this show. I've been following the show since its try-outs in Seattle and i've been stoked to see it on stage. To tell the truth I didn't think I would like this production of the show because Shrek kind of let me down in the beginning but he redeemed himself later. I really loved how the dragon has grown to a full size puppet with a singer off stage. Also the parodies were great. Most of the kids, those that sat around us at least, were entranced with the show. I highly recommend the show.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently saw "Meet me in St. Louis" at a local theatre near me. I loved the show. It had a nice story and the musical numbers were very catchy and interesting. The cast was excellent and really went all out to provide a good show for everyone.

Right now I'm really liking RENT, Spring Awakening, Sweeny Todd and American Idiot. They're all great and I love the music. I'm going to New York this summer and I'll probably be seeing Phantom of the Opera, How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying and possibly a couple others. Wicked's also a possibility.