TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

I saw Cats at the Pantages in LA on Friday night. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. About 20 minutes in I shhepishly looked at my friend and asked her if she knew what the heck was going on. She had no idea and neither did I. Myself and the 3 people I was with sat through the entire first act totally confused. At one point I was making up stories in my head and at another point I was wishing the cats would die or something. The 2nd Act was a little better. When the person, I mean cat, sang "Memories" it brought down the house and was awesome. The ending was so stupid though. I can not figure out how this is so popular???

HAHAHAHA my friend went to it last night and said that she and her dad walked out of it at intermission!

I saw Cats at the Pantages in LA on Friday night. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. About 20 minutes in I shhepishly looked at my friend and asked her if she knew what the heck was going on. She had no idea and neither did I. Myself and the 3 people I was with sat through the entire first act totally confused. At one point I was making up stories in my head and at another point I was wishing the cats would die or something. The 2nd Act was a little better. When the person, I mean cat, sang "Memories" it brought down the house and was awesome. The ending was so stupid though. I can not figure out how this is so popular???

I can't quite figure out how Cats ran for years and years either. There are a couple of nice songs, but it's a pretty pointless show overall.

I saw the new Broadway musical American Idiot this week and loved it! I'm a big Green Day fan to begin with, so seeing their songs incorporated into a musical was just great. There plot isn't anything amazing, but the music and the energy from the cast totally makes up for that. Plus Green Day was in the audience, so that was super cool as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry double post...

Daniel Radcliffe will make his Broadway musical debut as J. Pierrepont Finch in a new production of the Tony and Pulitzer Prize-winning HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING, directed and choreographed by Tony and Emmy Award winner Rob Ashford bowing on Broadway in spring 2011.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Daniel_Radcliffe_to_Return_to_Broadway_in_HOW_TO_SUCCEED_Spring_2011_20100415

370howtorad.jpg.9dee05a7a5155410bf739f2dd5ee0e02.jpg

Daniel Radcliffe ( Harry Potter ) opens Spring 2011

^^

Envious, if you do get the chance to see it.

I haven't had the chance to see it onstage, even once yet.

(Hoping a good touring production comes through town, eventually.)

^

Interesting. "Harry Potter Does Wall Street", heh.

My immediate comparison is the 1995 Matthew Broderick revival, with Megan Mulally (pre"Will & Grace") as the sweetheart. Will be neat to see how they re-envision it and 'style' it.

Hope he's got the pipes for "I Believe in You."

And I wish him as good a success as he had with EQUUS.

Lots of "broken legs" to Daniel, lol!

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't really posted much on here, surprisingly. I'm a HUGE musical fan.

This summer, I'm an apprentice for Music Theatre of Wichita. I'll be working 9-12 hours a day, 7 days a week, all summer. Basically, I help out with painting, props, scenery, costumes, stage management, etc., then when it's showtime, I'm part of the stage crew. It's not a paid position, but it's great experience and colleges will be impressed 5 shows total! I'll only be able to work on 4 of them though because I'm going to be IN a show with another company (and that's put together in a WEEK!)

Busy summer.

In other news...

What do you guys think of the Tony nominations??

In other news... What do you guys think of the Tony nominations??

- Was surprised "The Addams Family" didn't get more noms.

- Two plays ("Enron" and "Fences") getting Original Score noms was certainly...different.

- Poor "Ragtime."

First, Santo Loquasto got his nom dropped for Costume Design/Musical, because "the designs weren't different enough from his designs for the orig.1998 Brdwy production." And then the orchestration nomination was cancelled, too. Same reasoning.

That is all.

^I know of around 20 people in my school (and others in Wichita) who saw Addams Family over spring break. It was in previews, but for many, it was their favorite show. However, reviews for it definitely aren't great.

Poor Enron, it barely lasted

Ragtime got quite a few nominations, but they withdrew one or two (costumes and something else) because they were used in the original production.

So my school just finished up our production of Anything Goes a few weeks ago. It was an amazing show, lots of energy, and I think the casting was perfect for characters like Evelyn, Reno and Erma.

This video is of the song Blow Gabriel Blow, my personal favorite part of the entire play. The video really shows the scale of the whole thing, and proves that Haley, the singer, really has pipes.

Oh, and if anybody cares, that's my sister in the top left, in the blue-green dress!

Looks like it was a good production.

Have to admit (and it timed perfectly with a Rachel line in GLEE last night, lol), I DID see Patti LuPone in "Anything Goes" at Lincoln Center in what - 1988? playing Reno Sweeney. Great production of a Porter classic.

Your lead female there sounded pretty good in "BGB" too.

Glad it went well for everybody, including the audience.

• 4 weeks later...

TONYs were on last night.

Was everybody happy with their choices for who should win what?

I was happy with "Memphis" winning Best Musical.

And I'm hoping they'll put a CD out of this "La Cage", so we get a good 'hear' of Douglas Hodge (Albin - Best Actor/Musical) and Kelsey Grammer (Georges, nominated Best Actor) and all of them on it. And isn't this the second time "La Cage" has won for Best Musical Revival? Didn't the one with Gary Beach as Albin, win too? .... Just checked. Yes it did, won Best Revival in 2005 as well as Best Choreography. Huh.

Sean Hayes handled things pretty good, esp. with whatever they threw him into, lol.

And his piano playing! That was very cool to watch (and hear) him do, with the "Million Dollar Quartet" cast.

And Kristen Chenoweth too, lol. Very funny stuff there, between the two of them.

Sean Hayes handled things pretty good, esp. with whatever they threw him into, lol.

And his piano playing! That was very cool to watch (and hear) him do, with the "Million Dollar Quartet" cast.

And Kristen Chenoweth too, lol. Very funny stuff there, between the two of them.

My favorite line of the night:

"There is Bernadette Peters. Hi Bernadette Peters. She is the BP that isn't ruining the planet"

• 4 weeks later...

They're finally going to put out a CD on the new Sondheim 'retrospect-ical' lol. End of August. Has anybody seen this and if so, how was it? Just curious.

Now if they'd only get their stuff together and do a new CD on the (apparently) great revial of "La Cage aux Folles." Would enjoy Kelsey Grammer in the 'husband' role of Georges and of course, TONY-winner Douglas Hodge as Albin his 'wife' lol.

Grrrr. (But still hoping....)

SondheimOnSondheim2010.jpg.7f4f0d249c8fcae9c07a93aa024bc957.jpg

Amazon.com is releasing it August 31st. Woo hoo!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been listening to Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and I love it! Would love for our community theatre to do it one day.

And I just found Rock of Ages last week! A musical set to the songs of big hair bands is awesome!! I already know all the words.

• 3 weeks later...