TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

^Ha, looks better than my schools version!

We just finished Grease and it was amazing! I think it's great what a bunch of school kids and some simple props can achieve.

Also, not sure if anyone's heard of it but 'The Dummy Tree' is a particular favourite of mine.

After the years of obsession, what did you think? And who were your Elphie/Glinda?

Idina Menzel and Megan Hilty

I just saw Spring Awakening and i really think that it may be me new favorite show.

I can't really even describe it... just so... good.

Also, I'm doing a production of RENT early next year. Can't wait. =]

^^^ Your production looks great! Did it have a good run? Congrats for the production and hope you "Broke Some Legs" during it, heh heh.

Also, not sure if anyone's heard of it but 'The Dummy Tree' is a particular favourite of mine.

Where is this number from? I might know it, just doesn't "hit" me with it's title, lol.

^^^ Your production looks great! Did it have a good run? Congrats for the production and hope you "Broke Some Legs" during it, heh heh.

Where is this number from? I might know it, just doesn't "hit" me with it's title, lol.

It was part of the 'New Connections' program that The National Theatre in London ran. My school performed a play called 'Trammel' written by Michael Leslie. We got to perfrom on stage at the National and it was brilliant! But of course we had to do better than all the other companies that performed the same play as us. We also got to work with Róisín McBrinn, not sure if anyone's heard of her. But it just goes back to what I said earlier. You know, we're just a bunch of kids but look what we achieved.

• 3 weeks later...

Today was Shrek: The Musical's last performance on Broadway

Luckily, I was in NYC last week and saw it on 12/28/09!!! This show was phenomenal. We waited over an HOUR in line in the below freezing cold weather at the TKTS booth to hopefully get discounted tickets. We finally got to the ticket window, and we got the last 3 of 4 tickets. We didn't get to sit together, but were in the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th row. OMG!!! Freaking amazing seats!!! We were so close to the stage it was just like we were next to the performers.

The set was incredible. It alone would have been a great show. Chris Sieber is an amazing Farquaad. This show had non-stop laughs, the acting was incredible, and I was in awe the whole time.

It will be in Chicago this summer if anyone wants to see it. I totally recommend it!

Just bought online the new Broadway cast CD of MEMPHIS. Woo hoo! Got it thru http://www.broadwaystore.com - and it looks like the new revival cast CD of A Little Night Music will be out in the spring. Can't wait for that one, too!

And as well, the revival cast CD of Finian's Rainbow will be released on Amazon.com February 2. Too bad it too (like Shrek), will be closing soon (January 17) due to recent economic problems.

ALittleNightMusic.jpg.2bbddc73596ad3c04085a5541c9cec30.jpg

With Catherine Zeta-Jones and Angela Lansbury, this CD can't be released soon enough, as far as I'm concerned. (o:

Memphis.jpg.0576668ad70f12728d16c78df7c2421f.jpg

On it's way soon to me.

1880865625_FiniansRainbow.jpg.cf872338d6e24959b49c73c0fdd98778.jpg

Being released at Amazon.com on Feb.02 - and closing sadly, before the CD is released.

I just saw Ragtime again for the last time, which is closing on Sunday. It really saddens me that this show couldn't run longer. It seems that in order to have a successful run on Broadway these days, you need to have a celebrity in the show or a jukebox musical, so the audience is familiar with the music.

There will be 2 new musicals featuring the music of Frank Sinatra and Green Day coming up soon. I'm actually looking forward to both. Twyla Tharp is the choreographer for the Frank Sinatra one, and I thought what she did with Movin' Out was great. And Green Day is one of my favorite bands - American Idiot is an awesome album and I can see it working well on stage.

^ Well for for now, Memphis defied those two 'success options' and I am sooooo looking forward to hearing the CD and enjoy what it's all about. All original score too, not thematic with already-written numbers inserted into it, which is great!

But yeah, Ragtime was the other show I was sad to hear was closing, way too soon. Wonder if they'll get a cast recording, even so?

Not much interested in the Sinatra-connected show, but then again you never know, right? And American Idiot I've been hearing about since they starting putting it together...back in the spring, last year?

Who says they don't have any new ideas for musical theatre any more?

^I saw Memphis a few months ago, and I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't get into it. It wasn't anything special. The music and story just didn't grab me like other shows have. I do appreciate having an original musical on Broadway like that, though.

There was actually a talk back with some of the cast and creative team of Ragtime, and unfortunately, they don't have the money to make a new cast recording.

Speaking of the Green Day American Idiot musical, Green Day re-rerecorded 21 Guns with the cast (apparently there are two versions, one with Billy Joe Armstrong singing a verse and another with John Gallagher Jr. who originated the role of Moritz Stiefel in Spring Awakening) which the former of you can hear here. I've been listening to it a lot since it came out last month, great stuff.

I saw 'War Horse' last July. I'm not sure it was a Musical though. Can't quite remember. It was fantastic though. I think it's still running so if it is check it out.

I also saw 'Blood Brothers' last June. That was great too. "The Devil's Got Your Number" was the main hit from it. Youtube it. I dare say it's on there.

My absolute favorite would be Rent

I have seen it live 4 times (once on Broadway), have the DVD of the movie, CD's of the show & movie and the Blu-Ray of the final show.

2. Jesus Christ Superstar

3. Les Mis

And the others:

Godspell

Chicago

Cabaret

Little Shop of Horrors

Shows I have not seen but love the music:

Shrek

Spamalot

Avenue Q

Wicked

Sweeney Todd

And the others:

Cabaret

Avenue Q

Sweeney Todd

Agreed on these 3, I saw my school's production of Cabaret (we have really good actors at my school) and it was awesome! Can't hate the strippers either

Avenue Q is extremely hilarious, and Sweeny Todd is great.

Shrek

Spamalot

Avenue Q

Wicked

Sweeney Todd

On Friday, I met the man who cast Brian D'Arcy James as the original Shrek. So cool!

I saw Avenue Q back in December and that it was amazing. I saw Shrek a few weeks ago and loved it even more. I'm so sad it closed. People judged it before they saw it, but I have yet to hear "It sucked". I'm constantly hearing that it's so amazing. I'm so glad I got to see it. I now know why it was nominated for Best Musical at the Tony's.

I saw Shrek a few weeks ago and loved it even more. I'm so sad it closed. People judged it before they saw it, but I have yet to hear "It sucked". I'm constantly hearing that it's so amazing. I'm so glad I got to see it. I now know why it was nominated for Best Musical at the Tony's.

I can't wait for it to go on tour now.

• 1 month later...

Just found out, at Amazon.com - to be released April 6, 2010...

(I had the luck to see it's first International Tour, in Toronto in April 1974, with Jean Simmons as Desiree', prior to her doing it in London's West End. Lovely adult show I remember, especially with the set design by the late great Boris Aronson, who designed Company and Follies and Pacific Overtures' orginal sets.)

ALittleNightMusicRevival2010.jpg.f9b4d48f6d79836281ccaedbeea8a5ab.jpg

Hope it sounds as good as it was, back in what?.... 1973???

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted this on here yet. Lol. I'm actually pursuing a career in music theater.

I've been on stage since fourth grade. This year, junior year, is when I've been extremely focused on theater and theater only. I'm currently working on my 5th show this year. I wanted to audition for Music Theatre of Wichita, but the day I learned about auditions WAS the day of auditions. Crap.

I've looked into many schools.

Considering cost and what not, I'm focused on University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music. My second choice is University of Michigan. My DREAM is Carnegie Mellon, but even if I was accepted, it's still $55,000 a year. Hell no.

I've learned the ins and outs of the business. I got to talk to Brooke Tansley, who was in the original broadway production of Hairspray, then played Belle in Beauty and the Beast. She told me a lot about an actors personal life, which I appreciate because nowhere online can you find that information. I already knew before I talked to her that the pay is NOT good, contrary to what most people believe. I've accepted that. No one gets into theater for the money. I am no exception.

This summer, I'm planning on doing two camps. One week-long camp at a College (which is the same one where I did Community Children's Theatre, my first four shows EVER!), then one with professionals at Music Theater for Young People. The cost is $300. Not bad compared to the $3,000 ones I've seen! Lol. Here's where I'm in a pickle:

-I'm so involved with theatre that I haven't time for a job. with my last show, I'd leave the house at 6:30 a.m. for school, and not get home until 11-12 at NIGHT. That was tough. One of my teachers even LET me sleep in her class, as long as I got my work done.

-The camps, she says she'll pay for half. That's very kind of her. But how can I pay for it if I don't have time for a job? UGH. I've applied and applied and applied. I've made sure and handed my application to the manager in person, call back in a few days, etc. No one. Not even places with a "Now Hiring!" sign.

-Colleges will DEFINITELY want to see outside of school productions. These camps would help me beyond belief. I have to audition for this major (Music Theatre), and experience COULD be my saving grace, if I suck.

-I'm not doing this because "it's fun". Is it fun? Yes. Is it what I want to do with my life? Yes. Am I doing this because it's fun? No. With theatre, I sacrifice a LOT. I sacrifice having money to do fun things, I sacrifice hanging out with friends, I sacrifice family time, etc. I do this because I'm passionate about it. She sees it just as a fun thing. To me, it's not that. It is my job.

-I would LOVE to have a job. LOVE LOVE LOVE. But I'm not sacrificing theater. I know many people who had to give theater up because of a job. The people that I know that are as passionate about theater, they don't have jobs either, but it's not because they're lazy. It's because theater comes first.

-It's not that I don't want a job. I really do! I've had jobs in the past and I enjoy them a lot. But I'm extremely passionate about theater, and I'm not giving it up.

What am I supposed to do to raise money when I have NO income? I guess I could mow lawns, but right now, grass isn't growing yet.

*Sigh*

^Bake sale! Car wash. Sell your possessions on E-bay? Have you tried asking your parents for a loan? Maybe a grandmother or an aunt or a combination of everything above? Try selling candy, kids love candy, or look around online for other fundraising ideas.

Good luck though.

I saw Cats at the Pantages in LA on Friday night. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. About 20 minutes in I shhepishly looked at my friend and asked her if she knew what the heck was going on. She had no idea and neither did I. Myself and the 3 people I was with sat through the entire first act totally confused. At one point I was making up stories in my head and at another point I was wishing the cats would die or something. The 2nd Act was a little better. When the person, I mean cat, sang "Memories" it brought down the house and was awesome. The ending was so stupid though. I can not figure out how this is so popular???

Before this turns into an 'I hate Cats' thing, like it probably will, I'm going to say that it's pretty much my favourite show, for the music and the dance. Reading the plot/approximation of plot online probably helps newcomers, though - and having a good sense of suspension of disbelief.

In terms of popularity, I got the sense that, actually, most people hate it, and it's only the 'out-of-towners' (and weird people like me) who enjoy it. I also think it's a bit too English, which doesn't explain the HUGE Broadway and US national touring success (in fact, it was the show which saved American musical theatre touring, if I understand correctly).

Apart from doing a TPR Trip in August, I get to do my first love Broadway Musicals. At this stage seeing The Addams Family, La Cage, and with a small amount of luck Spiderman Turn off the Dark ( well that's if it ever opens ). Our Town ( if still playing ) and hopefully ( if the rumours are correct ) A Little Night Music that looks set to close the 3rd week of August with Ms Lansbury and Ms Zeta Jones returning for the final four weeks.

As for Cats, there never was much of a story when it open in 1981, but what it was, was a lot of color and movement. Which I am still not sure if that is a good thing!!!