TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

I am at a loss that the opening ten minutes of the Lion King is breathtalking, but what follows is awful, long, boring and nothing that matches the wonder of the opening.

The movie of The Lion King is one of my favorite movies ever, but there's something about the musical that I just don't like. I don't hate it, and it's very creative with a few beautiful moments. But yeah, I would have given the Tony to Ragtime.

I just saw Billy Elliot the musical and was extremely impressed with it. I can't see this not winning the Tony. And wow, the boy that played Billy - such an amazingly talented kid, and there are 3 different boys alternating the role.

As far as live musicals or shows go, I haven't seen any. As far as film musicals go... I've only seen a small amount, but some of the ones I really like are Wizard of Oz, Rocky Horror Picture, and Most recently Across the Universe which I thought was amazing... Little Shop of Horrors is also entertaining with some fun songs too.

-Justin

I am at a loss that the opening ten minutes of the Lion King is breathtalking, but what follows is awful, long, boring and nothing that matches the wonder of the opening.

The movie of The Lion King is one of my favorite movies ever, but there's something about the musical that I just don't like. I don't hate it, and it's very creative with a few beautiful moments. But yeah, I would have given the Tony to Ragtime.

I can't say that I agree with you completely on The Lion King. I absolutely adore the first 10 minutes, completely stunning and I agree with rosscoe on that. However I do enjoy the rest of the play, its not perfect, nor is it the best play I've seen (one certain showing of Phantom comes to mind), but I do absolutely love it for what it is. My expectations weren't very high considering I had heard nothing about it, so that may change my opinion. I went into it looking at it as a live adaptation of the movie, and I think that is what it is, but I will agree it's not perfect. It does have some low points and doesn't have the same... charm that the original movie has, but both the very beginning and the very end give me goosebumps when I see it.

wow..I did musical theatre for 20 years, so my picks may be a little odd. Here goes:

Jerry Springer: the Opera

Rent

Sunday in the Park with George

Spitfire Grill

Ruthless: the 20th Anniversary Director's Cut

Children of Eden

There and Back Again (the one I wrote with my wife, which is "The Hobbit" set to Celtic folk, jazz, and funk; cross your fingers...)

Lay Mizz

West Side Story

oh, and Hidden Sky

• 2 weeks later...
^^Repo!, although fantastic IMO, IS NOT AN OPERA!!!! Just because Sarah Brightman (ewww) is in it and sings a song in Italian DOES NOT make it an opera!!! I love it, though.

And what makes it not an Opera? Cause it has different music then a "traditional" Opera? The fact is the movie contains many operatic conventions such as recitative (What is normally spoken diolouge in a musical is sung) a very dramatic story, and reoccuring musical themes that run throughout the movie. of course this is more like arguing if powered coasters count as credits or not...

I recently aquired a copy of Rent: Filmed live on Broadway and I'm falling in love with this opera again.

I just saw the movie version of Mamma Mia this weekend and I was kind of annoyed by it. Now granted, I know nothing about the stage version, so I have no idea how closely the movie follows it. But there were so many people in the movie that I wanted to hit with a baseball bat. I mean really annoying people. Did anyone else feel that way? And my husband says Meryl Streep makes his butt itch; he had to cover his eyes every time she sang because she annoyed him so much.

We're going this weekend to see a college do Thoroughly Modern Millie. I'm excited about that because I absolutely love the music. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I recently aquired a copy of Rent: Filmed live on Broadway and I'm falling in love with this opera again.

I forgot that came out on DVD this month! I tried to get tickets for the last show through their ticket lotto (I failed) and the camera crew was there to film stuff. I'm curious to see if I'm in it.

I just saw the movie version of Mamma Mia this weekend and I was kind of annoyed by it.

Pierce Brosnan's "singing" makes my ears bleed.

^Yeah, I really liked her too, though I just kept thinking "omg, it's the girl from Mean Girls, yay!"

I just got the soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar, and I'd forgot how much I like this show! I really hope it comes back at some point...

I find out that the casts make the shows. Rather have a great cast with great attitudes and lots of fun than a possibly more talented one with diva's. NO thanks!!

Sorry to drag up a post from a month ago, but this comment is SO true. It's what's made me enjoy shows that might have been pretty dire otherwise. I've seen (apart from noted ones, all in London, or on UK tours):

We Will Rock You

Wicked (London, Chicago, Broadway)

Evita (Recent revival)

Spamalot

Rent (Broadway, UK amateur)

Legally Blonde (Broadway)

Cats

Beauty and the Beast

Oliver! (UK amateur)

West Side Story (UK amateur)

Avenue Q

Hairspray

The Sound of Music

The Lord of the Rings

The Wedding Singer

Billy Elliot

The Lion King

Mary Poppins

New CD cover art, released for.....

To be relased on March 24th....

ShrekTheMusical01.jpg.49ce51d30244bf769edf61a092e99d65.jpg

Looks more 3-D to me in this one. (o: I'm really looking forward to getting this cast recording, from what I've heard about the show and everybody in it. And... Go! Sutton Foster! Go!

Hmmmmmm....

I think there are TWO which stand out above all- but one that outranks them all-

#3: Cabaret

#2: Chicago

and the one I saw last Friday

#1 Souvenir

For those who have NOT seen Souvenir, its a two-person musical about Florence Foster Jenkins, the single WORST opera singer in all of history, and her accompinaist who was there through every awful note. Very funny, very sad, and overall a great evening to be had by all, without question. (It -certainly- was for me, as it was my First anniversary of meeting somebody who's now a major part of my life, as he is the one who stole my heart!)

My absolute favorite EVER is Jesus Christ Superstar.

Some of my other favorites that I've seen live and/or been a part of:

Into the Woods

Fiddler on the Roof

Sound of Music

Damn Yankees

Something Funny Happened on the way to the Forum

Phantom of the Opera

Wicked

Little Shop of Horrors

Showboat

Grease

42nd Street

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Godspell

Oliver

Hair

Les Miserables

Oklahoma

Favorite Movie Musicals:

Grease

Sound of Music

Mary Poppins

Jesus Christ Superstar (the 1973 version, not the crappy 2000 version)

Phantom of the Opera (what, I actually liked it)

Rent

Musicals I haven't seen live but would LOVE to:

Rent

Mary Poppins

Avenue Q

The Lion King

Beauty and the Beast

Miss Saigon

We've also started taking the kids to shows. We took them to see Wicked when we were in Chicago in September, and we just went to Phantom about 2 weeks ago. I think next up is probably Fiddler on the Roof in August or perhaps Grease or Mamma Mia if we can get tickets for March or April. Although I think just the girls will go see Mamma Mia. I have no desire to see it.

I've seen a variety of musicals, both on Broadway, and through various high schools and community/ college theater programs.

Stage Shows I've Liked:

-Phantom of the Opera

-Wicked

-RENT (but the woman who played Mimi was far too sarcastic, and had a very deep, harsh-sounding voice)

-Avenue Q

-Beauty and the Beast

-The Lion King

-Spamalot

-Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (my college did a production of it last April, and it was quite honestly the best student show I have EVER seen. The cast, especially the people who played Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett, were fantastic.)

-Seussical the Musical

Shows That I Don't Like:

-Brigadoon (i've seen three different productions of this, and while some of the productions themselves were good, like at my high school, the show itself leaves something to be desired. The plot is unrealistic, and boring.)

-The Who's TOMMY

-Grease

Shows I've Been In:

-Annie

-Little Shop of Horrors

-Footloose

-Sound of Music