TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

I know I'm going to see Avenue Q this weekend. Is it any good?

Yes, it's hilarious! Definitely one of my favorites.

I'm curious if anybody in New York saw "White Christmas"

I saw it a few weeks ago. Thought it was a really cute, old fashioned type musical, which was kind of refreshing to see for a change. Too bad that it isn't playing longer, but I guess they only wanted to keep it around for the holiday season.

^ I saw "Q" in it's first week of previews in London, back in 2006 just before starting the TPR UK Tour.

I knew the score backwards and forwards and just loved it, even never having seen it, up to then.

But - I must say I literally peed my pants laughing so much at everything that I saw (and still heard) when I saw it. It was really funny and very adult. What several of my theatre buddies call "Sesame Street on crack."

I also saw "Mary Poppins" that week in the West End. And if I had to choose which one to send you to.... "Q" would be the one, lol.

I do hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

It was awesome just as you said! My boyfriend and I laughed our asses off. That was by far funnier than any comedy I've seen.

I'm going to see Wicked in May in SF! I'm so excited.

Finally just saw the movie version of Phantom and I was pleasantly suprised. In fact I was a little dissapointed that I saw it a few days too late to see it in the city. However, I've heard on sites like IMDB that the movie is nothing like the show, and that if you like the movie chances are you won't like the show.

Anyone here who can confirm or deny that?

Finally just saw the movie version of Phantom and I was pleasantly suprised. In fact I was a little dissapointed that I saw it a few days too late to see it in the city. However, I've heard on sites like IMDB that the movie is nothing like the show, and that if you like the movie chances are you won't like the show.

Anyone here who can confirm or deny that?

I like both the movie and stage versions of Phantom. Even though Gerard Butler is super hot, I can't stand him in the movie. Every actor I've seen in the stage production has been a million times better. I adore Patrick Wilson, though.

But yeah, even though there are a ton of differences in the movie and show, it's still possible to like both of them.

And I *love* the Vegas production! After seeing it on Broadway several times, it was great to see a fresh take on the show.

The Kodak Theatre is offering my company free tickets to go see Annie. Me, I'm not a fan of musicals, like, at ALL. My friend, well he is a musical director for a number of off broadway shows. HIS advice is, 'hell no, Annie sucks.' But then we thought it would be fun to go just to see the Kodak Theatre.

Does anybody have any opinions on this show? Is it worth my time?

Chris.

I love Annie, myself, but others in this thread say they hate it. I've done the show with a local theater group and thoroughly enjoyed it. If you're getting free tickets, why not go? At least if you don't like it you won't be out any money. And you never know, you may find yourself leaving the theater singing the songs. Just because your friend is a musical director doesn't mean he's the final authority on what's good or bad. Don't make a choice based on his opinion alone.

I like Annie too. The stage production has a lot more songs than the crappy movie with Carol Burnett, but there aren't as many orphans doing gymnastics everywhere. I think "Maybe" is a beautiful song...plus I always get cold chills when I hear children sing (if they sing well, that is).

Now this is my kind of topic!

Favorite shows I have seen in NYC:

Ragtime (should have won the Tony over The Lion King in 1998)

Falsettos (saw it twice and cried both times)

The Drowsy Chaperone (just funny all the way thru)

The Last Five Years (off Broadway, also saw it twice)

Barnum/A Day In Hollywood A Night in the Ukraine (These were the 1st two shows I ever saw in NYC back in high school. Didn't really care for Barnum but loved Day in Hollywood.... Maybe because I have 4th row seats)

Favorite shows I have done:

The Last Five Years in Orlando this past fall. Awesome cast

Great Expectations (World premiere in Roanoke, VA) Great cast again

Pippin (my 1st high school musical back in 1980. Still holds a special place in my heart)

When Pigs Fly (2008 Orlando Fringe Festival) Again, an awesome cast

I find out that the casts make the shows. Rather have a great cast with great attitudes and lots of fun than a possibly more talented one with diva's. NO thanks!!

1485046017_GTXFebMarch2006572(Medium).jpg.358469493d2dac54de8b099cd2cac733.jpg

Some of my awesome Great Expectations cast!

Oh god, reading back on my post from a year ago embarrasses me now that I actually know musicals, although Les Miz has remained my favorite.

I've seen on Broadway:

Mamma Mia!

Legally Blonde

The Little Mermaid

Xanadu

Spamalot

Spring Awakening

Phantom of the Opera (also saw it in Las Vegas)

I've been in the cast of:

Phantom of the Opera

The Sound of Music

Beauty and the Beast

Into the Woods

Thoroughly Modern Millie

The Wizard of Oz

Willy Wonka

Footloose

High School Musical

Bat Boy (FANTASTIC show and not widely known, you should check it out)

^ Aida is an absolutely beautiful show. I've seen a community theatre production of it, and even still i thoroughly enjoyed it.

But Cats? I've never heard one positive thing said about that show... But it had to be pretty good to last so long and gain such popularity i guess.

Has anyone seen Starlight Express? That show looks like it was completely awesome.

Who couldn't love a rollerblading musical about trains? =]

Phantom of the Opera (also saw it in Las Vegas)

I've been in the cast of:

Phantom of the Opera

The Sound of Music

Beauty and the Beast

Into the Woods

Thoroughly Modern Millie

The Wizard of Oz

Willy Wonka

Footloose

High School Musical

Bat Boy (FANTASTIC show and not widely known, you should check it out)

How was Phantom in Vegas? All the new technology looks pretty sweet but I'm a little afraid of it taking away from the show. Also, what role did you play in Phantom and Sound of Music?

Ragtime (should have won the Tony over The Lion King in 1998)

Thank goodness! Someone else who thought this! Totally agree...

Let's see, I've seen the following on Broadway -

Miss Saigon - both in Feb. 1994, and then the last Friday before it closed (w. Lea Salonga, Will Chase, Ruthie Henshall, etc. - just an amazing ensemble performance! Lea is one of the only performers I've seen who sang better IRL than on the cast recording!)

Phantom of the Opera - 1990 w. Rebecca Luker

Cats - 1990

The Rocky Horror Show Revival Cast - Jan. 2001 w. Joan Jett and Dick Cavett (that was a fun show! Made all the more fun by our neighbors who were half-drunk yuppies who had no idea what the show was about!)

The rest I've seen though national tour companies -

Les Miserables

City of Angels

Ragtime

RENT

Spamalot

Wicked

and some others I can't recall at the moment...

Oh, for any RENT fans in this thread, the DVD of the final Broadway performance is due to be released on Feb. 3...

My wife is a musical fanatic, and thanks to her I've gotten to finally see some musicals. I have to say, I'm a pretty big fan! The wide variety of stories is very much like movies. You can see something funny, happy, sad, or dark.

I've seen a handful of them, and by far my favorite to this point is Wicked. That show was phenomenal in every aspect!! We ended up seeing it twice when it toured through Pittsburgh in September - I loved it that much! Defying Gravity absolutely gave me chills!

Tied for second would be Lion King and Avenue Q. Lion King was amazing, and Avenue Q had to be the most hysterical thing I have ever seen!

We're seeing Jersey Boys in about a week, and then Rent in April. I would like to see several others - Spamalot, Phantom, Les Miserables, and Miss Saigon, just to name a few.

How was Phantom in Vegas? All the new technology looks pretty sweet but I'm a little afraid of it taking away from the show. Also, what role did you play in Phantom and Sound of Music?

Phantom in Vegas was SOOO much better than it is on Broadway. Knowing that show up one side and down the other, it was so refreshing to see all of the technology and special effects. I think the best part might be the chandelier coming together at the beginning. Instead of just being raised, there are different pieces of the chandelier that do a ballet with each other and come together right at the climax of the overture.

And I played Richard Firmin (one of the opera managers). Actually, our high school was the first high school ever to (legally) perform the show, so it was really special. (The rites to the show aren't readily available yet). And in The Sound of Music, I'm just a random nazi with a couple of lines. The only lead role in the show for a bass is the Captain, but that role went to a senior.

Priscilla: Queen of the Desert.

Without a doubt the best musical production to ever come out of Australia. Who knew 2 transvestites and a transexual travelling from Sydney through the outback to alice springs for a cabaret show could turn into an amazing movie let alone an inspiring musical...will be on broadway one day. And when it is, beware, you may not be the same orientation you were when you entered

^ It's opening in London in March.

And I hope there will be an original cast cd of it.

And, an opening on Broadway too, heh heh.

Chukkas!

PricillaLondon.jpg.474fa03d35651b9af710ee25316bd4c2.jpg

This is the show card for the London opening. Is this the same one used for Australia's version?

Priscilla opens in Toronto in 2009 as well.

Ragtime should have won the Tony over the Lion King!

I am at a loss that the opening ten minutes of the Lion King is breathtalking, but what follows is awful, long, boring and nothing that matches the wonder of the opening.