TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

I've just been listening to Oliver. I haven't seen the show, and really don't know much about it, but a coworker let me borrow the soundtrack and I really like the music.

The movie version is excellent--it actually won Best Picture over 2001: A Space Odyssey in 1968.

WICKED (The Australian Cast is AMAZING! Amanda is by far the best Elphaba so far!)

What did you say? Idina Menzel is the best. No one will ever be better than her. That being said, Wicked is the best show hands down, but In the Heights is great.

Idina Menzel = Love.

And I'm going to see Sunset Boulevard on Monday! Yipee! I'll report back .

I LOVE Sunset Blvd! It's probably my favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical. I actually like most of his stuff, even if it can be a bit cheesy at times. But I do agree about Cats. A couple of good songs in there, but I don't care for the show itself.

And I'm going to see Sunset Boulevard on Monday! Yipee! I'll report back .

I LOVE Sunset Blvd! It's probably my favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical. I actually like most of his stuff, even if it can be a bit cheesy at times. But I do agree about Cats. A couple of good songs in there, but I don't care for the show itself.

OMG, well, I went to see Sunset Boulevard last night... IT WAS AMAZING! The last 20 minutes or so are the most emotionally charged of any show I've ever seen (sorry Les Mis!), I was in tears for that whole part! It was amazing! The cast were amazing as well. Their versions of Sunset Boulevard and As If We'd Never Said Goodbye both got well deserved standing ovations because the cast's voices were amazing! I mean, I've heard the title song a thousand times done by a million people (IMO it's one of the best musical songs ever), and that was probably the best I've ever heard it. The only problem I had with the show is that it suffers from what a lot of Webber's shows do - they repeat one small piece of music over and over and over again. I mean seriously, how many times it that little flute bit at the start of the title song repeated throughout the show, lol?

The whole production was amazing as well. It was very minimilistic and every cast member played an instrument as well, so the orchestra were the cast, and it was all done on stage. It was just amazing to see people one second playing the flute, putting it down, singing a line, and then picking up a violin. They guy who played Joe played FOUR instruments throughout the thing! FOUR! And obviously, he acted the whole thing too... it must have been exhausting! But, spectacular, and that's true talent. I'm not sure what his name was, but I think we'll be hearing a lot from him in the future because he was... awesome (and totally GORGEOUS as well, hahaha...)

Agh, it was brilliant. I thought I disliked Webber (cause Cats and Joseph... well, they suck!), but, between that and Phantom he has gone up in my estimations. Now, which do I prefer out of those two... that's going to be the real question... Probably Sunset actually, the more I think about it.

So, yeah, if you find yourself in London in the next few weeks that would be a definte recommendation! I may go again, hehe...

"Whose fortunes are made

In the triangle trade . . ."

That song actually makes New England look pretty bad, too.

Yes, it does that too. It was a very controversial song for a sleepy little Alabama town. But they pulled it off well.

^ He should have abstained.......curtiously.

He played Dr. Lyman Hall from Georgia, so he didn't get to say that line. But that was one of my favorites, repeatedly.

The movie version is excellent--it actually won Best Picture over 2001: A Space Odyssey in 1968.

I'm going to have to try to find the movie now.

Who said Annie=yawn? Annie was the second show I was in, and the show in which I met my husband, so it's sentimental.

OMG, well, I went to see Sunset Boulevard last night... IT WAS AMAZING!

Thanks for your Sunset Blvd. review! I haven't seen that show in years but I still love it when a song from it pops up on my iPod. Though I do agree that the music can be repetitive at times.

That's interesting that it was done with the actors playing the instruments. I've seen that done before in Sweeney Todd and Company, and I didn't really care for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I Just found out, "Shrek: The Musical" Broadway Cast CD is going to be released on....March 3, 2009???

Oh well. Guess I can wait that long, lol.

Still - goody, goody!

ShrekTheMusical.jpg.68fc03595f42e22065bcfbb790017b71.jpg

It looks like it's a hit, this Broadway Season. Sutton Foster is back! Green is Back! And...Uuuugly!!! (o:

I Just found out, "Shrek: The Musical" Broadway Cast CD is going to be released on....March 3, 2009???

I really enjoyed Shrek and will definitely need to get that CD. The cast is just terrific, but Christopher Sieber absolutely steals the show as Lord Farquaad!

Are anyone in here fans of [title of show]?

I didn't *love* [title of show], but thought it was cute and had a lot of heart.

Shrek and will definitely need to get that CD. The cast is just terrific, but Christopher Sieber absolutely steals the show as Lord Farquaad!

Do I hear....

"TonyTonyTonyTony......."

I know I'm going to see Avenue Q this weekend. Is it any good? I've *tried* not to listen to any of the songs on youtube and I really have no idea what to to expect.

Somehow, I'm want to see Spring Awakening. I've heard great things about it. If I have to fly to NY alone, I will.

Other than that, I've seen Wicked, Rent, Phantom and Hairspray. I like them all.

^ I saw "Q" in it's first week of previews in London, back in 2006 just before starting the TPR UK Tour.

I knew the score backwards and forwards and just loved it, even never having seen it, up to then.

But - I must say I literally peed my pants laughing so much at everything that I saw (and still heard) when I saw it. It was really funny and very adult. What several of my theatre buddies call "Sesame Street on crack."

I also saw "Mary Poppins" that week in the West End. And if I had to choose which one to send you to.... "Q" would be the one, lol.

I do hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Somehow, I'm want to see Spring Awakening. I've heard great things about it. If I have to fly to NY alone, I will.

No need to fly to NY alone. I am willing to make the trip with you. Spring Awakening is Amazing, but I do hope you know that is is closing, so Hurry.

No need to fly to NY alone. I am willing to make the trip with you. Spring Awakening is Amazing, but I do hope you know that is is closing, so Hurry.

Crap! Too bad all my money is going towards the TPR West Coast Trip or I'd take you up on that offier. Oh well, maybe by some chance I can get the tour tickets for Tampa.

I'm curious if anybody in New York saw "White Christmas", currently playing there and soon to close in January, like a few others (Grease, Hairspray, 13, Young Frankenstein, Spamalot) that month?

It started in San Francisco I believe, a few years back - and this recording has the two actors in the Danny Kaye / Vera Ellen roles, still in it on Broadway! And Brian d'Arcy James, the current man-about-swamp title role in "Shrek" was in that orig. SF cast, playing the Bing Crosby role.

So he's on this recording, too!

So how was the show, if anyone's seen it? I have the CD on order, and it's "on it's way" right now to me. Couldn't resist, heh heh. 'Twas the season...

WhiteChristmas.jpg.11faf9631a5d8e41ffa07f0623b987b8.jpg

Closing soon in NYC. Happy Solstice everybody!

I know I'm going to see Avenue Q this weekend. Is it any good? I've *tried* not to listen to any of the songs on youtube and I really have no idea what to to expect.

Funniest. Show. Ever!

All I can say about it!

I can't wait to go see it again before it closes in London.

There's a Shrek musical?

Yep. Opened less than two weeks ago. If you go back a page, it shows the proposed CD cover for the show cast album, available in March.

And for more all about it:

http://www.broadway.com/Shrek-The-Musical/broadway_show/559922 (tix)

or

http://www.shrekthemusical.com/ (show's official site)

I hope it's as good as everybody who's been reviewing it, has said it is.

ShrekLogo.jpg.b3513444af9ccb154cc829c1458f7341.jpg

Bringing Ugly back to Broadway! (o: