TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

I knew nothing about Miss Saigon before I saw it, and the ending absolutely killed me.

The first time I saw it I had only heard a little of the music beforehand, but knew very little about the story (especially the ending) and I was blown away. Even the second time I saw it, knowing everything that was going to happen, I still was in tears. That just attests to the talent of the cast to be able to cause that reaction in people, even knowing what's coming.

A local college here is doing it in April. I'm anxious to see if a college group can pull off a show of that magnitude.

Wow, so is this a safe place to secretly discuss a secret interest in theatre and musicals? Nice! I guess as a band and piano geek a long time ago, as a change and break from the oft’ challenging classical pieces, my piano teacher gave me musical scores to play. The first was Phantom. I have to admit that the one thing I did that was as challenging as learning a classical piece was learning the piano section for South Pacific in high school for the pit band. I was sweating by the end of those three hours. We even had a string section for that sucker. Playing tenor sax for Grease was a lot of fun too.

The interest in actually seeing a musical professionally done was huge after that so the folks took my sister and I to our first, Phantom of the Opera. I remember being amazed at the sensory overload. Concerts are awesome, theatre is fantastic but a musical I found was just in-your-face for anyone who enjoys something a bit more mainstream than classical opera. Oh, since most were seen with the family, a great way to hang out with them in silence for 3 hours!

I think even if panned or not that exciting, musicals deserve some sort of respect so here are two categories: ‘Worth Seeing Again’ and ‘Not So Sure about These but Here’s a Scratch N’ Sniff Sticker for the Effort’. It’s cool hearing thoughts on the ones we’ve all seen.

Worth Seeing Again:

Professional:

Les Mis with Colm Wilkinson (Toronto, 3 times I think)

Phantom of the Opera with Colm Wilkinson (Toronto, about 4 times I think since it was here for 10 years and they even had a “Phantom Educational Program” for elementary students so it was part of the field trip circuit).

Jersey Boys (In Toronto, just amazing!)

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum with Whoopi Goldberg (In NYC)

Miss Saigon (In Toronto)

In the Heights (In NYC)

Beauty and the Beast (In Toronto and NYC)

Anything Goes (In London, although I was torn between this and Jerry Springer the Musical…)

High School or Community Theatre

South Pacific

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Pirates of Penzance

Leader of the Pack: The Ellie Grenwich Musical

Anything Goes

Hello Dolly

Grease (didn’t everyone do/ see this in high school?)

Pippin (very bizarre..)

Not So Sure about These but Here’s a Scratch N’ Sniff Sticker for the Effort:

Lord of the Rings, Worldwide Premiere (In Toronto, I’m still trying to figure out where those 3.5 hours and the $30 million CAD production cost went)

The Lion King (In Toronto)

We Will Rock You (In Toronto)

Mamma Mia (In Toronto)

I've never been to a musical, but I would like to see Spamalot, I hope it finds it's way to Sydney.

I'm sure there a few musicals I would like but I just haven't gotten around to it.

BTW I'm rather indifferent about the Wizard of Oz, wasn't there a remake with Michael Jackson called the The Wiz - that's seriously scary.

I knew nothing about Miss Saigon before I saw it, and the ending absolutely killed me.

The first time I saw it I had only heard a little of the music beforehand, but knew very little about the story (especially the ending) and I was blown away. Even the second time I saw it, knowing everything that was going to happen, I still was in tears. That just attests to the talent of the cast to be able to cause that reaction in people, even knowing what's coming.

I absolutely loved Miss Saigon and I hope I don't sound terrible for saying this but I thought the ending was *PERFECT*

I remember watching it the first time and really hoping that it would end the way it did. And when it happened, I wasn't shocked but more like "YESSSSSS!!!!"

That being said I went to go see it at least another half dozen times those years when I was living partially out of the UK and wasn't into coasters so I didn't really know that many people there, other than the ones I worked with, and sometimes you don't always want to hang out with the people you work with 24/7!

--Robb

ps. I heard Reflections from Mulan yesterday and it REALLY made me want to go see Les Miz again!!!

Robb, let's go to HHN next year and dress up for Rocky Horror. It shall be quite entertaining!

Absolutely! When I was 17 I was in a the Rocky troupe in my area.

Haha, at HHN last year, I think I was the only person doing the shout outs. I was in a production of Rocky about 5 years ago - Such a crazy show, and it's great how it's different each time, with the audience yelling at you!

Anything Goes (In London, although I was torn between this and Jerry Springer the Musical…)

Good choice. Jerry Springer was one of the worst things I've ever seen! And as awful as We Will Rock You is, I actually found it to be somewhat enjoyable, if only for Queen's amazing music.

I'm kind of on the fence about Wicked. I thought it was just ok when I first saw it, then it grew on me after a few times, but now I'm sick of it.

^^^I'm so glad to hear that other people really liked Miss Saigon. I thought the music was fantastic and it gave me goose bumps quite a few times. It was over-hyped here and they even built a new theatre specifically to house it for an open-ended run. People thought it would be more than it was and it closed within the first year of its run. Really sad. I do hope it plays again. It was in Buffalo a few years ago and I haven't heard of it being performed again.

^^haha ok I'm glad I didn't waste my money in Springer, those tickets were so expensive.

I absolutely loved Miss Saigon and I hope I don't sound terrible for saying this but I thought the ending was *PERFECT*

I remember watching it the first time and really hoping that it would end the way it did. And when it happened, I wasn't shocked but more like "YESSSSSS!!!!"

ps. I heard Reflections from Mulan yesterday and it REALLY made me want to go see Les Miz again!!!

I thought the ending was perfect for the story; I couldn't have imagined it any other way. But it was still sad! You could pretty much see it coming, but still sad.

Oh my, Mulan, my 3-yr-old is obsessed with Mulan. She was Mulan for Halloween. She would watch the movie every single day if I'd let her.

I've only seen a high school production of Les Miz; but I am completely in love with the music. I actually sang On My Own twice in high school for choir performances.

I've only seen a high school production of Les Miz; but I am completely in love with the music. I actually sang On My Own twice in high school for choir performances.

Awesome!

Still my favorite song and one of my favorite moments of any show! I was fortunate enough to be in London for work while Lea Salonga was playing Eponine right after the 10th Anniversary special. I went twice it was so awesome!

--Robb

I was fortunate enough to be in London for work while Lea Salonga was playing Eponine right after the 10th Anniversary special. I went twice it was so awesome!

Lea is fabulous! I wish I could have seen her in the full production as Eponine, but still loved her in the concert. She played Fantine for a few months on Broadway last year and was amazing - probably one of my favorites in that role.

^ She is one of my favorites!

I saw her in Flower Drum Song in LA while it was in tryouts before it went to Broadway.

They had a cast Q&A afterwards and then I met her at the stage door.

Too bad i was too young to fully appreciate/remember it, but i do remember enjoying the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered this was opening in London, next March.

I loved the movie, and still watch my copy of it from time to time - and I hope there will be a cast CD of the show, if they put one out.

Chukkas!

PricillaLondon.jpg.e6a347381e6de1d0a5d6820cb3b86cce.jpg

And I wonder how "Priscilla" is going to be designed and operated... onstage? (smile)

WICKED (The Australian Cast is AMAZING! Amanda is by far the best Elphaba so far!)

Priscilla: "What are you telling me? This is an ABBA turd?"

Saturday Night Fever

The Wizard of Oz

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

The Sound of Music

I had never heard the music from 1776 until my husband was in a local production of it. Love it now; know all the words. When we did the show here, we had some people try to boycott it because the director wouldn't cut Molasses to Rum. Being in Alabama, a song about slavery doesn't really go over well with some people.

I had never heard the music from 1776 until my husband was in a local production of it. Love it now; know all the words. When we did the show here, we had some people try to boycott it because the director wouldn't cut Molasses to Rum. Being in Alabama, a song about slavery doesn't really go over well with some people.

I didn't expect to like 1776 all that much when I decided to see it, but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit and saw it twice when it was on Broadway. Brent Spiner from Star Trek was in it, LOL.

Too bad about the boycotting, but that's good that they kept the show the way it's supposed to be.

"Whose fortunes are made

In the triangle trade . . ."

That song actually makes New England look pretty bad, too.

My favorite musical is Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. I saw it in San Francisco a long time ago with Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett and George Hearn as Sweeney--absolutely incredible. Into the Woods is great, too.

Wow, so is this a safe place to secretly discuss a secret interest in theatre and musicals? Nice! I guess as a band and piano geek a long time ago, as a change and break from the oft’ challenging classical pieces, my piano teacher gave me musical scores to play. The first was Phantom. I have to admit that the one thing I did that was as challenging as learning a classical piece was learning the piano section for South Pacific in high school for the pit band. I was sweating by the end of those three hours. We even had a string section for that sucker. Playing tenor sax for Grease was a lot of fun too.

The interest in actually seeing a musical professionally done was huge after that so the folks took my sister and I to our first, Phantom of the Opera. I remember being amazed at the sensory overload. Concerts are awesome, theatre is fantastic but a musical I found was just in-your-face for anyone who enjoys something a bit more mainstream than classical opera. Oh, since most were seen with the family, a great way to hang out with them in silence for 3 hours!

I think even if panned or not that exciting, musicals deserve some sort of respect so here are two categories: ‘Worth Seeing Again’ and ‘Not So Sure about These but Here’s a Scratch N’ Sniff Sticker for the Effort’. It’s cool hearing thoughts on the ones we’ve all seen.

Worth Seeing Again:

Professional:

Les Mis with Colm Wilkinson (Toronto, 3 times I think)

Phantom of the Opera with Colm Wilkinson (Toronto, about 4 times I think since it was here for 10 years and they even had a “Phantom Educational Program” for elementary students so it was part of the field trip circuit).

Jersey Boys (In Toronto, just amazing!)

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum with Whoopi Goldberg (In NYC)

Miss Saigon (In Toronto)

In the Heights (In NYC)

Beauty and the Beast (In Toronto and NYC)

High School or Community Theatre

South Pacific

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Pirates of Penzance

Leader of the Pack: The Ellie Grenwich Musical

Anything Goes

Hello Dolly

Grease (didn’t everyone do/ see this in high school?)

Pippin (very bizarre..)

Not So Sure about These but Here’s a Scratch N’ Sniff Sticker for the Effort:

Lord of the Rings, Worldwide Premiere (In Toronto, I’m still trying to figure out where those 3.5 hours and the $30 million CAD production cost went)

The Lion King (In Toronto)

We Will Rock You (In Toronto)

Mamma Mia (In Toronto)

Agreed, but Wicked is good too. Also, Avenue Q is amazing.

Hehe, musicals are what I do in the off-season

I was fortunate enough to be in London for work while Lea Salonga was playing Eponine right after the 10th Anniversary special.

First off - so jealous! Her "On My Own" at the 10th Anniversary is my most-watched YouTube video, hehe.

I saw Les Mis in September here in London, and I LOVED it. Weeped like a baby. I've also seen (all West End apart from those I marked):

Avenue Q. Seen this twice now, and LOVE it. It's so funny. I'm so sad it's leaving London in March, but I'll go see it again because I am in serious love with the current lead, hehe.

Joseph. Again, twice, but the first I don't remember cause I was five... my first musical . I don't really like it, but I went to see it again last year because my dad was paying!

The Lion King. Love it. Wouldn't want to see it again for some reason though... and the cast we saw wasn't the best. Shame.

Wicked... with Idina over here doing it! Awesome! Love the music, but there is something about the first half of the second act I don't like... the end is great, but... the first half of that act annoys me.

La Cage Aux Folles . This I saw a few weeks back, and LOVED it. It's so funny, but has so much heart, some amazing music, amazing dancing and the current London cast is one of the best you could hope for. If you're over here, go see it! But, be quick, it only has a few weeks left!

Hairspray. I liked this, but, it's not amazing...

The Producers. Seriously funny, and I do like the music. I don't think it stands up to the test of time, however.

Phantom of the Opera. Beautiful. Absolutely stunning.

Chicago . Fantastic. The minimalistic set really works, and the music and dancing is second to very little. The dancing, especially, is probably the best I've ever seen.

My Fair Lady (regional). This I loved as well! So sweet, and a true classic now. Again, the music's amazing, and I just adore the story, it makes me want to weep... and I've always had a thing for Henry Higgins... hehe

Cats (regional). This I HATED. I've never disliked a show... until this. It was SO boring. I just didn't "get" it...

Follies (regional). Loved this. It deserves so much more praise then it gets. It's funny, has some amazing music, and is just plain Sondheim. That's one thing that upsets me about the West End... it's far too much Lloyd Webber and not half enough Sondheim... who is SO much better!

The King and I (regional). This was OK... I was a bit young I think though...

And I'm going to see Sunset Boulevard on Monday! Yipee! I'll report back .

I WANT to see Blood Brothers, Mamma Mia, Priscilla and Legally Blonde over the next year.

And I've been in Cabaret as a waiter... yay... and then Guys and Dolls as Benny South... street? Can't remember, hehe. That I loved, but the title song is SO hard when they think it's a good idea to remove the instrumental... ever think it was there for a reason, ie., so the singers don't DIE?

EDIT - I'm SO thick! I made that post and forgot the BEST show I have EVER seen - The Rocky Horror Show! I LOVE the film, it's my favourite ever, but, as a show... it's just something else! Want to see that again... and again... and then again