TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

^ Have a great time at both! I'm hoping both Cirque du Soleil's re-imagining of ALEGRIA,

and the upcoming tour of HAMILTON will reach us in late ^ April and late May (for Ham).

Alegria2022.png.4d10028ae03165e1a90d7bcf2aa81d8e.png

This was our very first Cirque show, back in ...... 2003!

And our top seats were ..... $65 each, back then!

The posters are now up, all over New York City and Broadway!

FunnyGirl2022c.png.00894acaaa3fb2e39abc407efd495c6f.png

Wish I could be there to see it. <sighs> Hopefully, an eventual Cast CD will happen.

Photo from the net. Thanks, whoever took this!

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw SIX and COMPANY on Broadway last weekend. I liked Six more than I thought I would, and COMPANY was interesting how they changed up the roles and also the awesome set pieces. Patti LuPone tested positive for COVID-19 just moments before our show started :( but everyone still put on a great show.

Also saw THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG last minute, off Broadway. Had no idea what to expect... a little over the top and predictable (well... most of it) but I definitely laughed more than a few times.

All in all a very expensive but enjoyable weekend!

^ Very envious of what you saw and experienced, with or without Ms.LuPone, lol. I do hope she got better. I actually saw/experienced her in the original "EVITA" back 1979, then later in "Anything Goes" in 1989, on Broadway. What an wonderful actress she is!

And as far as SIX goes, I am so hoping there will be a Tour to come our way, in several months or so.

I've been lip-syncing the studio recording for - ever LOL!

Six01.png.ead77fdda0eb92a91bc978c6712048b2.png

The Broadway 'SIX', on The View, a few months' back.

Just to know .... the annual TONY AWARDS are going to held  on Sunday, June 12th, LIVE on TV, from Radio City Music Hall.

WOO HOO! Something to actually look forward to, theatre-wise. this summer! 😉 On CBS. Check local listings.

TonyAwards2020.png.2ed1189ab3c635713f255304b39f91fc.png

The cut off date for all productions, is April 28th.

• 4 weeks later...

Broadway.com just released new info. about Mrs. Doubtfire:The Musical...

Good news, poppets! Mrs. Doubtfire will release an original Broadway cast recording. The new musical comedy is set to return to Broadway's Stephen Sondheim Theatre on April 14. Details and a release date for the recording will be announced soon.

MrsDoubtfire01.png.dd861b399ee98901925e5b2b01cbdebc.png

The entire cast Act 2 Finale. Rob McClure is 'Mrs.D'  He also portrayed Charlie Chaplin, several years back.

And he played 'Alec Baldwin' in the recent "Beetlejuice: The Musical (The Musical, The Musical)" too! Photo from www.Broadway.com

^ Oh, me too! I love all the behind-the-scenes part of theatre. I used to do shows (amateur & prof) here in Vancouver, and was always interested in how they were putting together the sets and costumes, special effects, etc. Great stuff, and I never get tired of finding out more.

Then, we see these great tours of productions, and I am always looking forward to what they do (or don't do) production-wise. ie. trap doors, rotating stages, things that fly in and out, etc. But I sure miss going to New York and seeing these shows in their original theatre. With all the bells and whistles going! 🎭

By the way ~ If you want to see a really cool "quick change" check out the number that TOOTSIE did on the 2019 TONY Awards. (Then count the seconds, between "Michael" leaving the stage and "Dorothy" appearing. Less than a 1/2 minute, which I find incredible for that kind of a change!

P.S. Found the link to it! https://www.facebook.com/TheTonyAwards/videos/tony-awards-2019-tootsie-performance/351106818931752/ And Santino Fontana won the Best Actor in A Leading Role in A Musical TONY, for this role.

P.P.S. There's an interview with Rob McLure on www.broadway.com - and he talks about the number of "suits" he has depending on how fast he has to change, etc. Go to the site, and SEARCH for him. The interview should still be around.

MrsDoubtfire.png.9fd67775ae032f373ec968ae7d1a5b89.png

Rob McLure (Mrs.D) and the kids. Photo courtesy of Good Morning America.

THIS JUST IN!

A recent interview with Daniel Radcliffe revealed a possible Broadway something in "the future"....

I've got a really nice life. I've been with my girlfriend for a decade pretty much. We're really happy," he said. "I just got to make the Weird Al movie, which is honestly one of the most pleasurable, exciting experiences in my career. I'm doing the last season of Miracle Workers this year and then another Broadway show. So it's a good year, man. I'm really happy with how it's all going so far."

Am hoping for another musical he does, PLEEEEEEASE! (Most likely a play, though. But really, who knows, till it's actually announced?)

:b 🎭 :br

• 2 weeks later...

For those who need to know: The 2022 TONY Awards' Nominations occur on Monday, May 9th.

And the TONY AWARDS will be broadcast on Sunday, June 12th. On CBS of course.

tonyaward01.jpg.c3498edb41044964e2a1794b5c096d35.jpg

Edited by Nrthwnd
TONY Nominations original date, moved up a week.

• 3 weeks later...

And, from the "FINALLY, Dept."...

There will be a Broadway Cast Recording of SIX! But in addition to that,

this will be the Very First Ever LIVE Opening Night Recording!

:b

Here's the Broadway.com site, announcing the news and link to pre-order it:

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/202153/six-to-release-original-broadway-cast-recording-six-live-on-opening-night/

Six03.png.a9c193d4a1a7749a69b5d4815e0570ef.png

FYI ~ Opening Night was on Oct. 03, last year.

• 2 weeks later...

^ And as well.....

It's just been announced that the Broadway Cast Recording of the Pulitzer Prize winning A Strange Loop,  will be available by June 10th!

AStrangeLoop2022.png.d4a0fc80751342f6e405eeba8dd4eaf1.png

More information about it's release, AND for pre-ordering it:

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/202017/a-strange-loop-announces-plans-for-broadway-cast-recording/

• 2 weeks later...

From the "What's On Tonight?" Dept...

PBS is airing tonight, as part of their Great Performances series: "Keeping COMPANY With Stephen Sondheim"

It's (at least) an hour special, with the usual breaks asking for donations, etc. Ends up being 1-1/2 hours in total.

And it's all about how they managed to switch the sexes in most of "Company". Including a Gay Wedding, too!

Should be a great look at how it all came to be. Here's the LINK to PBS with more info. on the special:

https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/great-performances-presents-exclusive-look-inside-broadway-revival-of-company-in-new-pbs-documentary/

🎭

Company2021d.png.ac0a842db29dc48526457dbdc08e1e28.png

Lead Katrina Lenk (Bobbie) and The Gang.

EDIT TO REVIEW: This was an absolutely wonderful look at how the whole musical thing called "COMPANY" came to be in 1970. Then it takes you through most of the entire current production, with interviews with everybody connected with it AND those who are still around from the original production (Donna McKechnie who went on, to "A Chorus Line"). And as well, those who appeared in at least three other productions (2 revivals on Broadway, and 1 in London). And they never cut to anyone asking for donations! I mean, it was PBS, right? But it's a full hour and  a half of Sondheim at it's best. He did get to see first previews on Broadway. But then, a week and a half later, he passed away in his sleep.

I do realize that during the 1950's and 1960's, he was at the top of his game there too, lyrics and/or music, before the 1970's and on. But I always like to (now) think that the Best of Steve started with COMPANY (1970), and has now ended with COMPANY (2022). If you get a chance to find and see this special, do so! If you're a Sondheim freek like I am, you won't regret it.

• 1 month later...

I went to a community theatre production of Beauty and the Beast on Friday night while Disneybounding the Beast. I had some great interactions with cast members after the show.

20220722_213242.thumb.jpg.7eceffa2505816a54b6d965cc4447e50.jpg

I even got to dance with Belle a little bit.

20220722_212727.thumb.jpg.aaf1e9a7bd46d3bf651a897870527ced.jpg

I had Gaston put me in a headlock.

20220722_213525.thumb.jpg.2375bea804ad18b7a230caceb1e4f2ed.jpg

Poor Beast was one of the many cast members having mic issues all show. I went opening night so I hope they can get it all sorted out.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Found that the show biz paper, VARIETY, has just posted an article about "Sondheim's Last Musical" to be produced in the fall!

Stephen Sondheim’s Final Musical ‘Here We Are’ to Premiere Off-Broadway in Fall

:b:br

Here's the link to the whole article: https://variety.com/2023/legit/news/stephen-sondheim-final-musical-here-we-are-broadway-1235556360/

• 1 month later...

And for those like me, who need/WANT to know...

The 2023 TONY AWARD Nominations happen tomorrow morning, in New York, 9 am EST.

I believe  https://www.broadway.com/ is a good site to check out for a broadcast of the noms.

Or, head to the Tony Awards site itself for the "you are there" announcements. https://www.tonyawards.com/

Best of Luck (spits on floor three times, then turns three times) to all the nominees. 🏆

TONYSopening2013a.jpg.b45cf00c249e72dcfab19c11e60c1ea5.jpg

w/o Neil P. Harris on June 11th.

And here's The Five who got The 2023 TONY Nomination (among other noms) for BEST MUSICAL ....

BRDWY2023TonyNoms.png.9d90d3e0d3fa4c254c7012b6f7048de4.png

Broadcast of the TONYs is Sunday, June 11th. On CBS. 8pm EST (Live).

And the three musicals which got totally shut out of the TONY Nominations, were: "A Beautiful Noise: The Neil Diamond Musical"; "Bob Fosse's Dancin'"; and "Bad Cinderella" (Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest, from London's West End).

"Dancin'" has already posted a closing notice. I wonder if and when the other two will follow suit. There are exceptions that hold on and still do good business. "Finding Neverland" was one of those Tony Shut-Outs, that still played for a good year+ (2015-16) before c;losing.

On 5/3/2023 at 6:59 PM, Nrthwnd said:

And here's The Five who got The 2023 TONY Nomination (among other noms) for BEST MUSICAL ....

BRDWY2023TonyNoms.png.9d90d3e0d3fa4c254c7012b6f7048de4.png

Broadcast of the TONYs is Sunday, June 11th. On CBS. 8pm EST (Live).

I saw 2 of them and here are my thoughts:

Kimberly Akimbo is beautiful and heartbreaking. Victoria Clark WILL win the Tony for best actress. It has already been announced that a national tour will go out so see it! So life affirming.

Some Like It Hot is a big splashy Broadway musical in every sense of the word. The score by the same team that wrote Hairspray is filled with swinging tunes. Literally! Almost every song is an uptempo swing song, and they are all great. This show NEEDS to win some Tonys to continue running. 

& Juliet also announced a national tour already, and the show is continually selling out. It doesn't need any wins to continue making money at the box office.

I really wanna see Shucked. I have heard nothing but great things about it.

NYNY? Don't know if it will last if it doesn't win anything. We'll see!

• Thanks 1

178E7F5D-E726-4FF4-912D-0993ABE1543D.thumb.JPEG.2ad52d41ac29013a70b4d6d4bacbf487.JPEG

It was great to be back at the Dr. Phillips Center in Orlando for the National Tour of My Fair Lady!  

1365292940_MadelinePowellasElizaDoolittleinTheNationalTourofMYFAIRLADY.PhotobyJeremyDaniel(4643)..thumb.jpg.3a294a9ddb87f5abdfe5a6684e303a20.jpg

If you are a fan of this classic musical it is absolutely a MUST SEE!  

318526807_JonathanGrunertasProfessorHenryHigginsMadelinePowellasElizaDoolittleandJohnAdkisonasColone-TheNationalTourofMYFAIRLADY.PhotobyJeremyDaniel(4106).thumb.jpg.6f1ce3b7c8f7b94d181b6a1feb2db5eb.jpg

The current tour borrows the sets from the 2018 Broadway revival and the cast for the tour were fantastic!

IMG_5635.thumb.jpg.fa60f60f95c63d33b892c7a4fae3cd17.jpg

This was my first time seeing My Fair Lady (I know, I know...) and while we really enjoyed it, it does move a little slower than a more modern musical, but that being said, it was great to finally see this classic show!

1188243959_TheCompanyofTheNationalTourofMYFAIRLADY.PhotobyJeremyDaniel(5117)..thumb.jpg.1fa38c32527b8142044379835bf31191.jpg

When you are planning travel to Orlando, remember there is a lot more to do than just the theme parks, and if you are a fan of the arts, then you should absolutely check the schedule at the Dr. Phillips Center to include a show during your Orlando vacation!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

^ We're getting our "Broadway Across Canada" subscription shows, now. Aladdin is up next for us, late July. We may get "My Fair Lady" in the 2024-25 Season.  I know it won't be the same Broadway cast, but I do love the revival's CD. That said...

This was one of those "shot in the dark" kind of musical CD purchases for me. It actually, suddenly appeared in the Musicals Section of Amazon.ca. a couple of days ago. There is nothing to tell about it, except it's a few years old apparently. Started out (like in New York) Off-West End, and just opened recently in the West End. The reviews of this musical are pretty ecstatic. Too ecstatic for me, personally.  But I still bought it, nonetheless.

Hmmm.... I remember there was to be a UK musical being created, based on the popular "Great British Baking Show," on tv. Could this be the resulting musical? Time will tell when I receive it. But anyone from the London area, or someone who saw it while traveling there, I would really like to know more about this one. Thanks in advance. 😀

OperationMincemeatUK.png.ccdb385baa4dce629fc8cb4e54a25c50.png

Eye catching colour and title/logo. "Ba - nan - aaaaaa" 😋

EDIT TO ADMIT: I Googled it, and it's actually based on a book and movie about 1943, the war.... and stuff. Here's the actual link to it all: https://www.operationmincemeat.com/ So no singing about baked goods for us, lol. For now ....

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have forgotten .... The 2023 TONY Awards is this Sunday!

On PLUTO TV, with the "Creative Awards," one hour before the main broadcast, on CBS 8 pm EST / 5 pm PST or a 'trimmed' later showing, 8 pm PST. Check your local listings.

TONYS2021.png.5037a3ea6738ffd088c4b1ed33f96286.png

Am repeating this RANT in here, too.

This is a RANT as well as a "SHAME ON CBS" thing.

The Theatre Wing's annual TONY Awards took place last Sunday night. On it's regular network, CBS. Has been for years and years. But - the Best DIRECTOR of a MUSICAL, who won for directing the revival of "Parade," took to remembering what it was like to be bullied and being called "the F-word."

What he then said, was (more or less) "...and I am a Faggot who's just won a TONY!"

But that phrase was censored by CBS. You could see the audience totally erupt at this, and give him a long sustained applause and standing O.

He truly owned that awful word, with his speech. IMhO. And he got partially censored for it.

Shame, CBS. You blew it.

P.S.  But beside "all of the above"...

The show went pretty good, with a spectacular non-scripted-but-choreographed Opening Number that, like last year's, stopped the show!

And all the winners literally having all the time they wanted, in their acceptance speeches (except See Above, etc.), looks like it evened up the timing of the broadcast itself.. and in the end, running overtime Only a few minutes!  Usually it runs up to 40 minutes overtime. But that also includes a script, etc. etc. So .... maybe it's time for those producing this show to actually consider "maybe" a 3-1/2 to 4 hour time slot? It's the best shot to improve the outreach time to all who watch the Awards on tv. And Online. 😉 And also pack it with Show Commercials! Those are as great (to me), as much as the broadcast is!

So, it makes me go Hmmm, about how much of the next year's show they're going to want, actually, "scripted" by WGA writers.

Plus, I hope the union finally gets what it deserves. Better pay, etc. Storytelling on (literal/programed) paper, is where it all starts.

And ... rather than type it all out, here's the link to the 2022~23 Season TONY Wins. https://www.broadway.com/buzz/203272/kimberly-akimbo-wins-tony-for-best-musical-and-leads-with-5-total-awards/

KimberlyAkimbo.png.da1a1f849b98ae540551316e991a0378.png

The Big Winner of this season's TONY Awards. Five in all, including Best Musical.

• Like 1