TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

^ I also remembered, Legally Blonde had that cute little "gift giving scene" ("It's a shampoo AND conditioner, in one!") in it, while Elle is studying, missing Christmas and Thanksgiving and everything else seasonal.

Radio City's Holiday Spectacular was a kind of 'given' to me. But hey - it counts!

RadioCityChristmas.jpg.31e983cb993bffc30ebf4fea8b9e013a.jpg

Revival Question: Anybody agree with me, that a new (finally) revival of APPLAUSE should happen?

It opened in 1970 with Lauren Bacall in the lead. And she won her first TONY for playing Margo Channing

(of 2 - her second was for Kander & Ebb's Woman Of The Year). And...I believe it was My Very First

Broadway Cast Recording (an LP, and later on, the cd) at the time it was released.

And, this year is the 50th Anniversary of it's opening, in 1970. (FOLLIES will follow in 2021, for it's 50th.)

So - any idea on who who should play Margo and who should play Eve for a revival like this?

And of course, update the darned thing to the 21st century. The disco number might have to

be changed a bit, too. ("But Alive")

EDIT to Add: In my head, I immediately thought of Anne Hathaway for Eve. Or Emily Blunt. Yes? No? Actually, they could both be in it. One playing Eve, the other playing the gypsy dancers' Leader, played by Bonnie Franklin in the original. As far as Margo Channing goes, thinking of Meryl Streep is easy. But I also think that Beth Leavel (Drowsy Chaperone, The Prom) would be perfect for this part. AND she's currently tackling Streep's Miranda Priestley in the stage musical version of "The Devil Wears Prada." APPLAUSE could be her next project, hmm?

Applause.jpg.553a605f67303ff1f8e7109b3e1bab8d.jpg

Lauren Bacall, in her TONY-winning role, of Margo Channing.

Applause_CD_Cover.png.d9afed754bc8369fbd7de5c93599f373.png

For anyone who is having a theatre withdrawal (or like me lives in an area with a dearth of live theatre), for the next few weeks some ALW musicals are going to be streaming for free on YouTube. Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat is up now (the version with the Osmonds from about 20 years ago), and Jesus Christ Superstar is up next. They release every Friday at 1 PM Central.

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-shows-must-go-on/

^That's really a great deal. Although I would wish that Stephen Sondheim would/could air a few of his musicals, which happen to be actually filmed onstage, like "Into The Woods," "Sunday In The Park With George," "Passion," and 2 (or is it 3?) stage versions of "Sweeney Todd" that were taped for public sale. I have them all, of course, LOL. And there's the old chestnut of the movie "A Little Night Music" with Elizabeth Taylor. And the new film of "Into The Woods" with Meryl Streep and a big singing cast.

C'mon Steve! You may share the same birthday as ALW,

(Mar.22) but not the same collection of musicals, like you have.

p.s. I giggled at seeing the promo photo for ALW's "Joseph..." Not only Donny Osmond (as Joseph) there in the shot, but who he's leaning against, it's Joan Collins, who was one of The Evilest Bs in television history, in the original TV 'drama series' DYNASTY.

Joseph2000.jpg.935938d2bd12172ceefccbd61e55ebf4.jpg

"Just best friends." Joan and Donny, chillin'.

I've recently been obsessed with Ghost Quartet, which Dave Malloy posted a full recording of the other week on

. It's not really a traditional musical, it's heavily inspired by concept albums, and also a little confusing (small cast playing multiple characters telling multiple, interconnected stories not necessarily in chronological order), but it's really interesting!

^ I am very glad that Sondheim's musicals have been available to buy,

first in VHS, then in DVD. As has Mr. Webber's. I do have quite the Sondheim

Collection, both in DVDs, CDs......and books, too. No complaints about that, lol.

FOLLIESbook.jpg.8171a19ba69353a763b232403ecf19de.jpg

My prize possession. The book. All about FOLLIES and it's creation....

FOLLIESbook01.jpg.c9a9999426d2c6a60be5c589fb5f1113.jpg

....But THIS is the original cover of the book, which is what I have. (o:

^ LOL! You should put this in the Co-vid 19 Thread! I've been trying to put some

humor in that thread, and it's been hit or miss. This should definitely be there.

In the Theme Parks thread. Here. https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77341

And honestly, I think more people need to see all of what the Broadway Community is doing during this time.

Some really imaginative, and a lot of times totally outrageous, online stuff!

In the Theme Parks thread. Here. https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77341

And honestly, I think more people need to see all of what the Broadway Community is doing during this time.

Some really imaginative, and a lot of times totally outrageous, online stuff!

I totally agree. I've seen some of the most creative, funny stuff in this last month!!! (I'll check out that thread. Thanks!)

P.S. I sure wish that people in the performing arts were considered "Small Businesses!" At least they'd get SOME compensation for these dire times!

^ Glad you re-posted it!

When I've looked at some of the interviews of performers in New York (most all thru Broadway.com), a lot of them look so forlorn, and really wanting/NEEDING that Live Audience connection! But the majority of them are coping, and it's also fun to see them "out of (any stage) character" and hopefully, comfy with how they're dealing with It.

Speaking of good things the Broadway community is doing, Lin-Manuel Miranda makes a kid's day with help from Mary Poppins Returns co-star Emily Blunt and several surprise guests (make sure you watch all the way to the end):

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Thanks Y! Nice to see performers addressing the issue of kids with not a heck of a lot to do! Thanks for your video.

P.S. Now tell me what to do with a bored Shih Tzu in an apt!! (I'm trying to teach her the alphabet, but, dang, it's a slow process. Plus...she tells me that the ole "Sit, Stay, Down" et al is stale & totally lame!)

Alice

Note, to "All Who Loooves Their Sondheim"....

There's a big to-do happening to-morrow at 8pmEST/5pmPST at http://www.broadway.com

Full of every possible musical actor you could ever imagine, throwing their musical

gifts towards The GeniusMan who turned 90 last month!

Nothing has been revealed as to who is singing what. But Broadway.com is providing

videos of past performances of Sondheim's works. It's quite something to see and hear.

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199153/more-stars-take-me-to-the-world-a-sondheim-90th-birthday-celebration-just-got-even-bigger/

Applause.jpg.a782ff4e8644693102cb7a5621e4247b.jpg

SOON! The Steven Sondheim Birthday Party-Concert-Celebration-Everything! is about to start.

Enjoy all the performances and words about this awesome musical theatre legend.

EDIT TO ADD: (Monday/27th) Because of all the tech problems they had last night, the concert was done a lot later than some people expected. Or waited for. But you can now see the whole program at http://www.broadway.com .... and now that I watched it, it's pretty good! I especially enjoyed the "Three-way Ladies Who Lunch," with Audra McDonald; Christine Baranski; and Meryl Streep. Much fun with all of them.

Since this was the day for the 2020 TONY Nominations to come out,

we all know that's going be delayed, as well as everything else in the current world.

But here's the actual posting they released, back at the end of March...

TONYS2020.png.725bd0d3a7603bef5b14fdfb8797a0e8.png

SOON! The Steven Sondheim Birthday Party-Concert-Celebration-Everything! is about to start.

Enjoy all the performances and words about this awesome musical theatre legend.

EDIT TO ADD: (Monday/27th) Because of all the tech problems they had last night, the concert was done a lot later than some people expected. Or waited for. But you can now see the whole program at http://www.broadway.com .... and now that I watched it, it's pretty good! I especially enjoyed the "Three-way Ladies Who Lunch," with Audra McDonald; Christine Baranski; and Meryl Streep. Much fun with all of them.

Thanks! I'd read about it but I can always count on YOU to keep us updated!

ALICE

^ Aw shucks, thanks. By the way, the latest fundraising online 'concerts' just shows how much Broadway and New York Theatre in general (state wide and nearby states, too), treasures what it's got, in all these amazing imaginative performers! Blows me away, every time I am finding out about a new "show" happening, soon. And SOON, too! That's great, as they're more spontaneous to be created and performed, rather than months of setups and checking, etc.etc.

I love it all! I hope this generates something more evolved, after most of the medical harm has passed, and it's more controlled. Also, hope for that control, too.

the first 13 minutes of "Into the Woods" (ie: the set up & plot). . quarantine style!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Thanks, Bert. I love how creativity continues to flourish. You just can't keep good Talent down! (And that includes families from the 4 corners of our country who are saying, "Hey kids! Let's put on a show!")

Alice

I saw that Broadway won't reopen until September at the earliest (but I won't be surprised if there's another setback). I also saw an article last week that said that Broadway and the West End might remain closed until sometime in 2021.

^ Yeah I read that, too. People "in the business" (actors, musicians, front of house, stage crews, etc.) over there in New York and in London must be going crazy. Not to mention everywhere else in this Live Onstage! Theatrical World of ours.

It's sad. Our current subscription of touring shows is slowly being picked off the schedule, with the July tour of

"Wicked" being our latest casualty. Our new season starts in Sept. with a tour of "Chicago," but I have the feeling that it won't make it to us. Thankfully, the tour of "Hamilton" doesn't come here until June....next year, lol.