TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

Just found out, there is to be a new cast recording of one of my fave musicals!

Off Broadway or On, it's a great show with amazing songs and great actors to sing them.

(I saw the original, Off-Broadway in late Fall of 1982!)

Coming soon in Digital release. CD date to be announced later.

little_shop.jpg.2d174c8af20fb81ffb2be4002bb9e8de.jpg

Just got this one via Amazon. Listening to it right now. My Birth Year's CD Series. Musicals that opened in "The Year I Came To Be", heh. Presented as a cabaret evening, with lots of interesting trivia about each musical. They have only a few more "years" available, but I am happy with my year's cd.

WOW! wow! WOW! My parents saw many of those Broadway shows....and bought most of the albums! I particularly remember from your '53' album: Me & Juliet, Kismet, & Wonderful Town. Rich with great music. I think I learned almost all the lyrics of most of the shows from that 'Golden Age of Bdway.' Not sure where they are all stored, but somewhere my sister and have those original albums. Post-1953, I remember hearing the '50's revival of Showboat (Jan Clayton) & LOVED that song: "Life Upon a Wicked Stage!" That show had a WEALTH of beautiful music! (Also was in love with The King & I!) I saw some of the more recent revivals of quite of few of those shows and never tire of the art of lyricism that once lit up Broadway.

Enjoy your new 'album!'

Alice

^ I did enjoy it, thanks! My partner David, shares his birthday year (1947), with such notable shows as Brigadoon, Allegro, Finian's Rainbow, High Button Shoes to name a few. I was hoping there was a cd for this year too but alas, not to be.

IMG_1881.JPG.d74a00e2ff27c2011fbcec0857ce41fc.JPG

The year ends with these 3 musicals/events of the 2019/20 Broadway Season, who

actually released CDs practically after their show opened! A rare thing, indeed. (o:

(NOTE: Kiss Me, Kate ~ we still have to wait till January for the revival's CD release.)

^ I did enjoy it, thanks! My partner David, shares his birthday year (1947), with such notable shows as Brigadoon, Allegro, Finian's Rainbow, High Button Shoes to name a few. I was hoping there was a cd for this year too but alas, not to be.

Look, look, look to the rainbow

Follow it over the hill and stream

Look, look, look to the rainbow

Follow the fellow who follows a dream

It was a good Bdway year for your partner David! (Especially 'Finian's Rainbow' & 'Brigadoon.') Hope a '47 CD eventually finds its way 'through the heather on the hill.'

Alice (Admittedly corny, but addicted to classic Bdway musicals!)

^ Well I, myself, have the originals of those 1947 casts too, but in their original LP format - 33-1/3 rpm!

I have nearly 400 LP records. In order of their respective openings. All of them not only musicals, but 'events' on Broadway like Shirley MacLaine's show at The Palace. And one that Liza did. One of the very last LPs I own, is the disaster of a musical, Legs Diamond, starring Peter Allen with a book by Harvey Fierstein!

A number of the songs from this musical did find their way

into the later bio-musical of Allen, The Boy From Oz.

LegsDiamond.jpg.734707c190aa51cafb49edc74ceaa7e5.jpg

Collection_01.jpg.f19d00be5f5e9ff9e0a783ea708126ce.jpg

Part 1- the side edge (with titles) of a lot of these LPs got "used" by a few previous cats in our life.

But they are in chronological order, left to right, and continue to....

Collection_02.jpg.2b6f4ed00a7b5d984175a6f4742fbd63.jpg

...Part 2, at the back of the house, with Legs Diamond at the end of it.

^ Well I, myself, have the originals of those 1947 casts too, but in their original LP format - 33-1/3 rpm!

I have nearly 400 LP records. In order of their respective openings. All of them not only musicals, but 'events' on Broadway like Shirley MacLaine's show at The Palace. And one that Liza did. One of the very last LPs I own, is the disaster of a musical, Legs Diamond, starring Peter Allen with a book by Harvey Fierstein!

A number of the songs from this musical did find their way

into the later bio-musical of Allen, The Boy From Oz.

If I lived near you in Vancouver, I think I could burrow down in your "Music Room" and go one-by-one through your astounding collection!  Hands down, you have the most prolific medley of Broadway musicals (at least of anyone that I know!) -- and you just might never get rid of me!!   I crown you "Best-in-Show" not only for your assemblage of albums, but for your mastery of everything show biz!  (I now know that I can NEVER slip ANY Broadway musical past you!)  High Five!

Well.....okay....just one itty bitty test :  Do you have 'Goldilocks' - the 1958 musical with Elaine Stritch, Don Ameche, Margaret Hamilton, Russell Nype, Pat Stanley -- music by Leroy Anderson &  directed by Walter Kerr & choreographed by Agnes de Mille.  (I think I may have asked you this once -memory slip! - but it's just that almost no one I know seems to have heard of it, let alone own the album.  Not a Broadway 'classic,' but still packed with topnotch talent and good, lively music & dancing.)

Thanks again so much for sharing those pix of your music cave. What a gem!

Happy holidays to you & David!

Alice

^ Thanks! I always did what I could, considering the distance from NYC. I must say though, that there used to be a lot of great (used and new) record stores around the city. With sections for soundtracks and cast recordings, too. I could check every few months at each one, and I would usually find a "new~old" Brdway cast album there.

Found Goldilocks. It is the Original Brdwy cast recording, but packaged in one of these "series" I have found through the years. There were other shows packaged like this. Don't remember, but this one was obviously one of this Collector Series.

And a Happy Holiday Season for you and yours.

IMG_1885.JPG.7f91c1dc320567fbc6a4fda7ec719b38.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG.8926d4118569333a9f88121a84f7b7ee.JPG

Above the big words are "Columbia Records", as this is who produced this series.

IMG_1887.JPG.44723e19bbb61750061127a8cdc39d10.JPG

With the cast you mentioned.

MeAndSanta_Bakken2014.jpg.5d670ba11fdf61affdd2ac3cf3e09bfe.jpg

'Dad' and me. (o;

Bakken Park, Denmark, 2014.

^ Thanks! I always did what I could, considering the distance from NYC. I must say though, that there used to be a lot of great (used and new) record stores around the city. With sections for soundtracks and cast recordings, too. I could check every few months at each one, and I would usually find a "new~old" Brdway cast album there.

Found Goldilocks. It is the Original Brdwy cast recording, but packaged in one of these "series" I have found through the years. There were other shows packaged like this. Don't remember, but this one was obviously one of this Collector Series.

And a Happy Holiday Season for you and yours.

Bravo! You are now officially one of only 2 people I know (well, also my twin sister!) who actually knows of the show AND has the Original Broadway cast recording of Goldilocks! My parents took us (we were mere tots!) to the show and we got the orig. album - with Elaine Stritch dancing with the Bear. It's fun to check out some old pix on websites of Stritch, Ameche, Nype, Stanley, Hamilton rehearsing at the "grand" Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. OMG were they young!

Alice

This just in

"Legendary Composer and Lyricist Jerry Herman Has Passed Away at 88"

Here's a link to the announcement: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BREAKING-Legendary-Composer-and-Lyricist-Jerry-Herman-Has-Passed-Away-at-88-20191227

Very sad news. Reading more about his legendary contribution to Broadway, I realized I'd forgotten his FIRST Bdwy musical, Milk and Honey. My parents had the album, and even as a child growing up, I appreciated his truly beautiful music & lyrics.

Just read in a tribute to Herman:

That same year producer Gerard Oestreicher approached him after seeing a performance of "Parade", and asked if he would be interested in composing the score for a show about the founding of the state of Israel. The result was his first full-fledged Broadway musical, Milk and Honey in 1961. The show, about American tourists in Israel (& the love of a conflicted mid-aged couple), starred Robert Weede, Mimi Benzell and Molly Picon.
Herman was definitely one of Broadway's most prolific talents! If you have the album, enjoy this beautiful, poignant score.

Alice

^ I may do myself a "Jerry Herman Tribute Evening" in the house, playing his shows one after the other, heh. I must say, though, the one that really gets me every time is Mack & Mabel. I "nearly" caught the original show in NYC, back in my first Broadway visit, 1976. I know that the show never reached that year, having opened, and closed, the year before. But I still hoped at the time. And I still have the original cast cd of it, and the special early (late 1970's?) concert they did of it, in LP format! I forget who was in it, but I have it around here, somewhere.

And...New News! The last recorded cast album of the 2018-19 Broadway Season is finally out on CD! Kiss Me, Kate! has been out in digital for a few months, but not till now has it been available in good old CD format! One copy is now on it's way to me, and then I'll finally complete that season of CDs ~ unless by some miracle, King Kong:The Musical happens.

KissMeKate2019.jpg.f5b3b6e3cd442cafde2a7da8a40c351d.jpg

Now available, CD-ed!

So, any comments on today's Oscar nominations? And/or Snubs? Lots of Broadway Alumni in the running.

Bit of a surprise, was "Frozen II" left out of the Best Animated Feature list. But after re-seeing "Missing Link" the other night, I have to think it still could be The Winner, like it was at The Golden Globes.

Big AND - I think it will be brilliant if "someone" suggests that John Travolta again,

intros the Nominated Best Song from FROZEN II... "Into The Unknown".

Sung by you-know-who..... Adele Dazeem!

Hoping for that.

if-then2014b.jpg.50d73f251339d3b42fa100ee09f59d28.jpg

2014. Where IDINA MENZEL was performing on Broadway, during the Oscars weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Woo hoo!

Wait for It: Filmed Performance of Hamilton, Featuring Original Cast, to Arrive in Cinemas in Fall 2021!

The announcement was posted at Broadway.com ...

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/198307/wait-for-it-filmed-performance-of-hamilton-featuring-original-cast-to-arrive-in-cinemas-in-fall-2021/

HamiltonOnFilm.thumb.jpg.90d44440b66ef82ed20de8d79cbc705a.jpg

...With Lin Manuel Miranda (r.) and the Original Broadway Cast!

^ Who knows? It could be figuring out all the union contracts that have to be done, etc.

The filming of it was the probably the easiest thing about doing this. The rest is all 'money concerns.'

I also found it ironic, that finally, we're getting to see a touring production of it (in Vancouver), but not till

July 2021 - less than three months before that screening with the original Brdwy cast. Ahhh, timing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just hit with a movie casting revelation!

Found out before the holidays, that FOLLIES was finally going to be made as a film!

This is following a HUGE London Revival that was repeated with a totally new cast a year later!

And the director of that revival, is The Director for this!

So, I had an idea. Could the cast of the film CHICAGO (2002), be a repeat cast for these 4 parts in FOLLIES?....

Sally - Renee Zellweger

Phyillis - Catherine Zeta-Jones

Buddy - John C. Reilly

Benjamin - Richard Gere

And "just because"...

Carlotta - Meryl Streep

Opera Singer - Renee Fleming

Hmmm? Possible?

• 3 weeks later...

Not a musical, but still, he is to be remembered for this....

Mart Crowley, Tony-Winning Playwright of The Boys in the Band, Is Dead at 84.

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/198715/mart-crowley-tony-winning-playwright-of-the-boys-in-the-band-is-dead-at-84/

BoysInBand2019.jpg.ff52e2949a31ad7479ad7d2c2317d107.jpg

To be released as a film this year, care of Ryan Murphy (American Horror Story, Pose), with this original cast in it.

Just read that Broadway shows will be shutting down all performances until April 12th. So far.

So Stephen Sondheim (and all) will miss out on "Company"s opening on Mar.22.... also his birthday.

Company2020.jpg.d9e99054828d6f2af29a930a10516f8e.jpg

Not till mid-April, Bobbie.

And of course, following Broadway (and other venues) shut downs, tours are being cancelled as well.

Our night seeing "Finding Neverland" in April(8th) is gone, now. And Broadway Across ________,

is trying to figure out a cancellation plan to follow. i.e. refunds, credit towards future shows, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
From the "Isn't It Ironic" Dept...

Happy World Theatre Day!

Thanks, NW. WE'LL BE BACK!! Cause MAME says so! :

"For we need a little music,

Need a little laughter,

Need a little singing

Ringing through the rafter,

And we need a little snappy

"Happy ever after,"

Need a little Christmas NOW!"

Happy World Theatre Day to all!

Alice

Hmmm. This reminds me...

How many Broadway Musicals have "something Christmas-y" in them, like "Mame"?

Or are actually about Christmas? Like ACS.

Mame

Here's Love (based on the Macy's Parade)

Elf

A Christmas Story (duh)

RENT

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas ("Hard Candy Christmas")

Mean Girls (the talent show)

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (of course!)

So many shows to remember and figure out, lol.

MeanGirls01.jpg.bcafe57bbe80103a1f11510d49c550b2.jpg

Mean Girls

Hmmm. This reminds me...

How many Broadway Musicals have "something Christmas-y" in them, like "Mame"?

Or are actually about Christmas? Like ACS.

Mame

Here's Love (based on the Macy's Parade)

Elf

A Christmas Story (duh)

RENT

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas ("Hard Candy Christmas")

Mean Girls (the talent show)

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (of course!)

So many shows to remember and figure out, lol.

And WHO can forget Radio City Music Hall's annual Christmas show with the Rockettes!!!

(Well, a little bit "Off-Broadway...")

Alice