TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight we got to see the Off-Broadway smash hit, STOMP, at the beautiful Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center in Downtown Orlando. Segments of Stomp have been featured in commercials, films and even the London Olympics closing ceremonies, so chances are that most of you are familiar with the concept.

From the official website: "Matchboxes, brooms, garbage cans, Zippo lighters and more fill the stage with energizing beats at STOMP, the inventive and invigorating stage show that's dance, music and theatrical performance blended together in one electrifying rhythm." Essentially it is a non-stop ride of percussion and dance that is filled with talented performers and "wow" moments. The Zippo lighter segment was especially impressive to me. It is hard to describe, but imagine synchronized lighters that also have a percussion element! I love non-traditional shows like this that only use body language and dance to keep the audience engaged... and it works SO well here.

Stomp has been playing since 1994 at the Orpheum Theater in New York and has had resident productions in the UK and traveling productions all over the world. I'm really considering seeing it again the next time I am in NY - it seems like you would notice more and more details every time!

Stomp is part of the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Broadway series which you can find more info about here:www.drphillipscenter.org/

And if you're interested in seeing Stomp while on tour or in New York City, here's more info about their schedule: www.stomponline.com/

Stomp1.thumb.jpeg.364179c0e36888c80cbf09ca7b8d5c76.jpeg

The Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center really is beautiful both inside and out. We are VERY lucky to have something of this quality in Orlando!

stomp2.thumb.jpeg.af4e83880916b8317bbe0fa051863f7b.jpeg

One of the hidden gems when you explore the center, is the model of the entire facility - tons of cool details.

stomp3.thumb.jpeg.78f96de626c7c2716ddc95aff34da9c0.jpeg

There is even a hidden Lion King section - kinda like a hidden Mickey!

stomp4.thumb.jpeg.29468706524c970fd09a67ed307a9a79.jpeg

Loved that the cast list is in a "road case" - fits in with the theming of the show very well!

stomp5.thumb.jpeg.5631afebb14d20eb2de595076dd0f458.jpeg

Some cool merchandise! They had a performer after the show who was willing to sign whatever you wanted as well!

stomp6.thumb.jpeg.51205772c32dd446f16b480f0751c0b5.jpeg

I know you have seen this picture before, but it really helps to capture how beautiful this facility is.

stomp7.thumb.jpeg.00b58a026b2185bda2954959ab6433a0.jpeg

This means the show is about to start! I always love reading the performer bios.

stomp8.thumb.jpeg.b4c56db974ce623abc960a0f3b6ff166.jpeg

The set is really cool! As you can imagine, everything possible is used as an instrument!

stomp9.thumb.jpeg.447f7baa7a4701525c2a573fe722af3d.jpeg

Curtain call! Huge standing ovation for these very talented performers.

Speaking of Valentine's Day.....

This is coming to Broadway, unfortunately not with the former Dr.Who, Matt Smith.

But I ordered the London Cast of it, to check it out.

(The cd's coming out near the end of March, on Amazon.)

I listened to the whole CD (streaming on EW.com) and honestly was underwhelmed.

Every song sounded like the one prior. The only really good songs were the covers from the 80's: "True Faith" by New Order, "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins, "Don't You Want Me" by The Human League, and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears.

Maybe I just need to see it onstage, but I doubt it will change my opinion of the score.

Stream it here: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/17/american-psycho-stream-full-london-cast-recording

^^Saw the same touring Company up in Lexington a few weeks back. Really great show. So much better than when I saw it in LA way back in the 90's. I'm glad they added much more humor to it. It seemed like it took itself very seriously way back then. It is a much more well rounded show now. Hope you had a great time.

It's fun but nothing too sensational, it's mostly Korean percussion but we all really enjoyed it. There's 3 theaters for it here in Seoul and quite a lot of showings, especially on Saturday's so it's not too hard to get tickets, we went for the cheapest ones on the balcony in Myeongdong and the view was fine it was about 28 dollars with a discount they had.

Seeing the tour of Mamma Mia! on Wednesday night.

I have avoided at least two tours of it through here, for one reason or another.

And after the movie came out, I really enjoyed what they did with that.

Anyway, this was the add-on show, up for this previous "Best of Broadway Season" here.

So, I thought why not? Got myself a good seat. BTW, we get "Book of Mormon" as the add-on

for this coming season (late Aug.), woo hoo! Yes! One can never have too much "Mormon".

And I must admit, ABBA was definitely a part of my great bar life in my gay old days, lol.

03099_show_portrait_large.jpg.1c0939977f1690e0c673423a2e1201c5.jpg

The original London production poster.

Tonight we got to see the musical, "Dirty Dancing - The Classic Story Onstage", at the beautiful Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center in Downtown Orlando. While this production never ran on Broadway, it actually has European and Australian roots - having run in both countries as a touring show for years!

From the official website: "It’s the summer of 1963, and 17 year- old Frances ‘Baby’ Houseman is about to learn some major lessons in life as well as a thing or two about dancing. On vacation in New York’s Catskill Mountains with her older sister and parents, Baby shows little interest in the resort activities, and instead discovers her own entertainment when she stumbles upon the staff quarters when an all-night dance party is in full swing. Mesmerized by the raunchy dance moves and the pounding rhythms, Baby can’t wait to be part of the scene, especially when she catches sight of Johnny Castle the resort dance instructor. Baby’s life is about to change forever as she is thrown in at the deep end as Johnny’s leading lady both on-stage and off with breathtaking consequences."

Look - if you have seen the classic movie, you know EXACTLY what you are in for here! Lots of toe tapping songs, awesome dance numbers and some laugh-out-loud moments! The dancing really steals the show here and the talent of the cast is VERY evident. They also use technology very well in this show, with both projection and LED screens bringing some of the movies most memorable scenes to life. Also of note is the great live band that is on stage and plays an integral part in many scenes. This may not be a Broadway classic, but you will have a TON of fun and you will know every scene. The reaction in the audience when Johnny says "Nobody puts Baby in the corner" - is worth the price of admission alone.

"Dirty Dancing - The Classic Story Onstage" is part of the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Broadway series which you can find more info about here: www.drphillipscenter.org/

And if you're interested in seeing Dirty Dancing while on tour here or in England, here's more info about their schedule: us.dirtydancingontour.com/

dirty1.thumb.jpeg.171bf10e152513f7b81faf49e75e3206.jpeg

It is a RAINY night at the beautiful Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center, but that is not going to stop us!

Dirty2.thumb.jpeg.2623e728cf19c32fefa46c6e619b41a5.jpeg

The dancers, singers and musicians in the cast were ALL very talented.

Dirty3.thumb.jpeg.80f2638e1b4ebc2b30e0ee9657f210c5.jpeg

The merch was VERY popular and had some funny options, including the BABY dance shorts!

Dirty4.thumb.jpeg.2c1f7d6f04cf37f095e943dbcad93fed.jpeg

Snack time before the show! I LOVE the cheese and meat plate - really high quality!

163918909_Dirty5.thumb.jpeg.3c94a5b3641a37a2fe455374bd8da816.jpeg

There are so many nice spots to wait for the theater to load on all levels, its a wonderfully designed theater.

Dirty6.thumb.jpeg.0a0aa4155f39fa61b2febd09163fb33d.jpeg

Time to get DIRTY!

Dirty7.thumb.jpeg.d3cc0140d4b377851890c82650355449.jpeg

Curtain call! Great cast and you can see how the musicians were positioned at the top of the stage

488108040_dd06r-jpg(1).thumb.jpg.a951e01bf36c3f0c5644fe2905a6120f.jpg

If you know the movie - you know the famous watermelon scene!

dd04r-jpg.thumb.jpg.07ca9ef5531b434c04dbffd3d6f36198.jpg

The "learning to dance" transition scene was done really well!

dd05r-jpg.thumb.jpg.1786833f496aca50145f3ab6bb0fafb4.jpg

The dancing really was TOP NOTCH!

dd01r-jpg.thumb.jpg.b40abf470b79af8cb4760c153e092f88.jpg

Of no surprise to anyone, this was a very SEXY show!

Edited by disneyfan1313

^ Sounds like the same great production we saw a few months ago. Good to read it's still going strong.

And - Steve Martin has just opened his very first Broadway Musical!

Named Bright Star. Lots of blue grass music in it. Break A Leg!

235220637_brightstar.jpg.a0eb4b4932ffa7c402c485f7c8204717.jpg

^^We're getting Dirty Dancing in Reno next year. I'm excited to see it. In 2 weeks we are getting Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat. I listened to Andre Lloyd Weber growing up, so I'm excited to see this one. Then, it's Million Dollar Quartet at the end of the month. I'm really excited to see that one because it has Elvis is in it!

• 3 weeks later...

Last I saw was Book of Mourmon. Funniest show I've seen. We got tix 2 hours before the show and got amazing seats for $30. People next to us paid well over $100 a tix.

Just announced that Harvey Fierstein will become Edna Turnblad again (he won the 2003 TONY for it, and the musical itself won a total of 8 TONYs) in a televised version of Hairspray. Jennifer Hudson has also been announced to portray Motormouth Maybelle. AND the recent director for Grease:LIVE! has signed on to direct this Broadway-to-TV production of it. No casting info.yet on who will play Tracy, Seaweed, Penny, etc.

http://www.Broadway.com

HAIRSPRAY.jpg.73e28628725de8be3d1e112acce241b2.jpg

"Tracy, Motormouth & Edna"(Harvey) in the original Broadway production of HS.

I'm still trying to figure out what musical(s) got totally snubbed at the TONY Nominations, this morning.

Including the ones who closed already, during this past season. For now, all I see is Amazing Grace and

Allegiance not getting a single nomination.

It appears that every show (still running) got a bit of TONY nom love. Hamilton of course, cleaned up

with 16 nominations (one for every category incl.multiple acting nods), beating the previous holders

of 15 each, The Producers and Billy Elliot.

TONY Night is Sunday, June 12 on CBS. Check for local times.

Here's the list of musicals that got multiple nominations...

Hamilton - 16

Shuffle Along - 10

She Loves Me - 8

Bright Star - 5

The Color Purple - 4

School of Rock—The Musical - 4

Waitress - 4

Fiddler on the Roof - 3

Spring Awakening - 3

American Psycho - 2

Disaster!, Tuck Everlasting, On Your Feet!, and Dames at Sea got one TONY nom each.

TONYSopening2013.jpg.8f7f7a0285405d225d8b1f672dfc513a.jpg

TONY Night Opening, 2013. This year's host is James Corden, he of the Karaoke Carpool w/Adele fame. (o;

Tonight we got to see the Tony and Grammy award winning musical, "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical", at the fantastic Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center in Downtown Orlando. This production is still on Broadway and is also showing on the West End in London.

From the official website: "Before she was Carole King, superstar—she was Carole King, teenage songwriter. Her music would become the soundtrack to a generation.

She fought her way into the record business as a teenager and, by the time she reached her twenties, had the husband of her dreams and a flourishing career writing hits for the biggest acts in rock ‘n’ roll. But it wasn’t until her personal life began to crack that she finally managed to find her true voice.

BEAUTIFUL tells the inspiring true story of King’s remarkable rise to stardom, from being part of a hit songwriting team with her husband Gerry Goffin, to her relationship with fellow writers and best friends Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann, to becoming one of the most successful solo acts in popular music history. Along the way, she made more than BEAUTIFUL music, she wrote the soundtrack to a generation."

This is a "jukebox musical" where you don't walk in realizing that you know all the songs, and you walk out AMAZED how many songs that you actually know! (You make me feel like a) Natural Woman, I feel the earth move and The Locomotion are just a few of the songs on this amazing soundtrack. The staging and set design were very impressive for a traveling show with a couple of pretty awesome costume quick changes that you don't expect in a show like this. In addition to being surprised that I knew so many of the songs, I was also quite surprised how funny it was! The cast was filled with amazingly strong singers and it even had one of the original cast members from Newsies... you can't beat that!

"Beautiful: The Carole King Musical" is part of the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Broadway series which you can find more info about here: www.drphillipscenter.org/ Tickets are available in Orlando through May 8th.

And if you're interested in seeing Beautiful while on tour or on Broadway or in London, here's more info about their schedule: beautifulonbroadway.com/

Beautiful1.thumb.jpg.80ba62d213a9577ff76534371eec37d5.jpg

If you have been to the Dr. Phillips Center you realize that it is one of the premiere modern theaters in the country.

Beautiful2.thumb.jpg.5af9b6890b18ebaf8dbca20eb76a098f.jpg

They had some great merchandise that featured lyrics from some of her best known songs.

Beautiful3.thumb.jpg.b1f65e4b7895ca95159d78b97aa5dc09.jpg

I love that they had a photo spot - I wish more shows did this!

Beautiful4.thumb.jpg.c1ba6bb49984183bd55912a702189160.jpg

Shhhh.... it's showtime!

Beautiful5.thumb.jpg.89d753a79c52a8dcca2927c38cb5e9e8.jpg

Curtain Call! What an amazingly talented group of cast members!

78835917_eFourFriends.thumb.jpg.946c28cc017925bf72e7b42fdc47d052.jpg

Singers and Songwriters - such talent and such memorable songs!

^ Cool! We're not getting "Beautiful" in our upcoming 2016-17 Broadway in Vancouver Season.

Maybe the next one, they'll bring a tour this way. Or it may just come by on it's own, but I'm

pretty sure it'd be part of some subscription series.

And a sad rant: The Vancouver Opera Assoc. is doing another Broadway musical: EVITA. (They

did Sweeney Todd last year.) And the part of Che is being played by....Ramin Karimloo,

he of Les Mis on Brdwy and the Phantom in London... )o:

ARRRRRRGH! If I had paid attention to the advertising, I would have seen his name, and bought tix immediately!

But they have a sell-out on their hands with this one. And I don't intend to "stand by" for cancellations, etc.

Lesson learned. Reminded to read up more, if the Van.Opera decides to do another musical in the future.

Publicity Silliness: When the ad comes on TV or the radio, it's Patti LuPone's version of "Argentina" you hear.

Not who's playing it now, in Vancouver.

Evita-72dpi-300.jpg.ef56b9ea96b7645add815e3586573249.jpg

The VOA logo for "Evita."

RaminKarimloo.jpg.e2165e698a584dcbe7b0aab4b4d8f0f0.jpg

Ramin (Che) backstage at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Vancouver Canada. Photo care of www.Broadway.com

• 1 month later...

So, now that we're clearly "almost" into The Day that makes New York ALIVE for three hours' LIVE television time:

TONYTONYTONYTONYTONY.....

I hope everybody who watches this annual TV event, has a great time with it. I know I'm going to!

Starts at 5 PM West Coast Time. Starts at 8 PM East Coast Time.

On CBS. The Tiffany Network.

TONYs2016Corden.jpg.b65f1c7e69a8e99b266125212156b420.jpg

He's Back, Broadway! (Corden won for Best Actor/Play a couple years' back, "One Man, Two Guvnors")

There seems to be a bit more of a casual buzz around the show Tony's this year from "non-theatre" people, probably all because of Hamilton. I know several people that don't follow Broadway or rarely go to a shows in town but are planning to watch the Tony's which is great.

Also, speaking of Hamilton, I lucked out a got tickets back in April when they released some new seats for shows in the fall/spring of 2016/17. Not the best seats in the house but they are seats in the theatre purchased at face value for a show where the resale is CRAZY. I don't know how much of the original cast will still be around in November but I'm optimistic some of them will be, probably not Lin Manuel but ya never know, this thing has had such a crazy run so far it wouldn't surprise me if some of the stars stuck around a bit longer than they normally do.

^ My personal TONY bets for "Hamilton", is that first, it won't even come close to the number of wins that

"The Producers" or "Billy Elliot" got. Second, Best Musical and the Book and Score, yes. Direction probably.

As for all the acting noms, I think that it would be REALLY NICE if all the acting awards in musicals went as follows:

Best Actor - Danny Burstein "Fiddler on The Roof"

Actress - Cynthia Erivo "The Color Purple"

Best Supp.Actor - Christopher Fitzgerald "Waitress"

Supp.Actress - Jan Krakowski "She Loves Me"

And of course, how they're going to take a stand against the murders in Orlando, this morning?

That's what I'd like, apart from all the "Hamilton" love, tonight.

audramcdonald.jpg.cf19ac8d3c9058ee9bb712a1163b026f.jpg

And the lovely 6 Time TONY winner,

Audra McDonald will be a PRESENTER, tonight!

I was pretty happy to see Leslie Odum Jr win for best lead in a musical, as great as that cast was he really did a great job so much that I feel like at this point some of the other characters are easier to replace tha him.

Overall the show was a lot of fun and I thought they did a great job with it. James Corden is the new Neil Patrick Harris .