TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

^ They're going to be announcing our Broadway Over Canada 2016-17 List in January,

and I have the feeling NEWSIES is going to be one of "the three" (I got out of a rep

at "Once" in the lobby) coming to town.

Great if it is! Oh well, if it's not. We're also hoping for the KINKY BOOTS tour to come through.

^ Here is our show schedule for Shea's Theater in Buffalo (which is an amazing theater, by the way). We have heard good things about Kinky Boots from our friends in Boston, but missed it this past season when it came here.

Seems like an awful lot of shows for kids this year, but we are going to see Pippin...anyone here seen that? (Too lazy to scroll through the pages!)

Capture.thumb.JPG.df454f82b8f090ae50f4d5c2b658d6b4.JPG

I don't think that I have ever seen so many shows for kids. Not that that is a bad thing, but wow!

^ Ooooo you just got me intrigued about a couple of other tours "possibly" coming our way.

i.e. Pippin; Beautiful; The Wizard of Oz.

And honestly? I have no interest in The Sound of Music or Annie. No matter how well they're produced, etc.

But if either is part of the package, so be it. And I'm sure we'll enjoy it, nonetheless.

We're getting our "Broadway Over Canada" shows and schedule reveal in January. Can't wait!

Edited by Nrthwnd

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the Book of Mournon in New York. It was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Never laughed so hard. Here's a tip. Wait till two hours before the show and buy the tickets. We got seats for $32 The people next to us paid $150.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote from Broadway.com about the past year....

Smash Is Still Our Star

They thought they could dispose of Smash; they tried to make Smash small. But the little NBC show that could (but didn't) made a resurgence as Megan Hilty, Katharine McPhee, Christian Borle, Debra Messing and more reunited to present a one-night-only Bombshell concert. The fictional Marilyn Monroe tuner is slated to become non-fictional in the near future as it’s developed for Broadway. They’re still gathering a creative team, so Bombshell team, we’re what you’ve been needing; it’s all here and our hearts’ pleading: let us be your book writers. Or Marilyn. Or understudy. Or usher?

Smash2012a.jpg.cff3bd951dff548ac47664fbbcee6b0d.jpg

"Let me be on Broadway!"

For those into cast recordings, here's the set of the 2014-2015 Broadway Season cds.

Not sure if there is more available than this. I'm pretty good about it, but you never know.

But - if all the openings and recordings do happen, THIS season could be awesome, with (to date)

16 recordings of mainly musicals to be bought! And a new Cirque du Soleil Brdwy show, too!

(The cds are in order of when they opened, top row to bottom, left to right each row.)

The2014-15Season.JPG.07164fb5c6054a793c4bcdc2dd3f9c3f.JPG

Happy New Year Broadway!

^What about Hamilton? I'm addicted to that soundtrack.

Anyways, I finally saw Wicked last night. I enjoyed it. It had great singing and acting and the entire thing looked great, from the costumes to the set. However, it's not as great as it's made out to be. The only real showstopper was "Defying Gravity" and the plot was sort-of all over the place. On the bright side, the actress playing Elphaba was actually the standby, but she was absolutely on her A-game.

I'm EXTREMELY excited to see Newsies next month, though.

^ Hamilton is part of the 2015-2016 Season on Broadway. It's all dated to when

the TONYs cut off date, usually mid-late April, happens. And so on. (Right now, the

only cds I have from this current season are Hamilton and School of Rock.)

Which also means, from my observing, it should be The One to win the TONY for Best Musical in June.

An easy call, at this time.

Hamilton2015.jpg.f1670bdf33f14a38c6d6ba8f10e94540.jpg

First musical to open the 2015/16 Broadway Season - Aug.6, 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the tour of If/Then last night when it came to Tempe. We weren't actually able to see Idina as she got food poisoning, but the understudy that performed instead was really good. The show itself was good, but not great. I enjoyed several of the songs but none of them were extremely memorable and the plot can be a little confusing to follow as the storyline shifts were sometimes very abrupt and random. The best part of the show was the set design and staging. The set pieces were very minimal on the large scale, but they used smaller props and placement to create a wide variety of settings and used the large turntable for neat transitions. i definitely enjoyed the show put don't have a strong urge to see it again.

...Thank you again for signing up for our Automatic Renewal program. We are very excited to share the Broadway Across Canada - Vancouver 2016-2017 season lineup with you on January 25. As a participant in the Automatic Renewal program, your subscription seat(s) will be renewed seamlessly on your behalf.

At the other night's performance of "Dirty dancing" I found out at the Info.Table, there would be three tours coming through,

with an add-on musical. And the nice lady told me, that one of these will be one which has toured through here...lately.

My hopes are for "The Book of Mormon," but we''ll find out on the 25th.

And, what plays during Seattle and/or Portland's Seasons doesn't mean it's going to cross the border...darnit.

Some interesting and surprising news has appeared here in the UK. Bananaman, the hero with the strength of twenty men, and the brains of twenty mussels, is being turned into a musical. Its great to hear they are bringing a british hero to life, but I am still a bit irritated how no news what so ever has been released about the Bananaman movie which was meant to have been released last year. It hasn't been cancelled though, so that is some good news. If I remember correctly, more info about the musical is meant to be released on February 2nd. To those who don't know who Bananaman is, he is meant to be a hero who transforms from a boy called Eric Wimp after he eats a bananana. However, Bananaman isn't the brightest of heros. He is a parody of the superhero genre and also uses a lot of puns.

http://www.bananamanlive.com/

And here is one of the cartoon series episodes which aired sometime in the 1980s. And if you want, you can watch all the 5 minute episodes as they have been posted officially on youtube for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qA4Uu_m2Kc

Booked my tickets to Little Shop of Horrors this week. Very much looking forward to this one - I thought the film was great so can't wait to see it on stage.

Also grabbed my seat for Book of Mormon, which starts its Australian run in January next year. They really are selling tickets that far ahead!

^ Little Shop of Horrors is a great stage show if it's done right.

Especially with Audrey II. The plant IS the show, heh.

LittleShopOfHorrorsBrdwy2002.jpg.8100ba9c15cf0a4ac78b625cf8693f0f.jpg

The Original Off-Broadway version. I lucked out in seeing it

at the Orpheum in Dec.1982. And it was crazy-awesome!

I've recently been cast as Corny Collins in the spring production of Hairspray at the Woodford Theatre in Kentucky! I've always been a big fan of this show and role, so I'm incredibly excited to get started with rehearsals next month. If anyone's going to be in the area in May, let me know!

rsz_1hairspray_dan.jpg.b3a9912467c8ce7cd171182f9660f37c.jpg

I've recently been cast as Corny Collins in the spring production of Hairspray at the Woodford Theatre in Kentucky!

First off congrats on the role, but wow, the Woodford Theater, I haven't heard that name in a long time. I'm originally from Woodford County and have seen a few shows there when I lived there back in the day. I remember when that new facility first opened and I remember it being a fairly nice little theater for a being in a county recreation complex.

Also, random but I just looked at the Woodford Theater website and there are a lot of familiar names on the officers/board of directors list. Looks like my old neighbor is on the board of directors, never knew that growing up haha. Small world.

^^^ Yes, congrats on the role. They did "Hairspray" this past summer at our Theatre in The Park,

and it was a huge success. We enjoyed it very much. It may be repeated which is a new thing

for TITP. They did it with "Legally Blonde". Brought it back the following summer, and it was

still HUGE. So, channel your best Corny Collins alright?

And, besides this announcement, I just realized....

Sunday June 12th, for the annual TONY Awards for Broadway Theater in

New York, is also Opening Day of Shanghai Disneyland that same date!

Talk about interesting (to me) timing.

Thanks guys! The show will run the first three weekends in May, at 8pm on Fridays and Saturdays and 2pm on Sunday. The Woodford Theatre really is quite a gem in its central Kentucky location! You can get tickets on the theatre's website if you're interested. (But if you call to purchase tickets, you don't have to pay the online service charge.)

Some interesting and surprising news has appeared here in the UK. Bananaman, the hero with the strength of twenty men, and the brains of twenty mussels, is being turned into a musical. Its great to hear they are bringing a british hero to life, but I am still a bit irritated how no news what so ever has been released about the Bananaman movie which was meant to have been released last year. It hasn't been cancelled though, so that is some good news. If I remember correctly, more info about the musical is meant to be released on February 2nd. To those who don't know who Bananaman is, he is meant to be a hero who transforms from a boy called Eric Wimp after he eats a bananana. However, Bananaman isn't the brightest of heros. He is a parody of the superhero genre and also uses a lot of puns.

http://www.bananamanlive.com/

And here is one of the cartoon series episodes which aired sometime in the 1980s. And if you want, you can watch all the 5 minute episodes as they have been posted officially on youtube for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qA4Uu_m2Kc

I remember Bananaman! We had him in the states, but it was on usually really early or late on Nickelodeon along with Danger Mouse.

Our 2016-17 "Broadway Across Canada" subscription finally kicked in,

with the news of the three shows coming our way:

Newsies - Kinky Boots - Cinderella

And the add-on extra show of The Book of Mormon this August!

Just bought all the tickets so we are set for another year of tours.

I'm also shocked to find out this thing has been going for....18 years?

broadway16-17season.jpg.6e0c6d1861f8a930e9be0e013ddf5c04.jpg

Edited by Nrthwnd

Kinky Boots and Book of Mormon are so awesome! I enjoyed them both immensely! Newsies is also a good solid show as well. Can't speak for Cinderella, but I'm sure it is a first class touring group.

Going to see Matilda Sunday with tha fam. I'm told it's excellent, but have been warned by my Sister in Law that it is not "My" type of Broadway show.

^ I was actually 'kinda' hoping that Kinky Boots would be one in the list.

And now that Newsies is coming, I finally get to see what everybody I know

on this site, are raving about this show.

Cinderella is my "?" for this subscription of tours. Dirty Dancing was

like that for this past subscription we're finishing up - and it was

awesome! The intensity of the dancing was amazing. And good, too!

And The Book of Mormon is coming back in August, woo hoo! I will buy

tickets to this show, as often as it returns to Vancouver.

Hope you enjoy 'Matilda.'