TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

Sitting here waiting for the AntiVirus to finish searching for problems, I decided to listen to a few songs. My favourite came on and inspired this topic.

What are your favourite musicals? What do you want to see in the future?

My favourites include:

The Lion King (The intro nearly made me cry, it was fudging fantastic!)

We Will Rock You (I'm a big Queen fan and this was the perfect opportunity to sing along with the songs with loads of other fans/musical-goers)

Starlight Express (Saw this as a child with my parents and instantly loved it... Especially as the actors were on skates!)

and, finally

The Rocky Horror Picture Show. This is very self explanatory for those who have seen the DVD or video, but watching it live is a whole other experience. The costumes, songs, twists and dances were bloody brilliant and you HAVE to participate, no matter how skeptical you are!

I popped on this topic as I love musicals and its actually what I do as a career. Thought it might be interesting for you seeing as you mentioned it, I'm actually in Starlight Express and heres a couple picture of me playing Krupp for you

1624196_508759969262489_1024761581_n.thumb.jpg.053e488e1d64ef58dd2d1e3efdb23136.jpg

11041510_508760179262468_49004167_n.thumb.jpg.37a5508bf1b473c247f7267c5b8f7190.jpg

Tony & Olivier Winner Roger Rees, Who Last Appeared on Broadway in The Visit, Dead at 71

He left the company of The Visit, just before the TONYs, for taking care of a medical condition.

Sad to read he didn't make it.

I got to see him live in one of the (three?) parts of "Nicholas Nickleby" on Broadway. He was wonderful.

And was in a number of television series including Cheers, Warehouse 13, The West Wing, to name a few.

RIP RR

RogerRees.jpg.5938df8ed5616271242b496bcb64babc.jpg

TheVisit.jpg.7cb6d3a9cb6ec1e44252584a4e0de6e5.jpg

His last Broadway show. But, he's on the Cast Recording, so that's awesome!

In the Odds & Ends Dept. of http://www.Broadway.com ...

Sharknado Circles Broadway

Could a stage adaptation of cult TV disaster film Sharknado take a big bite out of Broadway? Its screenwriter Thunder Levin certainly hopes so. “I think it would be hilarious to do Sharknado: The Musical," he told the New York Daily News. "They could get some Broadway musical guys to write the songs and the music, but you’ve got to let me write the script. We could call it Sharknado: The Great White Way.” While you wait for some "Broadway musical guys" to get their teeth into the project, you can look forward to watching Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!, which premieres on the Syfy channel on July 22. Or something.

1.173919.jpg.12f58be10f3f81bd0341025e80039de7.jpg

And this would be one of the " aquatic dance numbers"...?

Maybe Julie Taymor should look at this. (o;

Just saw a video on http://www.Broadway.com about the upcoming City Encores production

(this weekend I believe) of Andrew Lippa's THE WILD PARTY...

..with Sutton Foster and Steven Pasquale in the leads.

So, I DO hope this run opens up possiblities of running it later, on Broadway?

TheWildParty2015-FosterPasquale.jpg.abc09a28571358ff52588ff85b8e2c26.jpg

I would KILL to see this City Encores production.

Sutton Foster (possible next TONY?) and Steven Pasquale (him too!) - amazing!

Last night was Opening Night, for Theatre In The Park's production of "Oliver!" (in rep with "Hairspray" through Aug.),

and there's also a Pre Show of a Village Fair that has games and souvenir "crowns" to buy, as well as the gp being allowed

onstage to see the sets up close, before the musical actually starts!

And I volunteered (not in the show itself) to play The Barker, who's sort of running everything before the main

show starts. So here I am, in my costume, ready to greet the audience, give out some free Crowns to the kids, and

make the audience's arrival a great experience, before seeing Oliver! (And totally depressing them, ha ha.)

And they FINALLY gave me a mic (remote) so that I didn't have to use that damned red plastic megaphone!

Which apparently didn't work at all, as one of the kids in the show told me, honestly. Gotta love kids for that, right?

IMG_7351.JPG.f8520ae4c2b11987226a27d780a6875a.JPG

In my duds, before "going on".

IMG_7352.JPG.15b7c718af81c9157f91165b0b84c229.JPG

"Ow are ya doin', luv?" And yes, that is all that's left of a Giant CEDAR TREE behind me!

IMG_7353.JPG.17099b05af9f8da10fc8f724a4aa306b.JPG

This is three layers of clothing, making those broad shoulders, there. Wish I had them for real, lol.

Ragtime Author E.L. Doctorow Dead at 84

Author E.L. Doctorow has died in New York aged 84 from complications of lung cancer, according to The Hollywood Reporter. He was most known for penning the novel Ragtime, which was published in 1975 and subsequently adapted into a film starring James Cagney and a stage musical. With a book by Terrence McNally, lyrics by Lynn Ahrens, and music by Stephen Flaherty, the original Broadway production opened on January 18, 1998, with a cast including Brian Stokes Mitchell, Marin Mazzie, Peter Friedman, Audra McDonald, Judy Kaye and Lea Michele. The musical won four Tonys: Best Featured Actress (McDonald, naturally), Original Score, Book and Orchestrations.

audramcdonald.jpg.afcbdc0e6d15ba53e09a9df147ec55b6.jpg

In RAGTIME, Audra McDonald won her

second (of now 6) TONY Award. (o:

Woo hoo! Both shows this summer got great reviews (Hairspray & Oliver!), but the one I particularly

like, is the little mention of our little pre-show Village Fair before Oliver! starts...

"Oliver! The Musical begins with a carnival and doesn't let up on the energy, until the evening is over."

- The Vancouver Sun

Although technically, it isn't a "carnival." But that's okay - good PR is PR.

http://www.tuts.ca

This is The Opening Nights' List I have, for musicals (so far) opening on Broadway

during the 2015-16 Season. In no particular order - rather listed as they were announced....

Hamilton - OPENED!

On Your Feet - Nov.05/15

The Color Purple ® - Dec.10/15

School of Rock - Dec.06/15

Amazing Grace - OPENED!

Tuck Everlasting - Apr.17/16

Allegiance - Nov.08/15

Fiddler On The Roof ® - Dec.17/15

Dames At Sea ® - Oct.22/15

Spring Awakening ® - Sept.27/15

She Loves Me ® - Mar.03/16

American Psycho - Mar.21/16

Shuffle Along - April 21, 2016 (w/Audra MacDonald!)

Waitress (w/Jesse Mueller) TBA

That's 14 announced so far, with two opened now. Whew!

Break-A-Leg to all! (Revised Aug.17/15)

Edited by Nrthwnd

Happy 40th Anniversary, "A Chorus Line"!

Forty years ago, ACL opened on Broadway, on today's date,

and eventually became the sixth longest running musical on Broadway.

(I had the joy of actually seeing the original cast, in March, 1976.)

AChorusLine40.jpg.d8df1208ce61829af36b4270d1570a6d.jpg

Photo thanks to www.Broadway.com

Edited by Nrthwnd

Saw The Lion King last night. Second time I've seen this show, first time was in Vegas. Neither time have I understood the hype. It's not a bad musical by any means, it just straddles a weird line between theme park pantomime and performance art. It didn't help that the sound mix (at least where we were sitting) was quite uneven, and some of the actors seemed to be rush through their lines, like they were being timed or something.

The puppetry is still very good, but overall this incarnation of the show just seemed to be getting a little dated - perhaps it's time for Disney to give the sets an update, maybe even use some mapped projections to flesh out the scenery.

• 2 weeks later...

^ We saw a second tour of The Lion King, back in June. And I agree with what you've posted.

The show we saw, was "fine, okay" but not as spectacular, the way the first tour we saw, seemed to be, I remember.

The leads were definitely unevenly miked. And the scrim coming down for the "dark parts" really took away

(for us) any real clear visibility of what was happening behind it. That also had to do with poor lighting in back.

And we were just nine rows away from the stage, too!

I still like the musical, but until I see it on Broadway (whenever that possibly happens), twice was enough for the tours.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought these two cast albums, through Amazon.UK - and fascinated , having seen both movies of course, wondering

how these two could be musical-worthy. "Bodyguard" I Could say 'yes', but "Beckham"?

I shall find out, near the end of September. (delivery time period)

BendItLikeBechamUK2015.jpg.130f46a45aeeaa6ece98f7f01d383726.jpg

I suspect some Bollywood music will creep into this one. (o;

TheBodyguardUK2015.jpg.8e73e368e410a74abb92785a8e4ff255.jpg

Original score too - besides the 'known single.'

Edited by Nrthwnd

• 1 month later...

This year we got amazing seats! Only took us about 7 years, but we are in the second row, dead center! Our lineup for this year is:

Annie

Ragtime

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Million Dollar Quartet

Book of Mormon

Seems like it will be another great year!

This year we got amazing seats! Only took us about 7 years, but we are in the second row, dead center! Our lineup for this year is:

Annie

Ragtime

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Million Dollar Quartet

Book of Mormon

Seems like it will be another great year!

I managed to sneak off and see Book of Mormon when I took my wife's family to London this summer. I also saw Phantom of the Opera with her as well and I think it's her new favorite musical. We'd seen it in Korea but was so different seeing it on a permanent stage made for the phantoms theatrics.

The touring productions that come to Korea are all very very good, the lighthearted ones we saw like Avenue Q & Rock of Ages really seem the same from when I'd seen them before but Phantom was something else seeing it on that stage. Book of Mormon looked quite similar in that there weren't really that many effects that can't travel with the show.

It was weird being back at a UK production after so long in Asia,I'd forgotten how different people react at the end. At most of the Korean shows I've seen, people tend to go crazy at the curtain bow and are straight on their feet and quite a few productions allow photos during that time here as well. Here every-one clapped and only when the phantom came out did people get to their feet. There were a lot of Chinese tourists in the front who were getting told off for pulling out cameras at that point as well, different theater culture for them I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Just released, and I'm calling this the

Best - Cast Recording Cover - Ever

I mean.... 88.4% ? That's almost like IVORY Soap being 99-1/100ths % Pure.

Cool!

CryBabytheMusical.jpg.87ccc412965e351bad2c39d31a1294e5.jpg

Pardon the BIGness of the image. I couldn't downsize it, for some reason.

^ April 24, 2008!

Closed June 22, 2008.

68 performances.

And it had one of my all-time fave comedic actresses,

Harriet Harris (remember her as Frasier's crazy agent, Bebe?), in it too.

She was just on Broadway, in "It Shoulda Been You," playing the mother of the

groom, in a one-act musical directed by David Hyde Pierce! Closed now.

HarrietHarrisMillie.jpg.4923fd7427a9a743a5b470adbcfc9343.jpg

...And her TONY-winning role in Thoroughly Modern Millie, 2002. Mrs. Mears.

Edited by Nrthwnd

On the topic of Cry Baby, it may be coming to a community theatre near you. A few months ago (May I think), the local theater here in Melbourne (FL) was the location for the Community Theatre Premiere. I haven't heard anything more about it being licensed in other places though.

So for those that enjoy seeing community theatre, or even being a part of the show, Cry Baby may become an option in the future.

Newslink: http://www.floridatoday.com/story/entertainment/2015/05/13/tears-joy-henegar-first-community-theater-stage-cry-baby/27224097/

• 1 month later...