TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

^ We lucked out in 1979(!), and got front row seats for the original Sweeney: Lansbury, Cariou and everybody else in it. It blew my partner's mind as his first real Broadway Musical Experience (I had been there in '76 and saw Chorus Line, Chicago, etc.), and today it's still his absolute favourite musical of all time.

And then I topped myself, by seeing a newly opened musical - before it won the following year's TONY -

EVITA w/Patti LuPone in it and Mandy Patinkin as well. All original cast.

And Sandy Duncan as Peter Pan! A great fall year to visit Broadway.

Our sound system has been pretty crappy, up to this point in time.

Now we have direct connection into the television system, for some really awesome

playback for CDs etc. So I am finally starting to "catch up" with the past 2013-2014

Broadway season's offerings in cd format.

And I start with FIRST DATE, a great musical, (so I read) that didn't hold on,

well past the TONY Awards Nominations deadline. Awwwwww......

FirstDate2013.jpg.b64d3a4f29e4d215eedfafc746f48ebd.jpg

Here we go. And there's Chuck! (o:

• 2 weeks later...

^ We're seeing Flashdance on Nov.12th in Vancouver! And for the first time I can ever

remember, I am totally unknown to this stage version of the film! I knew the musical

existed, in a couple of productions. But nothing ever got to Broadway that I remember,

so it's been an interesting journey for this musical, yes?

This is a Great Musical First for me.

I am very much looking forward to it.

And I do hope it's a great production, too!

Looking forward to the water, LOL!

632601193_FlashDanceQET2015jpg.jpg.48b307e746c7aeadbf04b18c1336d910.jpg

So Once has opened in Melbourne, saw it on the weekend. Excellent show with a fantastic cast, definitely deserving of its accolades. Always enjoy a story that doesn't take a predictable path, although the lead girl is kind of irritating. A couple of memorable tunes in there too. And as a fun bonus, you can go buy a drink from the bar on stage during the interval!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ Good. We're looking forward to seeing it, next week.

Question to all: Do you think there will ever be a revival of "The Producers"?

And who would play the two leads, now? I'm just curious. It's such a great

musical, and we saw a wonderful tour of it, several years ago.

Saw a production of The Addams Family Musical at a local community theatre. Really great show for a local theatre. For anyone that has seen the show before, I appreciate the fact that there are times during the show that allow the actors some creative license.

• 3 weeks later...

John Cameron Mitchell is coming back as The Original HEDWIG in January!

Damn, I wish I had tix to see him in it. Maybe they'll make a special cast cd.

Hedwig01.jpg.67f0dfc4da638a2d4a59946aff99c526.jpg

Loved him in the movie and on the original off-Brdwy cast cd.

^

On a side note, I just got a ticket to what's become an annual production

of a local prof. company's version of Mary Poppins. I saw the original in London,

just vefore starting the first ever TPR UK Tour back in 2006! Very much looking

forward to this production in mid-December.

Hedwig is one show that I am hoping will tour. The last time I was working in NY it was sold out. They did have stand-by, but you had to be there 2 hours before the show, and it was freezing cold. Would have loved to see NPH live though. Looking back in retrospect, I should have waited. Damn the cold!

^ I wished they had filmed it with NPH, for commercial release like "Memphis" or "Shrek."

They could still do that, since it's not a huge cast or band, lol.

But there's still always the movie of it.

Saw Hunchback Of Norte Dame at La Jolla playhouse on Friday night, loosely based on the Disney cartoon of the same name, this is a darker version and the Disney name is nowhere to be found in the title. It uses all the main songs from the film.

I have been waiting to see this since the 1999 Berlin production opened ( The german cast recording is a favorite ), This was without a doubt one of my favorite nights in theatre, The show is brilliant, heartstopping, heartbreaking, breath taking musical theatre heaven, its dark, no happy endings here, nearly everything works. Act two needs a little more focus, but thats something I hope they fix before it opens at Papermill next year.

if the producers ( Disney and others ) play this right this should be up there with Les Mis, Lion King and other mega hit shows.

Its been said before, but if you are in SoCal beg, borrow or steal a ticket, you will never forgive yourself if you miss this.

Saw Hunchback Of Norte Dame at La Jolla playhouse on Friday night, loosely based on the Disney cartoon of the same name, this is a darker version and the Disney name is nowhere to be found in the title. It uses all the main songs from the film.

I have been waiting to see this since the 1999 Berlin production opened ( The german cast recording is a favorite ), This was without a doubt one of my favorite nights in theatre, The show is brilliant, heartstopping, heartbreaking, breath taking musical theatre heaven, its dark, no happy endings here, nearly everything works. Act two needs a little more focus, but thats something I hope they fix before it opens at Papermill next year.

if the producers ( Disney and others ) play this right this should be up there with Les Mis, Lion King and other mega hit shows.

Its been said before, but if you are in SoCal beg, borrow or steal a ticket, you will never forgive yourself if you miss this.

Was "Hellfire" as epic as I'm imagining it would be?

This is just something I see, but it seems like if you want to get a good advance look

at a promising (possible) pre-Broadway musical, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago,

and Toronto are good ones to check out from time to time.

Along with great reviews like yours, Ross.