TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

^ Hope you enjoy it.

Am looking forward to what Disney does with this adaptation

from animated film to live on stage.

And I know not everybody's interested in this - but I am, and I would have

kept watching SMASH if they were allowed to keep going. Not to mention the

boost to Broadway the series gave, through it's two seasons.

That said...available August 6 at Amazon.com...

1666966585_ResizeofSmash2DVD.jpg.dc021dd5141c32bdc9c31bc0b2834303.jpg

It's all here, including that gorgeous song (Episode 3 - The Song) Jennifer Hudson sang at the end of her "One Night Only" concert on the show.

Edited by Nrthwnd

I Love Lucy is coming to Toronto as well; there was a little blurb about it in the programme for Book of Mormon. From what I read, the audience is the live studio audience during the filming of two I Love Lucy episodes and everything that goes on backstage.

Never been a fan of the show, so it's a pass for me.

After seeing Book of Mormon yesterday, it is now easily in the number 1 spot for the musicals I have seen. The songs were amazing and I could not stop laughing. My girlfriend and I were singing "Hello" all night. I would have gladly paid more than what I did for this play and I really hope it comes back to Toronto so I can take my parents to see it.

Also, have to love the actual Book of Mormon advertisements in the programme for the play; thought it was a smart move by the church.

^Mormon is great, even better than I'd expected.

World premiere of King Kong is in Melbourne next week, apparently if it works it'll go straight to Broadway. Kong is part puppet, part animatronic (made by the same team who did the Walking With Dinosaurs arena show). They had to gut the theatre to get all of the equipment in so if nothing else at least it will be a spectacle. And better than the 2005 film...

And for those who need reminding....

TonyTonyTonyTonyTony...

This Sunday evening (8pmE/P-7pmCen) on CBS, with Neil Patrick Harris hosting.

Root for your fave. In any and every category!

And go to http://www.Broadway.com and print up TONY Bingo sheets! Much fun.

TONYbingo2013.jpg.1c9ff599f07f01380d7d6c0971375a58.jpg

An example of one of the bingo sheets. (o:

• 3 weeks later...

The best musical's i've seen IMO would have been Wicked and Legally Blonde.

You really don't think that the Legally Blonde movie would convert well into a musical but it was really done incredibly well. It was witty, clever and the songs are just too addictive. And if anyone can dance to the opening number of act 2 (Whipped into Shape) with a jump rope that damn well... they deserve all the praise they can get.

Saturday Night Fever wasn't too bad either, looking forward to seeing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when it comes here at the end of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently played the role of Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast for this community theatre program. The candles were heavy but so fun to use during the show. And the costumes were incredible! We didn't rent anything, our costume designers made over 400 costumes. It was a pleasure playing the role. I think this show went up to being my 4th favorite musical.

1045096_10200852413025254_1596198028_n.jpg.cc1b2e48cebf7a8b3bef99ee83f8f5dd.jpg

Dress Rehearsal

1016521_10200852536508341_785405374_n.jpg.473a2febd554698f6e65bbb95b7f57f1.jpg

After show with Cogsworth without his clock, Belle, and myself.

994775_10200852536548342_879851271_n.thumb.jpg.95036ad27cd515499e9a03bed2caa577.jpg

Cogsworth (Without his Clock) , Human Potts (Potts without her Snorkel), and myself.

^ omg those candles on your arms look HUGE, lol!

Was it hard to work with them?

Good show for you, in doing so.

At first, yeah they were pretty hard! I have spaghetti arms so I was happy I was able to get through the 6 shows we did. Inside the candles are just little light switches but it was hard turning it on and off because I had to hold on to a small metal bar inside. It was really fun though!

Finally say The Book of Mormon last night. I've been wanting to see this since the project was first announced and the excitement of actually seeing it last night made me more giddy than I care to admit. Going into the show I only knew that it was a musical by the South Park guys, and that it was about Mormon's. Being raised Mormon the jokes and history was familiar and made a lot of sense to me more so than my friend with me. "Hello" was such a great start to the show, being raised with missionaries coming over for dinner and now laughing at a production about them was just well priceless . The show exceeded all my expectations and had me laughing the whole time. Highly suggest it to those who are and aren't musical fans for a good production that will make you laugh and ends with a positive message. Just like a South Park episode.

Also really found it interesting the actual Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints advertised in the program.

PS - I will always call Orlando "Planet Orlando" from now on.

Saw King Kong in Melbourne last week. As a musical it was serviceable but nothing outstanding (probably would work better as a 'play with a few songs'). As an overall production it was spectacular! Huge 270 degree LED screen as a set backdrop, 25-foot tall gorilla with absolutely lifelike expressions and movements, just incredible. The build up to the first reveal of Kong is definitely going down as one of my most memorable moments in theatre. A close second would be when this huge puppet (combo of animatronics and puppeteers) climbs the Empire State.

The show was done by the same team who put together the Walking With Dinosaurs and How to Train Your Dragon arena shows, but this was a whole new level of cool. I know their ambition is to take it to Broadway and I think with a little work on the script and songs they will definitely have a hit!

• 2 months later...

"Why Can't I?" sung by Carolee Carmello

Am starting to finally listen to the cd cast recording of "Scandalous"

the Aimee Semple musical, penned by....Kathie Lee Gifford??!

Did anybody see this musical, in it's short life, last season? (curious)

What did you think of it? And her?

Scandalous2012.jpg.aac5af180b224f7eec494ae7866acf8e.jpg

Carolee Carmela apparently really carried the

show. Definitely worth the TONY nomination, I heard.

• 3 weeks later...
Finally say The Book of Mormon last night. I've been wanting to see this since the project was first announced and the excitement of actually seeing it last night made me more giddy than I care to admit. Going into the show I only knew that it was a musical by the South Park guys, and that it was about Mormon's. Being raised Mormon the jokes and history was familiar and made a lot of sense to me more so than my friend with me. "Hello" was such a great start to the show, being raised with missionaries coming over for dinner and now laughing at a production about them was just well priceless . The show exceeded all my expectations and had me laughing the whole time. Highly suggest it to those who are and aren't musical fans for a good production that will make you laugh and ends with a positive message. Just like a South Park episode.

Also really found it interesting the actual Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints advertised in the program.

PS - I will always call Orlando "Planet Orlando" from now on.

Haha I call Orlando Planet Orlando now too! I saw Book of Mormon in New York earlier this year and Ive tickets for Orlando again the first weekend in November, can't wait! Your review was spot on, I also think it's a great musical for "non-musical" fans. I kind of feel like a adult version of a Disney musical movie, very easy to get wrapped up in and totally enjoy. I can't wait to see it again!

This DVD and BLue Ray is going to be released through

Amazon.com and I love it that a few musicals we

actually get to see it in the actual Broadway version

(usually). I treasure these DVDs and (still) VHS tapes

of such performances. Especially the Sondheim ones.

So - can't wait for this one. Am a real Sutton Foster

fan-from-a-far, heh. Hoped they would tape "Anything

Goes" too. But then, who knows? This closed in

January, 2010. Nearly 4 years later, for this to appear.

So - anything future is .... possible.

462213678_ResizeofShrekTheMusical03.jpg.7aa81be8be522056bde19c612ec47ac8.jpg

Amazon.UK is also releasing it, in their DVDs format. Cover looks cooler, IMhO.

My high school theatre teacher/director is playing Frankenfurter in a production of The Rocky Horror Show this month, and posted this picture to Facebook. He's been doing this for years, and playing that role is one of his favorite things in the world... but I have to say, it's a little weird to see an old teacher in drag, haha.

Regardless, I'm seeing it for sure.

Finally saw the Blu Ray of the Jesus Christ Superstar Arena Tour they've been doing in the U.K.. It's absolutely fantastic. Probably the best "production" I've seen of JCS even though I've certainly seen the show with better a better Jesus. Don't really care for Ben Foster when he goes into the falsetto (especially on Gethsemane). It just sounds fake.

Other than that I thought it was great and I'd really like to see them bring this production to the U.S..

This DVD and BLue Ray is going to be released through

Amazon.com and I love it that a few musicals we

actually get to see it in the actual Broadway version

(usually). I treasure these DVDs and (still) VHS tapes

of such performances. Especially the Sondheim ones.

So - can't wait for this one. Am a real Sutton Foster

fan-from-a-far, heh. Hoped they would tape "Anything

Goes" too. But then, who knows? This closed in

January, 2010. Nearly 4 years later, for this to appear.

So - anything future is .... possible.

I LOVE Shrek! The music is so incredibly catchy! If I listen to it I end up singing the songs for days. And, of course, Sutton Foster is A-MAZING.

^ eep.

On another note, I just got my DVD copy of the filmed production of SHREK: The Musical.

And it's woooonderful! With the original cast and all the magic of a Broadway show onstage.

Which makes me wonder why more shows don't do this. I understand the production costs

would be hefty (SHREK used ten cameras, I read somewhere!), but still. I would kill to have

a complete taping of Kinky Boots, or even the original cast of The Producers, back in 2001.

Maybe as an "extra perk" of winning The TONY for Best Musical, the show in question would

be also taped for posterity, with it's original cast.

Just a thought on that.

Saw the touring production of Book of Mormon in Orlando yesterday and it was just absolutely fantastic. I saw it on Broadway in February and the touring production still blew me away. This cast was seriously amazing.

There is just so much that I love about this show I don't know where to start but find a way to see it if you have a chance! So so so much fun!

^ After finally getting the libretto/book to go along with the score (cd) of Mormon, I

wouldn't be surprised if this musical could/would work on the local professional level -

i.e.local company producing it. It's a no-star show that has easily one of the best written

books in musicals history. So, I am not too "put out" about any tour of Mormon NOT coming

to Vancouver, lol. Eventually, we'll get an awesome production of it. But still...the waiting.