TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

Got my tickets to see Book of Mormon the other day.

It was probably the hardest thing I've ever got tickets for (and I've got tickets to some pretty high profile concerts). The link for tickets didn't go up at the time specified; the site would not load from the number of people trying, and the phones wouldn't even connect. I only ended up getting my tickets by changing the url for ticket orders of another show to what I guessed it would be for Book of Mormon and ended up getting in. After that it was trying to find a showing that had seats left since by that time most were already sold out of the 'cheaper' seats.

They are being very strict with the tickets as well. Only 8 per person for the entire run; they said they're checking orders by name, e-mail, credit card used, billing address, and IP address; any one attempting to order more than 8 will have all their tickets cancelled and refunded without notice. They're also only selling tickets to residents of Canada, anyone with a billing address outside of Canada will not get their order processed.

Either way; I got my 3 tickets and can't wait to go see it. Hopefully getting Aladdin tickets won't be as difficult.

^Yeah, it's such a hot show right now that they are being very strict on the ticket distribution which is good I guess. When I picked up my ticket in New York at the box office after I ordered over the phone via telecharge they wanted to see my ID, confirmation number, and the credit card I purchased with ticket with. I've never been asked to show all three of those for a ticket at will call before, maybe one if any but never all 3.

It's an awesome show, have fun!

^ Rent the movie that the musical is based on.

It's really good, IMhO.

heh. .it's so good, because they got almost the entire original Broadway Cast back (only ones not in the original cast were Mimi & Joanne).

so yeah. .

my answer is "Rent". . seen it dozens of times, own the soundtrack, own the DVDs (both of the film and the final Bway show), and . . yeah

EDIT. . LOL, just realized you were telling him to "Rent Billy Elliot". . .not the film version of "RENT"

I'm dumb sometimes. . LOL

When I picked up my ticket in New York at the box office after I ordered over the phone via telecharge they wanted to see my ID, confirmation number, and the credit card I purchased with ticket with. I've never been asked to show all three of those for a ticket at will call before, maybe one if any but never all 3.

Uh-oh. The card I bought my Book of Mormon tickets with disappeared when my wallet was stolen so I don't have it anymore.

Hopefully ID and confirmation e-mail will be enough to get them to hand my ticket over. I might turn up at the box office a bit early just in case there are any dramas.

My upcoming week in New York is quickly becoming a 'see as many Broadway shows as possible with a bit of sightseeing in-between' affair. Looking forward to seeing some variety - after a few flops the Australian producers are playing it pretty safe at the moment, plenty of crowd-pleasing return seasons playing but not a lot of the newer stuff.

Well, our original weekend in NYC to celebrate my wife's 30th birthday was postponed due to the blizzard that came up the coast in February. Much to my surprise, we were able to at least exchange our show tickets for a new date - thank you Disney!!

Our new trip date finally arrived this past weekend - we had a BLAST!! It was just for the weekend, but we did a ton, including having my first experience of Lombardi's pizza! But on to what this thread is about - we went to see "Newsies" last Sunday! I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by that show!! Everything about it was phenomenal. The songs were great, the dancing was spectacular, and the story for the theater production was extremely good as well. My wife and I would both HIGHLY recommend "Newsies" to anyone visiting NYC. Robb and Elissa were right on with that one!

Been so so long since I've gotten to see another actual on/off-Broadway musical.

Been ages. Last ones I think I saw were in late 1992! Nine, Dreamgirls, Little Shop of..

Cloud 9, all original casts too....

Good to hear that ^ things worked out for you and your wife!

^^ Hoping to get back to NYC to see Newsies again in a few months. Even KidTums says she wants to see it!

On a different note, it still catches me off guard every time I was the Les Mis movie when One Day More ends and the show keeps going on!

^I'll definitely be checking out Newsies when I'm in NY in a couple of months. Looks great!

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is playing down here at the moment, I had heard mixed reviews but ended up really enjoying it, probably more so than I did Mary Poppins. Anyone who's seen the film will know the songs, but it was the car that was the highlight. Whatever machinery they had to move it was completely hidden due to well-positioned lighting, so it actually looked like it was flying. Not just up and down, either - it was going in all directions, very impressive!

Ahh, there are so many that I love! To name a few: Wicked, Les Mis, Phantom, Bye Bye Birdie (I was in a local production of this one - SO much fun!), Notre Dame de Paris (French musical), Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, etc. I'm super stocked that Disney announced that they are revamping their German Broadway version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame into an American one, which will be coming to New York...hopefully in the next 5 years or so. There's also this musical theatre group based in LA called Vox Lumiere that I absolutley love. They take old silent movies and turn them into rock musicals. They have a very egdy Victorian, Steampunk style and they incorperate all different types of music into one multi-media production. I've seen one of their shows live, which was phenomial!

Peter Pan Mary Martin

Annie Lilla Crawford

Lion King saw 2 times in SF

Annie Get Your Gun Mary Martin

Wicked saw in SF

South Pacific Mary Martin

Sound Of Music movie Julie Andrews

Wizard Of Oz movie Judy Garland

Disney Annie movie Alicia Morton

Annie 1982 movie Aileen Quinn

Bye Bye Birdie

I've also liked the Mary-Kate and Ashley musical Adventure & Party series in the past but not so much today. I'll watch them if I'm real bored.

With zero knowledge of the show beforehand, I caught My Fair Lady at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival with my school on Thursday.

In terms of the performance, it was easily the most impressive musical theatre performance I've ever seen. Every single actor was at the top of his/her game with acting, singing, and dancing, and there were many times where the pure joy on their faces was just magical. This version of the musical had every actor onstage for most of the show in a set of bleachers, drinking water, changing costumes, reacting to the events in front of them, and generally acting like a Greek chorus, which in my opinion worked really well. And the song "Get Me to the Church On Time" was turned into an Irish stomp dance with the pianos cut out, and just the stomps and chants of the actors driving the song... it was perfect. My favorite onstage moment I've ever witnessed in the four years I've been into theatre.

It's a shame I really didn't like the show itself. I dunno, I just couldn't get into the story. None of the characters seemed very relatable early on, and because of that, I just didn't really care about anybody. This is pretty much a personal issue, though, so if you already know and love My Fair Lady, you can completely ignore my complaints here.

If there's any chance at all you could make it out to Ashland, Oregon before the season ends in October or November, and fancy My Fair Lady, by all means do it. And see King Lear while you're at it, it's PHENOMENAL!

Just saw the most disappointing version of Beauty and the Beast by a national touring company when it came through Sacramento. While I have enjoyed this show in the past, this company made the first act so slapstick that it was almost unbearable. I was very very let down.

I wonder if that is the same touring company I saw a few years back. I hated the show. The local productions were better. :/

Book of Mormon is coming here next year!!

Edited by Moose

• 2 weeks later...

Saw our first touring company of Billy Elliot last night.

Excellent production. I was exhausted watching how much dance and 'emotion' the actor playing Billy

had to do and go through. No wonder they need three or more boys to do the role, lol!

There were a number of minor roles changed last night, which made me wonder if that is why some of

the pacing of the libretto was sometimes way - too - long in timing etc. But really, a minor critique.

The audience was with the show all the way, and were so spontaneaous in reaction and applause, it

was wonderful to be in the middle of the intensity of it all.

The production did not disappoint. I would see it again if it again came through these parts.

Just saw Shrek the Muscial last night. I really wasn't expecting it to be very good, but it actually was! Some of the best vocal performances we've had in Reno for quite a while. It was just like the movie, including some of the jokes, but it was still a lot of fun. The best was King Farquaad. He did an really great job! I'm definitely glad I saw it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone still watching Smash? The musical numbers are great but the plot is just getting more ridiculous each week. Bombshell looks like a half-decent show though, makes me wonder if some enterprising producer will try to pick it up for real.

Also, just noticed it's only a month until I get to see Newsies - very excited for this one!

^ Yes I am - I still watch it, and still enjoy it!

As for the plot - it's show biz - stuff happens.

Some times extreeeemely dramatic, too.

Been there. Seen it happen up close. Can be nasty.

And Ivy finally got to sing "Don't Forget Me" - and it was awesome!

If they actually decide to do it on Broadway, my suggestion is this -

do it like "Sideshow" but have the two actresses play one icon - Marilyn Monroe!

• 2 weeks later...

...And after watching tonight's episode of "Smash"...

"Hit List" is the "RENT" of SMASH

And yes, we still enjoy watching it every Sat.night.

I went to see Les Mis in London's West End this past Monday. Although the show was very good, I was a bit disappointed by Jean Valjean and Eponine's performances. Valjean was played by the understudy and I don't think his voice was powerful enough for the part. When he sang high notes, his voice completely changed (not as much volume and a bit nasal). I saw a high school production of the show last month, and I think the 17 year old playing Valjean in that was actually better. And Danielle Hope plays Eponine as kind of angry and frantic, where I see her as more frustrated and sad. It was the first time that I could see why Marius wasn't really interested in her...she seemed crazy. And I really don't like the way she delivers her "I've only been pre-ten-ding" part in On My Own.

Other than that, Fantine, Javert, Marius and the rest of the characters were excellent and the sets were amazing.

^ It happens with musicals and plays, without warning.

I have had understudys appear in many of the Broadway shows

I saw in the 1970's and 1980s, like Chorus Line, Chicago, Nine, 42nd Street...

And definitely a few of them were way better than I thought they would be.

And others were fine. Not amazing "OMG I didn't expect this". But good.

• 2 weeks later...

Available July 9th - the new cast cd of PIPPIN!

I got to see the original Broadway production of it, in March 1976.

Several cast changes by then , but it was still a great production.

Wish I could see this now, but the cd will have to do, lol.

Pippin2013.jpg.c3ad650058c45483c8f6ae3dce30e48f.jpg

Looking forward to hearing Andrea Martin's take (as Berthe) on "No Time At All".

Edited by Nrthwnd

I've been taking advantage of my week in New York to see as many shows as possible - the productions back home are professional but we don't have the same touring circuit that exists in the US, so there's not always a lot to choose from. Anyway so far I've seen four shows, all excellent in their own way:

Peter and the Star Catcher - very clever play, and some hilarious songs and dialogue. Fun prequel to the sometimes sterile Peter Pan tale.

Lucky Guy - I'll admit to seeing this because it had Tom Hanks, and I wanted to see a show with a big-name celebrity. But it's still an excellent piece, and a great tale of how skill and luck can combine to create success, and vice versa.

Book of Mormon - not over-hyped. Best musical of the past 20 years? Probably. Also the most money I've ever paid to see a show (and it was a bargain).

Newsies - great show. Superb choreography and set design. Good to see Disney do something that doesn't draw on an established big-name franchise for a change.

• 2 weeks later...