TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

I've never acted on stage. I was usually a prop runner, asm or stage manager. I haven't found a theatre to work at here though. In Texas I was an intern for the community theatre. I built and painted the sets. I really miss it.

You should try being on stage at least once! I've worked all aspects from props to stage manager, lights, mics, costumes, etc. But I love being on stage the most. I was super shy all through school, so my senior year my choir director talked me into auditioning for a musical, and theatre became my outlet to open up and I never looked back. I was hooked.

I've never acted on stage. I was usually a prop runner, asm or stage manager. I haven't found a theatre to work at here though. In Texas I was an intern for the community theatre. I built and painted the sets. I really miss it.

You should try being on stage at least once! I've worked all aspects from props to stage manager, lights, mics, costumes, etc. But I love being on stage the most. I was super shy all through school, so my senior year my choir director talked me into auditioning for a musical, and theatre became my outlet to open up and I never looked back. I was hooked.

I tried out for one musical and I didn't get the part. So I stuck to what I do best, make the show run.

It will be a very limited engagement. Febuary 2-18 in Nashville, Tennessee.

Merde! - and Break Lots of Legs

to you, your castmates & crew!

"Welcome to Kana-gawa.

Music and food and company.

Music and food and - for a fee:

Welcome..."

It will be a very limited engagement. Febuary 2-18 in Nashville, Tennessee.

Merde! - and Break Lots of Legs

to you, your castmates & crew!

"Welcome to Kana-gawa.

Music and food and company.

Music and food and - for a fee:

Welcome..."

Thank you so much! Cannot wait to dig into that challenging score!

• 3 weeks later...
^ How are rehearsals going?

For the February Opening?

It's going well!! As expected the score is incredibly challenging and there is also the challenge of doing a show that is specifically about the Japanese culture. You want to do it justice and at the same time you don't want to stray into that realm of sterotypes or characature. It's a delicate balance.

We've yet to do a cohesive run...that happens this weekend. It'll be interresting to see how the entire peice flows and fits together.

A "little" Phantom story for the Phantom fans out there, which was in a way inspired after all the Orlando Les Mis excitement over the past few days.

I remember the only reason I actually went to see a musical was to see how they did stuff on stage, being a major tech geek. Maybe that's why I love flat rides so much, leading to this theme park obsession? Since Phantom was marketed by Cineplex, who owned the Pantages, it was marketed like a huge summer Hollywood blockbuster and everyone and anyone saw it as a result, for various reasons, through its 10 year run in Toronto. It was the first musical I ever saw for that reason after the folks said we're having a night out in the city one cold winter night in 1989.

The show itself kinda put me, my sister and the folks to sleep in all honesty when nothing but singing was going on. But, what made me appreciate a musical beyond the the tech and cool stuff was an actor/ singer's ability to wake you up whenever on stage and instantly give you goose bumps. In Phantom's case, it was Colm Wilkinson, fresh off of Les Mis' London and Broadway productions. He'd finish up a song and the whole audience was just "wowed". I saw it more than once and checked out Les Mis because of that. Paul Stanley from Kiss taking over when Colm left kept ticket sales going and actually worked out. Who would have thought? Then, the producers were convicted of the biggest accounting fraud in Canadian business history and all of their shows closed. Many would interpret that as a happy ending I think?

Because Phantom was a marketing machine, they even had an educational program to help fill Wednesday matinee seats. My second time seeing it was for this "Phantom Educational Experience" on a grade 7 field trip. It involved a film about musical theatre and Phantom in the AM, a Q&A with some of the actors, then the show itself. It was bizarre because our teachers told us to get all dressed up and then we rode the yellow cheese wagon into the city. Meanwhile, all the retirees from up-state New York, Rochester and Buffalo got nice coach busses. Consider it like a TPR Bash event for musical theatre.

For all the tech, theater and Phantom geeks, I came across that "Educational Video", promo and documentary that us elementary kids at the time, had to watch.

Part 1 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5kN5cTc6NQ

Here's an example of some of the at times over-the-top promo work and its results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Dm5XFekXY

Finally, you couldn't have a mega marketing machine and build hype without..the documentary (Part 1 of 7)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVoaExWJbzo

• 3 weeks later...

^ Damn I hope they got good air conditioning

in the theatre they're doing the production.

Time of year and all, in Palm Springs.

(the period costumes for Night Music - um... uncomfy?)

The folks got the family tickets for the In the Heights Touring show for this afternoon. I saw this in New York in '08 and was really good but I could tell without those actors, it may not be as good. Now, we found out through the papers and reviews that this is a Non-Equity show? Does anyone know what this means exactly? The newspapers have basically explained it as saying that the producers have cheaped out and have not hired professional actors and supporting crew, that are part of the actor's union in Canada and the US. It's gotten slammed critically so far...not sure what to expect. Kind of just want to stay home haha

If this is the case, not sure why they are charging full price for non-professional talent? The thing is, the producer didn't make anyone aware that it was a non-equity show, they just say people buying tickets would know. Uhm..no, we were never aware.

I remember it was a big deal when Blue Man Group came as a non-union show since it wasn't touring and they renovated a theatre for it for a long run. It shut down after a few months since no one went. Not sure if the quality had anything got do with it though.

Not sure if I ever posted in this thread:

Seen and Loved:

Jesus Christ Superstar (my absolute favorite, saw this with the original cast on what (I think) was the 25th anniversary. Amazing)

Fiddler on the Roof (Saw this with Topol a few years back. Also amazing)

Into the Woods (Saw this with Bernadette Peters, amazeballs)

Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Forum

Damn Yankees

Wicked (I also don't like Wizard of Oz, but LOVED Wicked)

Phantom of the Opera

A Chorus Line

Sunset Blvd

Little Shop of Horrors

Godspell

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

42nd Street

The Music Man

My Fair Lady

Sweeney Todd

On my list of "Must Sees"

Les Miserables (still can't believe I've never seen this ... it's a travesty I tell you)

Book of Mormon (so glad it's coming out on Tour)

Mary Poppins

Hairspray

Mamma Mia (Just because the movie is really a guilty pleasure)

Avenue Q

The Lion King

Beauty and the Beast

Ones I've seen and just "kind of" liked

Oklahoma!

Showboat

Ones I have no interest in

Cats

Jersey Boys

Ones I've been in

Sound of Music

Into the Woods

Damn Yankees

JC Superstar

Not remembering if I posted in here before;

I recently saw Mary Poppins and American Idiot while they were both in Toronto. Both were very good in their own ways (you can't really compare Mary Poppins to American Idiot). I absolutely loved the music in AI and Mary Poppins brought back memories of watching the movie when I was a kid.

I now also just bought first row centre balcony tickets for Beauty and the Beast for it's run in Toronto.

Book of Mormon has also been annnounced in the 2013 line-up of shows, so I will be seeing that one for sure.

Other shows I've seen:

Phantom

Joseph (with Donny Osmond)

Tommy

Rock of Ages

Wicked

Jersey Boys

Lion King

Spamalot

...and probably some more I can't remember

I was in to see "La Cage Aux Folles" at the Kennedy Center about 2 weeks ago (the touring company). I have to say: It Was OUTSTANDING. I'd highly encourage you to go see it if the tour is coming your way. I know they just struck here, headed to Fla and then westerly within the south, but I'm pretty sure they're back to Fla. in the early to mid-summer.

And I'm still humming/singing the songs.

I went to new York in January and saw Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark and Memphis. Spider man wasn't as bad as I was expecting, really a fun show, not great not terrible, but a lot of fun. The sets were really cool, and there were a few really good memorable songs, but other then those songs and when they weren't flying around the theater it got a little slow. Had a fantastic ending though, and was all in all a pretty fun show.

Memphis was incredible, seriously one of the best shows I've seen in a long time and probably somewhere in my top 5 favorites. I can't say enough good things about Memphis, if it comes near you go see it.

I haven't had a chance to see it yet but I LOVE the soundtrack from the Book of Mormon. It's seriously one of the funniest things I've ever heard. As soon as that thing goes on tour anywhere near me I'm buying the best seats available. It's brilliant!

^ I giggled when I recently saw at Amazon.com that they've now put a "Parental Advisory Warning" on the cover of The Book Of Mormon cd.

So I guess my original copy is now kinda rare, since it didn't have that warning on it when it was first released, hee hee.

(And I was soooooo *shocked* and had absolutely no idea, when I bought it... )

By the way Hilltopper39, if you haven't gotten a copy of the actual libretto of the show (thru Amazon), it's just as brilliantly funny (IMhO)

as the score, and great to read along between the numbers.

And yes me too, for a tour of it if and when it ever comes to Vancouver (or even Seattle or Portland) - best seats possible for this one, lol.

^Your in luck, the show recently announced several new tour dates including Portland in January of 2013.

it will be interesting to see where the show actually goes on tour to, considering the controversial nature of the material I wouldn't be shocked to see the show avoid some of the major markets in the Bible Belt. Then again considering that tickets for Denver in August are already sold out maybe not.

• 2 weeks later...