TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

^ I do not know actually. It is the Dutch production by van den Ende. So it should be big, but they promote he show with both dutch and English songs. But it probably will be Dutch I guess. The role from Elphaba will be played by Willemijn Verkaik, who also played her in Germany. So she will be very into her role.

I am looking foreward to it.

Excellent! I loved the two songs I heard her sing from the 2 cd set ("Solang Ich Dich Hab" and "Gutes Tun" / "As Long As You're Mine" and "No Good Deed") and she has an amazing voice!

One of our local professional companys is putting on

La Cage aux Folles as their (uh)

"Holiday Offering for The Season", lol.

Festive and Mary, indeed, ho ho ho!

We may see it - not sure just yet - opens end of this month. I did get to see the first West Coast production of it, back in late 1985? I believe. At the Pantages Theater in LA. With Walter Charles as Albin and Gene Barry as Georges. Awesome and amazing. Then, the first tour of it thru Vancouver, with Keen Curtis as Albin and Peter Marshall (The Guy-Who-Hosted-Hollywood-Squares) as Georges, lol. Another awesome production of it, it was.

Seen on Broadway:

WICKED

Fiddler on the Roof

In the Heights

Beauty and the Beast

I've seen Rent the movie, but I dream of seeing the play.

My high school is putting on How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (I'm in it!) and my choir performed The Song that Goes Like This from Spamalot, does that count?

RENT is a fantastic show live and film really didn't do it justice whatsoever. Of course with Chris Columbus directing it's no wonder.

I'm in the middle of a run of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog Live! It's been a lot of fun and the die hard Whedon fans are eating it up!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my new copy of the 2011 revival of

James Goldman and Stephen Sondheim's (IMhO)

Masterpiece of a Musical

Follies

And it's wonderful having some of the actual book dialogue leading into a song, bridging numbers, just adding to the total theatre experience of the piece.

It is my all-time fave musical - and always has been, since I first heard the LP recording of the original production in....1971. And then finally found myself an actual copy of the original book - before they changed it for London, and then 'altered it slightly' (a lot I heard) for the 2001 revival So having this original dialogue within the cds is Golden!

Woo hoo!

Follies2011h.jpg.714a969a74b01be523feb6b3547e2445.jpg

Beautiful presenation, with the book filled with photos, lyrics and dialogue all there.

Follies2011a.jpg.e68e3ba41440f4cf4e2c9d08c2d75c2f.jpg

"Beautiful Girls" photo from Broadway.com site for the musical.

Follies2011d.jpg.637622e2eb6c993221095c183c90376d.jpg

The Original Evita - Elaine Paige! Singing "I'm Still Here." Is she ever!

Follies2011c.jpg.47b86abb4ab09300d2517b5fcef70053.jpg

And the classic FOLLIES' number "Who's That Woman?".

Edited by Nrthwnd

The Lion King is finally coming back to Baltimore - definitely going to try to make it. I keep hearing nothing but good things about this show.

Watch the opening on you tube and save yourself 100.00 bucks or so.

So glad to see Follies is replacing Funny Girl in LA, all we need now is for the full Broadway cast to do the LA season.

Really do love Follies!

On a related note, I'm about to begin rehearsals for the only production of Pacific Overtures being staged next year anywhere in the world! It is such a rarely produced show and has one of the greatest scores ever written!

Really do love Follies!

On a related note, I'm about to begin rehearsals for the only production of Pacific Overtures being staged next year anywhere in the world! It is such a rarely produced show and has one of the greatest scores ever written!

Great! "Pacific Overtures" was my very - first - Sondheim show I lucked out on seeing on Broadway, in my very few trips to New York. (I also later got to see the orig.casts of Sweeney Todd and Into The Woods.)

The music of PO is quite beautiful. I think my favourite track (and staged number as they did it) was/is "Someone In A Tree". Then again, there's "Pretty Lady" and the simple but effective "Bowler Hat" (as it was staged then).

EDIT to add: Totally forgot about the beautiful haunting "There Is No Other Way", espcially when there is the 'outcome' from this number (SPOILER ALERT)..... where the hero's wife commits suicide. Very powerful number.

FILE0319.jpg.13ff25456acae4e350230f3493f246da.jpg

This was the logo for the 2004 Brdwy revival of the production, with B.D. Wong leading the cast.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Really do love Follies!

Great! This was my very first Sondheim show I lucked out on seeing on Broadway, in my very few trips to New York. (I also later got to see the orig.casts of Sweeney Todd and Into The Woods.)

The music of PO is quite beautiful. I think my favourite track (and staged number as they did it) was/is "Someone In A Tree". Then again, there's "Pretty Lady" and the simple but effective "Bowler Hat" (as it was staged then).

EDIT to add: Totally forgot about the beautiful haunting "There Is No Other Way", espcially when there is the 'outcome' from this number (SPOILER ALERT)..... where the hero's wife commits suicide. Very powerful number.

"Someone in a Tree" is one of my numbers. I'm singing as the old man. Sondheim has also gone on record as saying that is his favorite peice his ever written.

I'm also the French Admiral in "Please, Hello".

I saw Mary Poppins last night in Toronto and absolutely loved it. I forgot how many of the songs I used to love as a kid; especially Steppin Time and Lets go Fly a Kite.

I also got tickets to see American Idiot at the end of the month in Toronto; I can't wait to see it, I love the album.

One of the theatre companies in Toronto has an under 30 program that sells tickets for $35 to shows on specific days, so I was able to get the American Idiot tickets at about half of what they're worth for my seats. They're also bringing Beauty and the Beast back, so I'll e sure to grab those tickets as well.

For those interested below is a link to download the 1976 OBC of Pacific Overtures ( this was filmed in New York and was shown on Japenese TV )

Enjoy

http://www.megaupload.com/?f=70F22OGZ

Mako -- Reciter, Shogun, Jonathan Goble

Soon-Teck Oh -- Tamate, Kayama's Wife, Samurai, Storyteller, Swordsman

Isao Sato-- Kayama

Yuki Shimoda -- Abe, First Councillor

Sab Shimono -- Manjiro

Ernest Abuba -- Samurai, Adams, Noble

James Dybas -- Second Councillor, Old Man, French Admiral

Timm Fujii—Son, Priest, Girl, Noble, British Sailor,

Haruki Fujimoto -- Servant, Commodore Matthew Calbraith Perry

Larry Hama-- Williams, Lord of the South

Ernest Harada -- Physician, Madam, British Admiral

Alvin Ing -- Shogun's Mother, Observer, Merchant, American Admiral

Patrick Kinser-Lau—Shogun's Companion

Jae Woo Lee—Fisherman, Sumo Wrestler, Lord of the South

Freddy Mao—Third Councillor, Samurai's Daughter

Tom Matsusaka—Imperial Priest

Freda Foh Shen -- Shogun's Wife

Mark Hsu Syers -- Samurai, Thief, Soothsayer, Warrior, Russian Admiral, British Sailor

Ricardo Tobia—Observer

Gedde Watanabe-- Priest

Conrad Yama -- Grandmother, Sumo Wrestler, Japanese Merchant

Fusako Yoshida—Musician, Shamisen

I love musicals...here are a few

My Fair Lady

Sound of Music

Music Man

Sweeney Todd

Guys and Dolls

Gigi

I would LOVE to do My Fair Lady or Guys and Dolls. I want to play Adelaide so bad!

My husband was in The Sound of Music back in 2002; he played some small part, a German something or other. But he had a scene where he was alone on stage with this really strange, kind of not-right in the head man (literally), and Von Trapp was supposed to come in an interrupt them but he had a costume malfunction and didn't make it on stage in time. So Danny starts ad-libbing about Nazi Germany, blah, blah, blah, and instead of going along with it the crazy man stands up and literally GROWLS at Danny! It was hysterical!

I love musicals...here are a few

My Fair Lady

Sound of Music

Music Man

Sweeney Todd

Guys and Dolls

Gigi

I would LOVE to do My Fair Lady or Guys and Dolls. I want to play Adelaide so bad!

My husband was in The Sound of Music back in 2002; he played some small part, a German something or other. But he had a scene where he was alone on stage with this really strange, kind of not-right in the head man (literally), and Von Trapp was supposed to come in an interrupt them but he had a costume malfunction and didn't make it on stage in time. So Danny starts ad-libbing about Nazi Germany, blah, blah, blah, and instead of going along with it the crazy man stands up and literally GROWLS at Danny! It was hysterical!

I've never acted on stage. I was usually a prop runner, asm or stage manager. I haven't found a theatre to work at here though. In Texas I was an intern for the community theatre. I built and painted the sets. I really miss it.