TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

^^ (after watching video...)

That was great, Brandy!

Pretty good, w/o costumes, makup, lighting and...everything else, LOL.

But am curious - the 'bear' on (my) the left of you. I take it he will be shaving soon, to

help with his Chinese Henchman makeup? That asked, is he the one who falls in love with Miss Dorothy - or is it the (already clean shaven) other Henchman of yours, heh heh?

Looking foward to a steller Opening Night (Merde and Break-a-Leg or Three), Incredi-OMG-Mazing Reviews

and of course, the all-important Opening Night PAR-TAY!

Thank you! I believe he's going to shave down to a mustache and goatee. We were talking the other night about getting him extensions for his goatee to braid and put little red bows in, lol. Not sure if he's going to get those or not. And yes, he's the one that falls for Miss Dorothy. We thought it oddly funny that she falls for him over the guy we have playing Trevor. I should have pictures tomorrow in full costume, makeup, and wig!

Brandy- It's looking great so far! I hope that somebody smuggles a camera in for you in the final costuming- and with the rest of the cast!

Thank you! Hopefully we'll get video of pieces of the show, since we can't video the whole thing. And as promised, a picture in costume and makeup. Although this may not actually be my final costume. And Danny did a terrible job taking a picture and didn't get the little bun and pins on top of my head.

440746870_July125-2.jpg.d56547d6554752f341899619170fa55e.jpg

"Sad to be awe arone in da whirld."

Brandy- It's looking great so far! I hope that somebody smuggles a camera in for you in the final costuming- and with the rest of the cast!

Thank you! Hopefully we'll get video of pieces of the show, since we can't video the whole thing. And as promised, a picture in costume and makeup. Although this may not actually be my final costume. And Danny did a terrible job taking a picture and didn't get the little bun and pins on top of my head.

I understand that- when B was in "My Fair Lady" we weren't able to do a video of it- WAAAH! But the costume so far looks like a winner!

Saw the new version of Les Mis last Friday at the Ahmanson in LA and it was excellent! I have seen it a few times before and was wondering what they meant when they had "updated" it. The big change is that they no longer have turntable and instead use screens. They also cut out a few songs, shaving about 20 minutes off. The screens were awesome and I loved this version. My only complaint was the opening number, they did it in a boat and I think the chain gang concept fits in better with the song.

The cast was multi-ethnic and it was great! This was the Javert I have seen and I thought Jean Valjean would get a standing ovation halfway through as his singing was wonderful.

Also, I grew up with the woman playing Madame Thenardier, which was really cool to how far she had come from our church musicals as kids!

God, I miss this show. For all the trouble and stress that came from it (like getting that freaking can onstage... UGH), it was an incredible show, and it's sad to know that my high school will never do any show ever again that will be anywhere near as good as Hairspray was. Here's "You Can't Stop the Beat" from our show, excuse the girl who played Tracy for being out-of-breath in the very beginning, she just ran down a huge flight of stairs from the back of the house seconds before the song started.

^ My high school just did Hairspray and it was the last one I'll ever be apart of, (I helped make the sets I'm not much of a singer/dancer except in my shower,) but it was the BEST show we've ever done, and your video brought back good memories. It's amazing how music and art bring people together.

Also, I really like the girl who played Penny in your video she fit the role really well from what I could see in this video.

As for musicals, I just watched Mamma Mia, such a good musical!

Call me crazy, but I LOVE the Rocky Horror Picture Show. And anyone who likes a little horror and a lot of camp thrown in with their musical, you gotta check out Repo! The Genetic Opera. Like it or not (I loved it) it's certainly one you wont forget anytime soon.

We had an amazing opening weekend for Thoroughly Modern Millie! So excited for this coming weekend! If any of you are within driving distance of Gadsden, Alabama, you should come see me!

So my high school is doing Thoroughly Modern Millie too, albeit next year, but the majority of the male portion of the theatre company here is NOT looking forward to it. They're angry about how female-focused the show is, and how there are only three male principals, and two of them have to be Asian.. Is there anything I can tell them to get their hopes up for the show?

We had an amazing opening weekend for Thoroughly Modern Millie! So excited for this coming weekend! If any of you are within driving distance of Gadsden, Alabama, you should come see me!

So my high school is doing Thoroughly Modern Millie too, albeit next year, but the majority of the male portion of the theatre company here is NOT looking forward to it. They're angry about how female-focused the show is, and how there are only three male principals, and two of them have to be Asian.. Is there anything I can tell them to get their hopes up for the show?

There's four male principals: Jimmy, Trevor, Ching Ho and Bun Foo. Our Asians are not really Asian. Makeup goes a long way! They just have to be willing and able to learn Chinese (and the rental package comes with a pronunciation CD). And you can fill in a male chorus as big or as small as you'd like. There are several chorus numbers where males are needed. Our guys are having a lot of fun. It's an opportunity for guys (and girls) who don't have much stage experience to get their feet wet in the chorus.

It's such a high energy show; everyone is really enjoying it! Depending on your choreography (and the dance ability of your guys) there's plenty of opportunities for the guys to shine. And really, there's only three female principals, too, with the rest being hotel girls and stenographers.

I want to see..

1. The Book Of Mormon

2. American Idiot

3. Next To Normal

4. Spring Awakening

I've seen...

1. Avenue Q

2. RENT

3. The Lion King

4. Wicked

5. Into The Woods

6. A Chorus Line

7. All Shook Up

8. Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

9. Hairspray

10. The Sound of Music

11. Suessical

Theatre:

Wicked (OMFG SO GOOD)

Grease

Beauty and the Beast

Lion King

Film:

Dancer in the Dark: IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT, YOU MUST. Most likely the saddest movie/ musical I have ever seen. Music is written and preformed by Bjork (such a stunning performance from her) If your not into/don't know Bjork, give it a chance. The storyline is just incredible, as I'm sure that you'll be crying by the end of it.

The whole thing is on Youtube in 14 parts.

My wife and I saw the touring Mary Poppins in January when it came to Pittsburgh, and we thought it was a lot of fun! In fact, we've seen 3 Disney musicals now, and they were all great fun. In fact, Lion King was actually outstanding.....the opening scene was very moving!

About a month and a half before we go see Wicked again!! Time number 4 for me!

Music Theatre of Wichita got the rights to do "The Little Mermaid" this summer, along with only TWO other theatres in the whole country. Disney won't be releasing the rights again until a minimum of 2014. They're taking the show to the Netherlands for tweaking and a possible US National tour. ANYWAY, the show was PHENOMENAL. People shot up out of their seats for the standing ovation right as curtain call started. All of the cast was amazing, the set was so fantastic, costumes were nothing short of breathtaking. Here's some pictures:

I saw the show tonight as well as the night before. Well worth it! I'm going to see it again later this week.

We have a tour of Mama Mia! coming to Vancouver in a couple of weeks. But I'm not planning to see it, as I saw the first (month-long) tour that came through, and it was fun. But not enough to want to see it again. However... in other musicals-related news...

I was checking through (my usual sources) any new cast recordings coming up, and over at Sh-k-Boom Records, it "looks" like they've come up with with a possible final design, for the newly Tony-annointed Best Musical Revival cd cover of "Anything Goes".

Looks good. And man, what I would give to see & hear Sutton Foster in this production. And Joel Grey, too. But I mean, the dancing!

AnythingGoes2011.jpg.9a58c30370d4c297921e48b7cd5faa30.jpg

Everything looks right on it. IMhO (o: I believe the release date is near the end of this month? Anybody else know different?