TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

Just found this thread on Musicals, read the whole thing.

One Comment to the person that seemed embarrassed to admit seeing Wicked 17+ times.

We (Local 16, San Francisco) built Wicked for Broadway, and if you saw that performance you

would find a much more political story line that ran a full 90 min. longer then the current version.

I saw PTO 23 times and worked it 147 times.... and yes I still like it.

PTO Las Vegas is awful. In my Humble opinion.

As for me... Theatre supports my Roller Coaster Habit.

I've been involved in Theatre for over 40 years and one day I'll post my show list.

I'm currently working on The Ring of Nibelung for the SF Opera. We have been in Tech Rehearsals

for about a month and in two weeks, we start the Complete Ring Cycle for 3 weeks in a row.

Of course I'll be in Japan then.... Weeeeeeeee.

For those who are unfamiliar with the Ring, it is four very long operas presented in one week.

Das Rheingold, 2hrs 35min, No intermission/interval

Die Walkure, 4hrs 30min, 2 intermissions

Siegfried, 4hrs 50min, 2 intermissions

Gotterdammerung, 5hrs 15min, 2 intermissions.

Peace

JC

• 2 weeks later...

Broadway Original Cast cds

are coming out this month,

fast and furious...

I get mine thru Amazon.com

and can never wait for my home shop

to (eventually, yawn) get "them" in, lol!

And "see you all at The TONYs" online or on CBS,

next Sunday evening, viewing times varied.

(ALSO - "about that other Best Revival nom".... The Great News is that "Anything Goes" with

Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and it's 9 TONYs-nominated company will get recorded, and released

..before end of summer I heard. Here's hoping!)

HowToSucceed-2011.jpg.597495ed04fd3a9ff386ac25362d380d.jpg

Harry Potter in Big Business circa-1960s! With the amazing tv-pro John Larroquette. Best Musical Revival nominee. Out tomrrow, June 7th.

theBookOfMormon-2011.jpg.d1ea2ddfc3ee1828e09e81717278ea18.jpg

14 TONY noms - by "South Park" and "Avenue Q" creators - it's an original musical - and Everybody LOVES IT! Including some Mormons!!! (o: Also out tomorrow, June 7th.

BabyItsYou-2011.jpg.f02a7b88872f7371942e1fa61d72b270.jpg

The story of the New Jersey housewife-producer you never heard of - till now - The Shirells' finder. A pioneer in a male-dominated (then) recording business. Best Actress nom for Beth Leavel. Out June 14th.

SpiderMan-2011.jpg.e142adc9503f81a3f4c7486300496b30.jpg

So THIS One Finally Opens, two days after the TONYS. And so does it's "Music From" CD ~ With Orig.Cast Members included. I'm open and willing to listen for myself. Released June 14th.

CatchMeIfYouCan-2011.jpg.bd0f8d43330b660f2bd7cce8fa072488.jpg

Based on an actual life story in the early 1960s.... "Live In Living Color"! Not a lot of TONY noms, but am looking forward very much to this one, penned by the "Hairspray" guys. And it comes out June 28th.

Just found out last night that I'm going to be playing Mrs. Meers in Thoroughly Modern Millie this summer. I was not supposed to be in the show; I was the assistant choreographer. But we had someone bow out and I got picked to take her place. Whoo!

^

Congrats on your casting, lol!

It's quite the part. "Millie" was done here a couple of years back in our

Theatre In The Park. And the actress playing Mrs.Meers certainly was

enjoying her time on stage, you could definitely tell from it.

Enjoy it, break a leg - and enjoy the extra added stress of multi-tasking,

heh heh. Unless of course, you're not the Assistant Chor.

any more? Now that your new casting has ocurred?

I'm sure I've posted here already but here are some updates!

I just finished music directing and playing Larry in [title of show] at the 2011 Orlando International Fringe Festival. And we won 5 Audience Choice Awards!!

I'm off to NYC Friday and already have tickets to see The Book of Mormon, Spiderman: Turn off the Dark, and Now.Hear.This which is the newest show by the group that brought you [title of show].

I will be music directing The Fantastiks at Seminole College in the fall. This will be my 4th time doing this show!

And for those really interested in what I do in my spare time, I have written and produced two musicals:

Halloween:The Musical http://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-The-Musical/141760568944

And Theme Park Diva: The Musical http://www.facebook.com/pages/Theme-Park-Diva-The-Musical/218583551485752

I'm hoping to produce Theme Park Diva next May at the 2012 Orlando Fringe. I wrote it in 1997 so it will be the 15th anniversary production!!

^

Congrats on your casting, lol!

It's quite the part. "Millie" was done here a couple of years back in our

Theatre In The Park. And the actress playing Mrs.Meers certainly was

enjoying her time on stage, you could definitely tell from it.

Enjoy it, break a leg - and enjoy the extra added stress of multi-tasking,

heh heh. Unless of course, you're not the Assistant Chor.

any more? Now that your new casting has ocurred?

Thank you! It's definitely going to be a fun part! I'm looking forward to it. Ordered my wig today. And yes, I'm still the Assistant Choreographer, so I have to learn ALL the dances even though I'm not in them, on top of my stuff as well. Ah, the joys of community theatre!

Just found out last night that I'm going to be playing Mrs. Meers in Thoroughly Modern Millie this summer. I was not supposed to be in the show; I was the assistant choreographer. But we had someone bow out and I got picked to take her place. Whoo!

Oh -WOW- Mr. Meers was brilliant in the movie played by Bea Lillie- and she was a HOOT!!! One of my all-time favorite musicals- and I can still recall one of the greatest lines being....

"Mrs Meers? What are you doing?"

"Oh, I'm trying to get this stain out of the carpet."

"Oh? What are you using?"

"Soy Sauce."

and recalling that over an asian dinner with a good friend both of us screaming... "SOY SAUCE! SOY SAUCE! SHE RUINED MY BRAND NEW DRESS AND IT'S FRESH FROM PARIS!"

(returning to normal 'butch mode' now...)

R.D.

Nice! My high school is doing that musical next spring, I'm pretty excited, it sounds like a heck of a fun show.

As for me... Theatre supports my Roller Coaster Habit.

I've been involved in Theatre for over 40 years and one day I'll post my show list.

I'm currently working on The Ring of Nibelung for the SF Opera. We have been in Tech Rehearsals

for about a month and in two weeks, we start the Complete Ring Cycle for 3 weeks in a row.

Of course I'll be in Japan then.... Weeeeeeeee.

For those who are unfamiliar with the Ring, it is four very long operas presented in one week.

Das Rheingold, 2hrs 35min, No intermission/interval

Die Walkure, 4hrs 30min, 2 intermissions

Siegfried, 4hrs 50min, 2 intermissions

Gotterdammerung, 5hrs 15min, 2 intermissions.

Peace

JC

I will be seeing that in the third cycle (Two weeks from yesterday on...)

^"I will be seeing that in the third cycle (Two weeks from yesterday on...)"

Well we have some good news Gotterdammerung is now down to 5hrs 5min.

This is great, I hope you enjoy it.

BTW: We do a thing called a 'Curtain Up Dress Rehearsal' and if you would like,

I have a pass for the dress rehearsal of Das Rheingold on the 10th @ 7pm

and one for Die Walkure on the 11th @ 6pm. If you would like one or both

you are more then welcome to them, if you need 2, this can be arranged with

advanced notice. What is a "Curtain Up Dress Rehearsal", The front curtain is

flown out during set changes, this transition can be very enlightening for someone

with little or a lot of back stage experience. The set's for this show are huge and

seeing the changes live is quite amazing.....

Peace

JC

Just saw a performance of the 2nd US/Canada touring production of

Wicked,

on Wednesday night...

...and it!

Both leads were great - amazing singers

together and solo. All the cast in fact, was great

singing-wise.

I loved the whole show, from start to finish.

And a bunch of us were already on our feet as the first

of the ensemble took their bows! And I think

they were happily surprised the ovation wasn't

just for the leads, heh heh.

That was cool to enjoy, with their reaction, lol.

It was an awesome show, and I am so glad I FINALLY

got to see it ~ and ironically, also enjoyed

Avenue Q just a few months earlier.

First time also touring here. Timing, hmm?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to the Chess soundtracks recently, and it's amazing how much the London version differs from the Broadway version. Basically, The Russian, Anatoly, stays the antagonist throughout both Acts in the Broadway version, ultimately losing to the American, Freddie.

In the London version, Anatoly wins at the end of the first Act and the second is him defending his title after he defects from Russia for Florence, who was once Freddie's chess second and lover. Russia wants him back and threatens his wife and family if he wins and doesn't come back.

Story aside, the songs are great; my favorites being "The Arbiter," "One Night in Bangkok," (although hearing Adam Pascal rap it on the Live in Royal Albert Hall version is quite funny) "Anthem," and "Pity the Child." It's quite long though and features quite a few themes besides Chess. Cold War propaganda and love are two main themes in the musical. Chess is one of my favorite musicals right now. I wish we'd do it at our High School, but we don't have enough males to cover all the leads and still have male voices in the ensemble.

I'm currently at Theatre Camp in Fiddler On The Roof as Lazar Wolf. We auditioned last Sunday... And we open tomorrow! Yup, a week of rehearsals. A single week. What a thrill

We're all kind of annoyed by this freaking cricket though. It's SOMEWHERE in the theatre but we can't figure out where and it won't SHUT UP!!! It's becoming distracting to the scenes and making dramatic scenes more comedic.

Oh, and during "To Life," we were sitting around a table and Tevye started dancing on the table. Unfortunately, my hand was still on the table and Tevye stomped on my ring and pinkey finger twice. It... still... hurts. But one of the amazing things about theatre is that you pretend like nothing happened I flinched at first, but continued like nothing happened. I just love things like that! Not getting hurt though... That sucks!!! Lol.

Also... This show almost makes me cry, especially during Chava Sequence.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a FREE ticket to Phantom in the West End last night; stunning to say the least. Third row, first balcony. seeing Wizard of Oz at the Palladium tomorrow and Les Mis for the first time at some point in the next two weeks or so.

Got home from TPR Japan tour yesterday, and found out my partner

had gone out and got us tix to Thurs.' performance (it it's last week)

of local professional company's production of

HAIRSPRAY

Excellent! Can't wait to see it live onstage!

Video of me and my henchmen doing Muqin at rehearsal Friday night. No costumes or makeup yet. And I think this was only the second or third time we'd run this song with choreography, so it's a little rough. You'll have to turn the sound up because we had no mics yet, especially at the beginning when we're upstage away from the camera. This video is unlisted on youtube because we didn't want just anyone watching them (and my guys don't know I'm posting this here ). We're doing publicity photos tonight, so I'll have pictures in full makeup and costume tomorrow!

I just watched The Big Gay Musical on Netflix, it was pretty good. I liked the story behind it, granted it could've been better in my eyes, I didn't like how cheesy or quick some of the story transitioned, but all in all it was a good watch, and with better looking men. =P

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to watch The Sound of Music.

EDIT: Oh and my favorite musical of all time is Into the Woods, just to throw that out there.

^^ (after watching video...)

That was great, Brandy!

Pretty good, w/o costumes, makup, lighting and...everything else, LOL.

But am curious - the 'bear' on (my) the left of you. I take it he will be shaving soon, to

help with his Chinese Henchman makeup? That asked, is he the one who falls in love with Miss Dorothy - or is it the (already clean shaven) other Henchman of yours, heh heh?

Looking foward to a steller Opening Night (Merde and Break-a-Leg or Three), Incredi-OMG-Mazing Reviews

and of course, the all-important Opening Night PAR-TAY!