TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

After my experience on the IntimidaTour, I can add the following coasters to my underrated coasters list:

Carowinds:

Afterburn-This is seriously one of the best inverted coasters out there. I found it to be better than both Raptor and Alpengeist, and those are both rated better than it. Other than the slight rattle in some of the rows, I thought this was an outstanding ride. If only my local B&M invert (Silver Bullet) could be like this.

Dollywood:

Mystery Mine-Although this isn't the smoothest ride in the world, it is a really fun ride. The beginning of the ride is like a dark ride and is completely different from anything I have seen on a coaster anywhere. The middle of the ride was the least interesting but still had a surprisingly intense drop and a couple interesting turns. The end of the ride had an outstanding drop as well as one of the best hangtime moments I have experienced on a coaster.

Kings Dominion:

Dominator-The best of the three floorless coasters I have been on. Not only does this ride not have a rapid-fire inversion layout, it also has some of the most forceful turns I have experienced on a B&M coaster. It is also smoother than I expected for a ride of its age.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gemini - Cedar Point. It's far from the most-celebrated coaster at the park, but I like it more every time I visit, which is something I certainly can't say for many rides out there.

Talon - Dorney Park. I always hear about Hydra and (the excellent) Steel Force when people talk about Dorney, but Talon rarely seems to be brought up. I think this ride holds its own with any of the B&M inverts I've ridden.

Ricochet @ Carowinds = Wow, this thing is seriously out-of-control! It was so much fun, and the airtime was amazing (better than any other coaster at the park, including Intimidator).

Grizzly @ Kings Dominion = This is the only wooden coaster in my top ten, and it's awesome. I don't understand how people can call Grizzly rough when compared to Rebel Yell and Hurler.

Shivering Timbers - I know it was ranked highly a while ago, but since then it seems like little has been heard about it. It is a great ride that seems to get overlooked when compared to newer wooden coasters, but then again, being in the middle of nowhere might be part of the reason so little is heard about it.

Tennessee Tornado - I had heard that this coaster was starting to show its age, but I found it to be very smooth. It seems to get overlooked when compared to Mystery Mine and Thunderhead, but Tennessee Tornado is still a great ride. It is very smooth, the inversions are great, and the hill at the end had a lot more airtime than I expected.

Wolverine Wildcat - While not as good as Shivering Timbers, this is still underrated. It doesn't fit the Dinn stereotype as it is actually very smooth, and there are even some moments of airtime. It isn't a great ride, but it definitely isn't the worst, especially when you consider how bad it could be.

Lakeside's Cyclone - Sure it is old and rough, but this ride still packs a punch. The ride never lets up, and the intensity and airtime was a surprise when I rode it.

• 3 months later...
either alpengeist or apollo's chariot quote]

Both of those(especially Apollo) are VERY highly rated in the enthusiast community, in fact, I would probably put it (apollo) as my second fave steel coaster.

Riddlers Revenge. Why? Standups get a bad name because they supposedly suck. Riddler is my favorite ride that I have ever ridden. It is forceful has a few awesome backseat moments of air and is a B&M masterpiece.

When i went they didn't seem to be highly rated by the general public as there was no line for Apollo's chariot all day but there was one for the griffon (overrated) and for escape from Pompeii

P.S. you messed up the quoting I didn't tamper with the quotes

Yankee Cannonball: I'm glad to hear that others share my opinion on this one! It is my #1 pure wooden coaster even though I haven't been on that many top notch wooden coasters.

Millennium FORCE: I emphasized the word force because I am just speechless on how people brown-out on it often( you could count on two hands the amount of roller coasters in this country known to do that) and yet it is often called Millennium Forceless. I'm still waiting for the day that someone comes off the ride, after blacking out for 10 seconds, only to come on some forum site and spread the gospel that it's just the worlds biggest kiddie coaster.

Medusa - SFDK: The best floorless coaster out there... Intense, and has B&M's only Sea Serpent inversion(s).

Coastersaurus - Legoland: one of the best kiddie coasters out there...pretty forceful turn around the lake..

Desert Storm - Castles and Coasters: WHY? Do people hate this ride? Great first Drop, two intense odd shaped loops, and only lap bars...yet people say it has head banging..it's a great ride. As well a Patriot.

^I'm an outspoken fan of a Hopkins creation myself. I like Dragon at Adventureland, which is consistently considered one of the world's world coasters. I actually think it's relatively complete for a modest, mid-sized steel looper. It has a bizarre yet oddly enjoyable pre-lift, two smooth loops taken at a nice speed, and some tolerable (if neck-chopping) curves and helices. I had been somewhat apprehensive of riding it, but found it to be fairly smooth, not to mention pretty fun for its size and style! I prefer it to many of the other smaller loopers I've ridden.

Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland. It's one of the best B&M Hypers, but it doesn't get talked about often because it's in Canada. Also Bizarro at SFGA, it doesn't seem to be mentioned as a top floorless coaster, but it should.

Behemoth is NOT underrated. It was voted the 13th best steel roller coaster in the world in 2009: BestRollerCoasterPoll2009

As for me, I think Viper at SFMM is definitely underrated. It never has a line, and if you get a seat towards the back, is loads of fun!

Viper at SFGam

This is one of the best and smoothest wooden coasters I've ever been on. its got great airtime. It's a nice sized ride not to big or small. Really Really Really smooth and an all around great ride.

Agreed. Also, it was made by Sixflags, so props to them!

Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland. It's one of the best B&M Hypers, but it doesn't get talked about often because it's in Canada. Also Bizarro at SFGA, it doesn't seem to be mentioned as a top floorless coaster, but it should.

Behemoth is NOT underrated. It was voted the 13th best steel roller coaster in the world in 2009: BestRollerCoasterPoll2009

As for me, I think Viper at SFMM is definitely underrated. It never has a line, and if you get a seat towards the back, is loads of fun!

I think it should be higher than that, I prefer it to Nitro, which is #3. It should definitely be top 10 IMO. Even though it's ranked #13, I don't hear it mentioned with Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Diamondback, etc. like it should.