TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steel Force - can't go wrong with airtime!

Hydra - the Jo-Jo roll is pretty creative, crazy layout, and the drop is fun

The Great Nor'Easter - an SLC without headbanging? It's more awesome than you think!

Fahrenheit - might not be totally underrated, but still deserves more praise with that insane first drop.

Wild One - has better ejector than El Toro in my opinion. A classic in all respects.

Vortex- Kings Island: My second favorite Arrow looper (Behind Nessie ofcourse). Very Smooth and great hang time!

Tennessee Tornado- Dollywood: This ride is now overshadowed by its Thunderhead and Mystery Mine bretheren, but a smooth arrow with a short, yet very fun layout

Wicked Twister: This ride I rarely see love for, but its just nothing but pure fun and excitement, and some of the most airtime filled rides out there

Disaster Transport- Whats wrong with having an indoor ride with cheesy special effects? Almost always a big queue, I dont see why this ride gets such a bad rap! And its great family ride, a good transition before the bigger coasters!

GhostRider: Even though this ride is rough, I still think it is a really good ride. I always ride it in the first three cars as the first ride of the day, and since the ride hasn't had a chance to warm up yet it is running slower and isn't that rough, plus the front is rougher than the back.

Giant Dipper (both): For their age, both of these rides are really good. The Santa Cruz Giant Dipper is one of the best wooden coasters in California, and the San Diego one is still worth a ride if I'm in the area.

Blue Streak (CP): This ride has a lot of airtime, but isn't heard about too often because of all the bigger and better coasters at Cedar Point. It is also one of the more difficult coasters to find because it is not directly on a main walkway but is instead back a bit, which means it typically has a short line compared to the park's other coasters.

Edit: forgot the steel coasters.

California Screamin': Few people consider this ride a good thrill ride because it is at a Disney park but this is one of my top ten steel coasters. The ride is extremely long, completely smooth, and it is probably the best ride for an entire family I've ever ridden (intense enough to excite thrill-seekers, but also tame enough that few people have a problem with it).

Flight Deck (CGA): The best inverted coaster in California. Despite its size, this ride packs a massive punch.

Riddler's Revenge: Most people aren't a fan of the stand-up coaster, but this is certainly the best. I haven't ever found it uncomfortable to ride as long as the seat is adjusted correctly, and it also has a pretty good layout.

Edited by rcdude

^I think the SCBB Dipper is easily the best woodie in California, and I've ridden them all except for the Belmont Dipper.

I don't personally think of it as underrated, but I think my affection for it is more...perhaps..."extreme" than others'. Although I'm a bit biased toward the "classic" feel because I love that, I actually think it provides a very solid ride experience. No, it isn't scary, but it's incredibly fun.

Time will tell (soon, actually) if my opinions are only due to lack of experience, or if it's just the way I feel and I won't change even if it seems silly to others.

• 2 months later...
Tennessee Tornado- Dollywood: This ride is now overshadowed by its Thunderhead and Mystery Mine bretheren, but a smooth arrow with a short, yet very fun layout.

Agreed! Tennessee Tornado is my favorite coaster at Dollywood.

Rampage at Alabama Adventure is quite underrated. It is one of my favorite woodies out there, and I wish it and the park itself could get more publicity!

Edited by samisthabomb

Thunderhawk at Dorney- Despite being dwarfed by Steel Force, and the trims towards the end, it's a fun and fast paced ride.

Windstorm at Fun Spot- Given, there are copies of this, but damn, that second drop is a doozy!

Viper at Darien Lake- Sure, it has some headbanging, but the awesome layout makes up for it.

Dragon Mountain at Marine Land- Mostly smooth Arrow looper with 2 long tunnels, a large helix, the only Bowtie element on a coaster, a great view from on top of a mountain, and one of the best themed stations I have ever seen!

Disaster Transport at Cedar Point- I actually found this to be a very fun and well themed ride.

Cheetah at Wild Adventures- EXTREMELY ROUGH. But I enjoyed it.

Yankee Cannonball at Canobie Lake Park. At only 63' tall and 2,000 feet long, this woodie delivers. Lots of airtime for such a "short" coaster. Well paced, well maintained, single position PTC lap bars (at least last time I rode, quite a while ago) and probably the most underrated amusement park in the U.S. If you've never been, it's worth the trip and about 2 hours from Six Flags New England (115 miles).

Volcano at Kings Dominion IMO is a bit underrated. I have never been on a coaster that gets your heart beating that fast. The way you leave the station and slowly creep around the corner over the water and rocks not knowing when exactly you are going to blast 70 MPH through the mountain with your legs flying back scares me to death. Once you burst out of the mountain upside down the ride is "okay", but that first half is fantastic!

The Vekomas at Elitch Gardens are smooth...

I agree! Especially the Boomerang. I am sill not a huge fan of the Hang&Bang (SLC), but it certainly isn't the worst one I've ridden.

Mind eraser seriously depends on where you sit. Some places will be rough, with headbanging, and some seats will have minimal headbanging.

X2 at Magic Mountain is without a doubt the best ride ever. Yet it hardly gets mentioned.

Hardly gets mentioned? I don't think so. I hear this ride mentioned more that any other ride there. By a long shot.

I would actually place X2 at the far opposite end of the spectrum, in the 'Overrated Coasters' category.

Anyway, I think in a general sense, B&M stand-ups are underrated. Also Vekoma Giant Boomerangs (Deja Vu).

X2 at Magic Mountain is without a doubt the best ride ever. Yet it hardly gets mentioned.

Hardly gets mentioned? I don't think so. I hear this ride mentioned more that any other ride there. By a long shot.

I would actually place X2 at the far opposite end of the spectrum, in the 'Overrated Coasters' category.

Anyway, I think in a general sense, B&M stand-ups are underrated. Also Vekoma Giant Boomerangs (Deja Vu).

I agree that Giant boomerangs are underrated, but X2 will have to be lucky to receive a top 15 spot. Millennium force, Kingda Ka, TTD, heck even Bizarro; are all overrated to me. And yes, I have ridden them. X2 provides a unique experience from the second u stand in the line to the minute you get off.