TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

Air at Alton Towers

Such a great ride, everyone puts it down for not being a thrill ride, but its B&Ms first flying attempt, the park has height restrictions, and afterall John Wardley wanted to give the sensation of flight, which especially when you dive under the bridge , does it so well.

I suppose Colossus at Thorpe aswell.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why people don't like Magnum, okay I have gotten a little sore from the lapbars, but it is a great ride with a plethora of airtime. Another example is Gemini, well hardly anyone complains about Gemini in fact nobody ever says anything about Gemini. It can be slow but it does have great airtime and is one of the most unique coasters ever. Cyclone at SFNE is one of my top tens, its fast, insane, a little rough but big deal, I don't get why people seem to over look it.

^Seconded. The forces on those rides are just amazing, especially in the first helix on Titan. The sustained airtime of the airtime hill on both is awesome as well.

Georgia Scorcher

I always for get how great this ride is. After ten years though, it's still smooth as glass and really packs one heck of a punch. It's by no means the biggest stand-up, but I personally feel it is second only to Riddler's Revenge.

Agreed on Goliath at SFMM. I usually am not a big fan of those steel hypers from the "mine is bigger than yours!" era, but I think that's an incredible coaster. Forceful, smooth and entertaining from beginning to end. I'm always surprised it doesn't end up on more lists.

^^You beat me to it!

I second Georgia Scorcher. Though not the biggest and baddest, that drop is amazing in the back of the train, and the layout is incredibly forceful. Plus, second to Montu, its the smoothest B&M I've ridden!

I'm always surprised it doesn't end up on more lists.

Probably because most coaster nerds want abundant airtime from hyper coasters. Millennium Force seems to be the only exception to this. If you look at the past several years of the Internet coaster poll, there have been only two coasters that have made the #1 slot and they both have massive amounts of airtime.

Hades-I don't really hear alot of people talk about this one. I rode that thing and it was amazing. There is only one bad part of the ride which really rattles your head but it is a great ride.

Demon (SFGAM)-I really enjoyed this Arrow alot. Not to rough and pretty neat ride at night.

Whizzer-Fun ride. I love how this ride goes near the trees and great decent speed.

Wild One-No doubt this is a great ride.

Another two are Mystery Mine and Tennessee Tornado.

TT is easily the second best Arrow (behind Corkscrew at CP!). It's incredibly smooth, fun, and the airtime is GREAT near the back of the train!

MM is also a great ride. It's full or air, pretty smooth, and definitely unique. Yet, it only ranked #72 on the steel poll!

I think there are three coasters that come to mind for me (all in Texas)...

1. Steel Eel (SWSA): this coaster has AMAZING ejector air and is just plain fun

2. Shockwave (SFoT) his coaster also has amazing air in the back seat and it very smooth and intense for its age.

3. Superman Krypton Coaster: honestly this thing is amazing for its perfect combination of elements and its use of the terrain.

I also agree with the Titan/Goliath comments, though I prefer Titan for its extra helix, it really does make a big difference.

Cornball Express - so much fun, probably not as much underrated as not as highly esteemed as other wood coasters.

Maverick - seems to inspire indifference or love, I'm on the love side.

Batman inverts - a bit taken for granted because there are so many but hey do pack a punch, thinking especially of the SFMM one.

Viper (Six Flags Great America) - better than any coaster there, a really good woodie.

* Big Dipper @ Geauga Lake - Crazy airtime in the front seat for a fairly tame looking wooden coaster.

* Gemini @ Cedar Point - Another under-rated coaster, but this one has gotten pretty rough in the last season or two. Especially the death helix at the end...ouch! Used to be my #1 coaster many years ago.

* Nitro @ SFGA - I wouldn't say this coaster is totally under-rated, but with Kingda Ka and El Toro getting all the attention at this park, people tend to forget that this B&M would be a #1 coaster at just about any other theme park (think Canada's Wonderland). This is currently my favorite B & M coaster (no, I have not ridden Behemoth) with good pops of air, a great first drop, and an overall extremely fun ride.

* Ride of Steel @ Darien Lake - Everyone knows (or thinks) that S:ROS is the best steelie, but this version is not a bad coaster. I have only ridden this a couple of times, but the first drop was awesome and the speed sections used to be extremely powerful.

* The old 'Lightning Loops' launched Arrow loopers (as well as the Schwarzkopf shuttles)- I had more fun as a kid riding these things with my father at SFGA and Boardwalk and Baseball! Technology has excelled past these coasters in the last fifteen years, but I will always remember the feeling that first time that I was launched...simply awesome!

* The old 'Lightning Loops' launched Arrow loopers (as well as the Schwarzkopf shuttles)- I had more fun as a kid riding these things with my father at SFGA and Boardwalk and Baseball! Technology has excelled past these coasters in the last fifteen years, but I will always remember the feeling that first time that I was launched...simply awesome!

Yea, I definitely remember Lightning Loops. ...good times, good times.

^I really wanted to like Revolution, but I just couldn't. It was actually the only let down at SFMM for me. The restraints killed it. They were far too awkward and delivered one too many jabs to the head. It was really a shame, 'cause I could tell it would actually be a pretty fun ride if it had a better restraint system.

^ They seem to keep changing the restraint system. I really didn't mind it as it is now similar to the others. I think there's some type of law, maybe from SF's themselves or the state of CA about what type of restraints have to be used. Still great!

^ They seem to keep changing the restraint system. I really didn't mind it as it is now similar to the others.

What do you mean? Does the ride not still host OTSRs?