TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

I'd say Hydra-The Revenge gets a little too much flak. Is it as good as say, Dominator at KD? No. Not at all, but is it a bad ride? No. People always say how forceless Hydra is, but I find that if you opt for the backseat, you get some decent forces going down that first drop.

I really agree with this! The first half is really fun, even though after the cobra roll it's pretty boring. I actually think it's quite a bit better than the Dark Knight at SFNE!

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Silver Bullet at Kemah Boardwalk in Texas. The critics hate it because it's so rough, but its exactly what you would expect from a wooden coaster over looking the ocean. It's exactly what a wooden coaster should be, rough, fast, and over all a wild ride that doesn't let up until you hit the break run at the end.

Just copying and pasting from the new topic I tried to start

I'd personally give my votes to Griffon, Stormrunner, and Bizarro (SFGAdv). Griffon gives a better feeling of flight than any wing coaster I've been on (except MAYBE Gatekeeper), and is my favorite coaster hands down. I recognize it's not fundamentally the best out there, but I personally love everything about it. Stormrunner has a pretty forceful launch and some crazy elements. The flying snake dive alone makes it worth more praise than it gets. Lastly, Bizarro, at least when I rode it, exceeded my expectations. It was really forceful. Maybe I was just excited to ride it after putting Medusa in all my parks in RCT2.

I'd personally give my votes to Griffon. . . Griffon gives a better feeling of flight than any wing coaster I've been on (except MAYBE Gatekeeper), and is my favorite coaster hands down. . .

Agreed, Griffon is by far one of my favorite coasters!! The first drop is great in the front row, and amazing in the back row!! The view from the top of the lift is great, and the coaster is glass smooth!! I can't wait to get back out there at the end of the month and ride it!

Gemini is one of my absolute favorite coasters at Cedar Point. There's something about riding on the old-school Arrow track combined with the racing element interacting with the other train that gets me giggling quite a bit by the end.

It's just fun. Pure classic amusement park fun.

Recently Tennessee Tornado has been getting a lot of hype by the "enthusiast" community, mainly the Coaster Studios guy. I think it's well deserved, especially since the GP definitely underrate it. It's near and dear to me, but it's since moved down one spot on my DW list to make room for LR.. I just can't get enough of that fabulous launch.

^ I remember one of our tours with Pete and he took us behind the scenes at Tennessee Tornado. He referred to it as the "Arrow that didn't suck."

I heartily agree. Although I'm a bit of a masochist who liked the old Arrow Loopers (I'm of an age when I remember them being all the rage and the biggest and baddest things around,) but Tornado is definitely a class above.

Recently Tennessee Tornado has been getting a lot of hype by the "enthusiast" community, mainly the Coaster Studios guy. I think it's well deserved, especially since the GP definitely underrate it. It's near and dear to me, but it's since moved down one spot on my DW list to make room for LR.. I just can't get enough of that fabulous launch.

I like most of what the Coaster Studios guy has to say, especially as his content improves, but I hate that he doesn't like Alpengeist that much

I think Goliath at SFOG is underrated. IMO, it's the best B&M hyper. The last bunny hills gave decent ejector air. I also think it has the best pacing compared to their other hyper models.

The Dania Beach Hurricane was also underrated. I wish it was relocated instead of demolished.

Speaking of the Goliaths, I have a quick question for those who have ridden it.

I have never ridden it, but it seems that Goliath at La Ronde gets so little attention (at least from what I've noticed). It looks like it has some serious airtime, and with 6+ airtime hills back to back, it only has one trim (that doesn't appear to engage based on videos). Is it not talked about because it's in a crappy park? Would it be an "underrated" coaster? I've just always wondered why Goliath at SFOG and other B&M Hypers (such as the CF ones) get tons of praise and attention, but I almost never hear about Goliath at La Ronde, and it looks like it has some killer airtime hills and one of the better B&M Hypers out there based on videos. Just wondering...

Not going to visit La Ronde anytime soon, but I'm just a little curious as to how "good" it ranks among the other B&M Hypers and if it could be considered an "underrated" coaster.

Also, completely random, but 2,000th post!

^ I've never ridden La Ronde Goliath. I think it looks pretty good. All the V shaped seated B&M hypers are fun coasters, but I'll take a Goliath or Nitro over them any day. Intimidator at Carowinds feels like I'm sitting on a couch when I'm riding it. The trims on almost every hill probably add to that. Same with Diamondback.

Speaking of the Goliaths, I have a quick question for those who have ridden it.

I have never ridden it, but it seems that Goliath at La Ronde gets so little attention (at least from what I've noticed). It looks like it has some serious airtime, and with 6+ airtime hills back to back, it only has one trim (that doesn't appear to engage based on videos). Is it not talked about because it's in a crappy park? Would it be an "underrated" coaster? I've just always wondered why Goliath at SFOG and other B&M Hypers (such as the CF ones) get tons of praise and attention, but I almost never hear about Goliath at La Ronde, and it looks like it has some killer airtime hills and one of the better B&M Hypers out there based on videos. Just wondering...

Not going to visit La Ronde anytime soon, but I'm just a little curious as to how "good" it ranks among the other B&M Hypers and if it could be considered an "underrated" coaster.

Also, completely random, but 2,000th post!

I got 6 rides on La Ronde's Goliath last year and would say that it's my second favorite B&M hyper (well technically almost hyper for this one) or fourth if you include the two gigas I've been on from B&M.

I loved the endless array of hills and they all provided amazing floater air. I can confirm that the trim brake can't be felt at all. The final two twisted air-time hills are also really fun especially in the back seat. The ride also hasn't developed any sort of rattle. For comparison, this is how I rate the B&M mega coasters:

1) Fury 325

2) Leviathan

3) Goliath (SFOG)

4) Goliath (La Ronde)

5) Behemoth

6) Apollo's Chariot

7) Nitro

8) Intimidator

9) Diamondback

Scandia Screamer is worth a look when in the SoCal area. It's pretty rough in parts (you can see a couple of spots on the track that could use some re-profiling right before the train's skateboard-like wheels jackhammer over them), but it's surprisingly ejector-y. I'm a sucker for compact and unusual portables though.

No I really don't care that much. I just feel bad that he can't enjoy the best invert

Alpengeist? The best invert?? No.

Sure it's decent. . . But no where near the best.

635790698663127969-375204451_9.gif

Also, nowhere is one word.

^Well, here's another vote for Alpengeist being horrible

Anyway, my vote for underrated coaster goes to Roller Coaster, the old wooden at Lagoon. Maybe my expectations were low but I really enjoyed my rides on it. Another coaster buddy of mine agreed with me so maybe there's something to it. For now I'll chalk up the unrated aspect due to not many enthusiasts visiting that park.