TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

^Come on man!!! We are talking about Las Vegas! None of those coasters are needed to draw people to Vegas. They are just nice compliments for coaster enthusiasts if you do go! Most of my friends would never know or could care less about those coasters if i hadn't had an interest in them. Also, I disagree that Desperado blows them away. Thats certainly a matter of opinion and you are entitled to it.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

For my most recent surprise I'm going to go with Superman: Escape from Krypton at SFMM. I was never the biggest fan of the forward incarnation but it was much better than expected when I finally got around to it last year.

All time would be New Mexico Rattler, the last CCI, at least when I rode it many years ago. Not a world class ride or anything but it's got a pretty interesting layout for it's height.

^THIS

I've said this before and for some reason people came to defense of Grizzly and Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion, but Woodstock Express is definitely the smoothest wooden coaster at KD, and I would argue has the best airtime of the three. I've never found Rebel Yell to have anything even hinting at ejector, and you'd have to be sitting in a good seat on a good day to convince me it has "mass quantities of floater airtime."

Seriously when I say Woodstock Express at KD is the best wooden coaster in the park, that's not a knock on the other three (although I personally don't think any of them are decent coasters), it's my high appraisal of Woodstock. The back row has some scary moments of ejector.

AGREED. Sitting virtually sideways in the last seat on that ride is one of my favorite experiences from visiting KD.

I know everyone is probably going to disagree with this or think I'm downright stupid but I personally think the Vekoma SLC clones are very underrated. If you can get past the roughness which is on practically every rollercoaster if its not brand new the ride is pretty good. It has a very good layout in my opinion. The only bad things besides roughness is maybe the color scheme but your not riding it for the color. At least I would hope not.

I know everyone is probably going to disagree with this or think I'm downright stupid but I personally think the Vekoma SLC clones are very underrated. If you can get past the roughness which is on practically every rollercoaster if its not brand new the ride is pretty good. It has a very good layout in my opinion. The only bad things besides roughness is maybe the color scheme but your not riding it for the color. At least I would hope not.

I actually agree with you, the layout of the rides are pretty cool! I'd love to see an updated version with the new vekoma track. But on the other hand, we allready have over 30 worldwide so maybe it's time for a complete new design.

• 2 weeks later...
I loved the Boss when I rode it a few weeks back, much preferred to it to any of the woodies at Holiday World the next day. It would be a shame if they ever RMC'd it imo, unless it became unbearably rough.

Boss is one that comes to mind but I'll be totally honest that an RMC Boss could pretty much be the best coaster ever made.

The ones that come to mind for me at the moment (the list could be different at different times) are:

Runaway Mountain, Mr Freeze, and Shock Wave @ SFOT (seriously, this park probably has the best "middle tier" outside of Cedar Point or Silver Dollar City)

Switchback @ ZDT's (more underridden then anything but still one of the best coasters ever and especially in Texas)

Rougarou and Raptor @ CP (Rougarou is just underappreciated because it's at CP, Raptor is seriously amazing and while people love it, it deserves way more than that)

Vortex @ KI (Gets a ton of hate but is actually pretty fun)

All three supporting rides @ SDC (Best "middle tier" I've experienced except Cedar Point and the park doesn't even have a bottom tier at all)

Road Runner Express @ SFFT (One of the rides that is actually really fun even though it shouldn't be based on stats or layout or anything, the setting combined with minimal restraints and janky airtime makes it potentially my favorite mine train (only other that comes close is Thunderation @ SDC)

Big list but I feel like none of these rides get quite the attention they deserve.

I'd say Hydra-The Revenge gets a little too much flak. Is it as good as say, Dominator at KD? No. Not at all, but is it a bad ride? No. People always say how forceless Hydra is, but I find that if you opt for the backseat, you get some decent forces going down that first drop.