TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Challenge (Chinese Fireball). I went to Florida expecting this coaster to be pretty average compared to the other B&M Inverts I rode, and I didn't expect a huge difference between the two sides of the coaster. I actually found Chinese Fireball to have insane pacing (the coaster never let's up!), and to have a great flow of elements! The immelman/helix thingy before the "dueling" loops was insane (my favorite inversion on any B&M). Here's how my B&M Inverts rank for me now!

1. Dragon Challenge (Red)

2. Montu

3. Alpengeist

4. Raptor

5. Afterburn

6. Dragon Challenge (Blue)

7. Flight Deck

8. Batman The Ride

9. Silver Bullet

10. Great Bear

I'll add Powder Keg @ SDC to my list. For something that is marketed as a "family coaster" this ride sure packs a nice punch. The launch is awesome, there is some nice air on the first drop, the g-forces are nice throughout the rest of the ride. The second drop provides some nice air in the back row, and the last turn is unique. I really think that Powder Keg is a VERY underrated coaster.

Kanonen at Liseberg. I didn't think it would be anywhere close to Helix, Balder or Lisebergbanan but it was absolutely brilliant. I loved how small, compact and twisty it was, how it was unlike any other Intamin launched coaster I've been on, and how relatively smooth it was despite such a tight layout.

I'll add Powder Keg @ SDC to my list. For something that is marketed as a "family coaster" this ride sure packs a nice punch. The launch is awesome, there is some nice air on the first drop, the g-forces are nice throughout the rest of the ride. The second drop provides some nice air in the back row, and the last turn is unique. I really think that Powder Keg is a VERY underrated coaster.

I agree with this completely. I think S&S should really push more Powder Keg-style rides, as I'd love to see them at more parks.

Cornball Express for me. Phoenix gets so much love in the enthisiast community for its amazing airtime and buzz bars, but Cornball is right with it. Some amazing pops of ejector, especually on the first drop in the back row. The ride is just a pure blast to experience.

^ Cornball was okay, but I didn't think that it was nearly as fun as Hoosier Hurricane - although we didn't get a chance to do the front seat on CE due to the line being a lot longer. Perhaps we should have waited it out to try a front seat ride.

I was the opposite in that I absolutely loved HH in the front seat - especially at night. I had great air at the top of every hill and was giggling like a school girl throughout. I felt that it was very underrated due to several bad reviews that I had read about it prior to our visit.

Both Superman clones (Darien Lake and SFA) don't get the attention they should. The airtime is amazing and it holds a fast speed for the whole ride. I actually think it is a better ride than Millennium Force. Especially that Darien Lake's model is getting second generation trains, it will ride like new again.

I know that I'm being a Darien Lake fanboy for naming two coasters from there, but Predator could be one of the most underrated coasters in the world. It gets hate for being rough, even though it isn't too bad with the new trains. Airtime over every hill, and it is relentless airtime too. If RMC ever gets its hands on it, it will make a gigantic jump on the coaster rankings.

Gatekeeper at CP gets a tough time on this site, but I found it to be fun, smooth and pretty exciting (in places). The keyhole elements also made for an enjoyable section.

Not in my top 10..but I certainly don't think it deserves all the criticism it gets from enthusiasts and so for me it is underrated.

Agreed 100%!!! I feel like 98% of people who complain about Gatekeeper are either:

1.) Complaining because they have heard others complain, and even though they have never even been on the coaster they feel like it is a bad coaster because others have said it is.

-or-

2.) They don't know how to recognize a good coaster when they ride one.

Gatekeeper is by no means a great amazing coaster. But it is still a decent coaster, and get's way more hate than it should.

Gatekeeper at CP gets a tough time on this site, but I found it to be fun, smooth and pretty exciting (in places). The keyhole elements also made for an enjoyable section.

Not in my top 10..but I certainly don't think it deserves all the criticism it gets from enthusiasts and so for me it is underrated.

Agreed 100%!!! I feel like 98% of people who complain about Gatekeeper are either:

1.) Complaining because they have heard others complain, and even though they have never even been on the coaster they feel like it is a bad coaster because others have said it is.

-or-

Gatekeeper is by no means a great amazing coaster. But it is still a decent coaster, and get's way more hate than it should.

Tremors at Silverwood is another one. Obviously it's known to be great among well-travelled enthusiasts, but for those who've only seen the POVs, it seems lame.

-or-

I rode it and disliked it because it was, well, pretty boring. The initial drop and the keyhole elements were fun, but the rest of the ride wasn't very interesting. The restraint kept tightening up on me, as well, but I understand that CP has fixed that issue. Maverick, MF, and Raptor are still the top coasters at that park.

Giant Drop in Australia is not that well known, and it is one of the best drop rides in the world.

Also The Swarm does not get as good reviews as it should do. It may not be the tallest or fastest or even massively intense, but it is well themed and very fun. And at the end of the day, who can complain when they have fun at a well themed theme park?

Prowler is very underrated! It's a relentless, airtime filled, speedy ride through the Missouri woods! Another one that doesn't get the love it should is Powder Keg at Silver Follar City. That ride has a butt load of airtime, a great launch, and a relatively strong pace!

-or-

Every ride I had on it in 2013 was not fun. The combo of the rattling/bouncing and the vests tightening made it awful. I liked the slow roll on the way back to the station though. Since I was with a group, I rode it 4 times over 2 days in different rows and the rides in the back were not the best. I keep seeing love or hate for this ride so I'm really interested in riding it again.

Exterminator at Kennywood is my top under-rated coaster. Runner up would be Cornball. Buzzbars + twisted CCI layout = standing up the whole ride.

The Python's Pit over at Jeepers is literally one of the best roller coasters I've ever ridden! It is truly a hidden gem...I mean, who would expect that ejector airtime over the lift hill that can only be topped by Skyrush?? That Helix at the end is so powerful I may have greyed out a few times. If you can't handle Goliath/Titan, don't get anywhere near this beast. And that tunnel...woah...the imagery is nearly hallucinogenic, and those bunny hops are INSANE. I almost flew out of the train on those things hadn't it been for the revolutionary safety-harness mechanism. If you are very near a Jeepers, be sure to give this monster a few runs--you will not be disappointed. Be careful, though, as the sheer intensity of this ride might not be suitable for those who are used to milder attractions like I305 or El Toro. Don't wait any longer--discover the true meaning of ejector air and g-force!!

JeepersAlbany03.thumb.jpg.4276a0e72d60eefb61869f504196754a.jpg

The initial drop and the keyhole elements were fun, but the rest of the ride wasn't very interesting. The restraint kept tightening up on me, as well, but I understand that CP has fixed that issue. Maverick, MF, and Raptor are still the top coasters at that park

I had read about the restraint complaints but was surprised to find they were fine when I rode.

I understand why Gatekeeper is "underrated" in the coaster community as it dosen't deliver the full pop that some people expect or would like. I just think people are a bit harsh on it because it is nowhere close to being a BAD ride, and wing coasters still aren't really all that common, so for the GP or a first timer...it still delivers enough to make it fun.

All is fair though....I am still a heretic for preferring Leviathan to Millenium force

I agree with this completely. I think S&S should really push more Powder Keg-style rides, as I'd love to see them at more parks.

These rides seem to be a pretty big hit at parks overseas in China; never understood why they didn't take off here on this side of the pond.