TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

Every coaster @Kennywood - except for the kiddie coaster, which I haven't ridden (not OCD about credits)

Intimidator 305 (outside of the TPR community) - it gets a bad rep for the "terrible" grayouts, which are surreal in a good way.

Manta @SeaWorld San Diego - not as popular as its namesake B&M flying coaster @SeaWorld Orlando, but IMO more intense than 90% of coasters out there, and beats most other multi-launch coasters like Verbolten, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and Tempesto, with the exception of Volcano and other Intamin launch coasters.

Loch Ness Monster @BGW - quite possibly the smoothest Arrow out there.

Thunder Road - #SaveThunderRoad, if it goes Rebel Yell is next

Intamin accelerators with lap bars (TTD, Xcelerator, etc.)

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Storm Runner- same as above, a bit short but that thing is action packed, i much prefer it over Dragster or most other launch coasters.

Agree. I love this ride. It's my second favorite coaster and I'm generally not a fan of short rides, but this one does a lot while it lasts.

I think Talon is sometimes underrated. I've heard mixed reviews and while some have the same opinion as I do, most say it's already a bit of a "new-school" B&M. It might not be very long but has a great pacing, it's smooth and has some pretty forceful moments (like the helix after the immelmann and especially the last turn after the corkscrew)

Just a few:

-Thunderbird (Blew me away. Most people thought it was good but not amazing, but it is in my personal top 5.)

-Powder Keg (Never hear much talk about this one, but it is fantastic.)

-Incredible Hulk (One of my favorite B&Ms. Most people think it's rough, but I really enjoyed it.)

-Mr. Freeze (Not talked about very much, but it's my favorite shuttle coaster.)

-Cyclops (One word: airtime! It's an extremely short ride but packs quite a punch.)

I think that Poltergeist is underrated. I have never ridden that ride and gotten off without a serious adrenaline buzz (of course the dizzy spell comes along too). Only wish SFFT would take the trims off right after the launch.

I agree. With SFFT as my homepark, I've found that the only part of Poltergeist I dislike is riding in the back half of the train (headbangfest). The restraints are also not the best thing ever. I'm not a big fan of ratcheting lap bars

Great White (Moreys) - Moreys is underrated overall and its a shame because I think most enthusiasts see a boomerang and SLC as two of the three "big" coasters so Great White gets overlooked but its always been a fave of mine. Best rides are after a hot day with a full train in the back car.

Agreed, it's still a seriously fun ride.

Hopefully this isn't a repost, but Zippin Pippin at Bay Beach. The back provides a great kick and it's only $1 to ride! It's at a very small park and is highly underrated IMO.

$1 Is a really good deal!!! RCT prices

• 1 month later...

Aftershock at Silverwood. Such a great ride with lots of hate built up for it. GIBs are really fun and scary.

Also, this coaster was purchased by Silverwood for half a million dollars, compared to the 20 million it was purchased for.

Silver Bullet! I will agree that the drop is pathetic and the coaster itself is situated awkwardly at Knott's, but regardless of that the layout is VERY smooth, more intense than people make it out to be, and some unique elements most inverts don't have (over-banked curve notably) and a great finale! The corkscrew/airtime/corkscrew/helix combo flows perfectly and is very forceful and fun.

Is it the best invert in the world? Absolutely not. Is it a forceless boring snooze-fest? No.

X2 at SFMM. I know that there are a lot that rate it high besides me, but to me there is scarcely anything I have ever done that is the least bit comparable to that first drop where you are flipped over to dive straight towards the ground. It really is a separate dimension of coaster that nothing else can really compare to. To me, there are rollercoasters, and then there is X2. I don't see how anyone can ride this ride and not think it is head and shoulders above almost any other ride they have done, so I'm surprised when for some other people it's just another ride.

As for wooden coasters, I guess I would have to say Thunder Road. It's been near 15 years since I've ridden it, but when it comes down to it I think most out and back coasters are far more enjoyable than they get credit for just because their ride is extremely predictable and their layout so basis, we forget just how much fun that constant airtime is.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Backlot Stunt coaster at Kings Island is a VERY underrated coaster. The helix right after the first launch pulls some amazing g's... The trick track by the police cars is really fun. The entire part of the ride that is "in the dark" is so much fun! I was not expecting much when we rode it, but it was for sure one of the most surprising coasters at Kings Island.

• 2 months later...

-Tornado at Adventureland: This ride doesn't have a bad reputation, but I never hear anyone talk about it (probably because it's at an out-of-the-way park). Has a lot of good floater air for an old-school woodie, decent forces, and it's my favorite coaster in the park (though that might change with the addition of Monster next year).

-Firehawk at Kings Island: Not nearly as rough as I thought it would be, has a pretty forceful loop, and it executes the flying sensation very well. My fourth favorite ride in the park behind the big three.

-Gemini at Cedar Point: One of the smoother Arrows out that has some nice little airtime pops, plus the racing aspect is nice.