TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

Is there any love out there for Thunderhawk at Dorney?

This coaster is running great since it was re-tracked, and sitting in the first car leads to ejector airtime on the top of the first turnaround and a few other pops of airtime throughout the course. Even with the trim brakes, this is a good coaster, probably the best in the park besides Talon. Even though it's dwarfed by Steel Force it offers a much more exciting ride.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Poltergeist is underrated. I have never ridden that ride and gotten off without a serious adrenaline buzz (of course the dizzy spell comes along too). Only wish SFFT would take the trims off right after the launch.

Is there any love out there for Thunderhawk at Dorney?

This coaster is running great since it was re-tracked, and sitting in the first car leads to ejector airtime on the top of the first turnaround and a few other pops of airtime throughout the course. Even with the trim brakes, this is a good coaster, probably the best in the park besides Talon. Even though it's dwarfed by Steel Force it offers a much more exciting ride.

It's fine, havn't ridden in years so IDK if I've seen the retrack but best in park?? You trippin!

Ironically, I'd say many in that park are underrated.

Hydra seems to be pretty disliked. If you think its dull OK but I hate how the roll is = Satan apparently. Its a fun unique ride!

Talon is a pretty good B&M invert, and Steel Force isn't great but that makes it a joke to many enthusiasts....its fun and a good starter coaster for n00bs.

It's fine, havn't ridden in years so IDK if I've seen the retrack but best in park?? You trippin!

To be fair, I did say that Talon was better. I think Laser used to be the best coaster in the park before they removed it, but other than that I think Thunderhawk is clearly their best coaster if you sit in the right seat (middle row, front car). Hydra isn't a bad little ride but it's forceless and the jojo roll is uncomfortable. I always thought impulse coasters were lame and obviously Stinger is a terrible ride. Steel force is the world's tallest and fastest mine train. It's amazing how a ride that impressive looking can be that boring. You get more airtime on the Seadragon than Steel Force.

I do miss Laser

Like I said, Steel Force is fun, if you enjoy sense of speed like I do, and its a great intro coaster but isn't high on the list at all.

I guess this is underrated, maybe under known? but Ride of Steel at Darien Lake/SFA is great. A little uninspired and nothing too intense but its fast as hell, smooth, and has good airtime. Really fun ride.

I think that Silver Bullet (KBF), Manta (SWSD), and Ninja (SFMM) are underrated IMO.

^See, I don't think we could ever classify Silver Bullet as underrated or even under appreciated. Given that it towers over Knott's and was supposed to be the parks 1-2 steel coaster punch, you can't help but appreciate it.

The problem with Silver Bullet is that it's grandeur and 140" height comes out to be a dull 40° 110 foot drop and perhaps the most forceless B&M invert in the states.

Batman: The Ride clones are sort of bashed due to them being cloned, I think they have great forces and a great layout for a B&M Invert. I also think Vekoma GIBs are underrated as well as the Flying Dutchmans (X-Flight at Geuaga Lake was a great Flyer [iDK how it runs as Firehawk at Kings Island])

Id have to say Ninja as well. Sometimes it feels like it's forgotten when it's one of SFMM's best coasters. It's part of a dying breed, but I hope that it stays for a few more years at the very least.

The ride style itself may be a gimmick but I wouldn't call it a gimmicky coaster.

The problem with Silver Bullet is that it's grandeur and 140" height comes out to be a dull 40° 110 foot drop and perhaps the most forceless B&M invert in the states.

This type of comment always rubs me the wrong way. Nothing personal, but I just don't think everyone agrees that strong forces makes a coaster. I personally love a coaster like MF and Silver Bullet, just to name a few, that are butter smooth and don't throw you outta your seat and jerk you around. The first time I rode Batman at SFMM I got off thinking it was the worst invert I had ever been on. It was jerky and it gave me a massive headache. It's the same reason I hate the last half of Magnum XL 200. I seems like a waste of speed to me.

With that being said, I respect those who rate a coaster high because of overly strong forces. I just don't think everyone feels the same about it.

^ If a looper isn't going to throw you around and have strong forces, then what's the point of it? I mean, that's exactly what loopers are for!

Speaking of forceful inverteds, I don't understand why Montu doesn't rank higher in the polls. The only inverted that can give it a run for its money in the forces department is Pyrenees, and maybe Nemesis. And the only looper in the US that can give it a run for its money is Kumba.

I understand that a lot of people don't appreciate loopers and positive G's, but I'd think that it would at least rank among the top loopers in the polls.

It's my #1 steel out of over 800.

Edited by David H

^ I've been on almost every inverted coaster in the world, and I can't really think of any moment of stronger sustained positive G's than in the first half of the batwing, especially when riding in the back left seat. It's so strong that they've unfortunately put a small trim brake right before it. The pretzel loops in the flyers (and that weird intense double loop on Sky Scrapper) are pretty comparable, but Montu overall is far better than those. And the cobra roll and helix in Pyrenees. But that's about it. I think that Montu generates more positive G's all over the ride than Afterburn, and nothing on Afterburn even comes close to Montu's batwing. And while Alpengeist is slightly bigger and faster, it's specifically designed to not have quite the strong forces of Montu.

Admittedly, they sometimes have the brakes on to varying degrees, which definitely affect the forces. I've even felt the brakes vary from ride to ride on pretty much every visit.

Now, if they could only take the brakes off of it, it would be even more amazing! I'd seriously fly down and pay good money for an enthusiast event with the brakes off!

Weird. Yes, Montu was definitely more forceful in the old days, when it was braked less heavily. But I thought it was still pretty powerful as recently as last Friday. Seriously, I've rarely felt anything like the Batwing in the back left seat, other than in those moments that I mentioned earlier. And yes, I enjoyed Afterburn, and it was actually more forceful than I was expecting form a more recent B&M, but nothing compared to Montu.

I've also heard rumors that they have sensors on the coaster that increase the brakes if the trains are going too fast. Perhaps with the park so dead and with many half empty trains (less mass = less momentum = less speed), they had the brakes on more lightly than usual?

• 2 months later...
I guess this is underrated, maybe under known? but Ride of Steel at Darien Lake is great. A little uninspired and nothing too intense but its fast as hell, smooth, and has good airtime. Really fun ride.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Darien Lake's Ride of Steel underrated? It's not anywhere near being underrated! I wish that I could say the same for Darien Lake's other coasters (Viper,Mind Eraser,Boomerang,Motocoaster, and The Predator)!

^^^^^

- Silver Bullet : definitely underrated vs. Alpengeist, Raptor etc (but still better in my opinion - LOVE the helix)

- Apocalypse : arguably the best ride at SFMM

- Ride of Steel : agreed, R.O.S. should be much higher rated (on Amusement Today's list anyways)

- Viper and Predator are also both underrated for what they are

- Vortex at Canada's Wonderland : best suspended on the planet, can easily hang with the big boys

^*Facepalm* why does everyone think that Darien Lake's Ride of Steel is underrated? The honors for most underrated coasters at Darien Lake are Motocoaster, Predator, Mind Eraser,and Viper!

LOL. Why does people saying Ride of Steel is underrated deserve a facepalm? Also, Motocoaster, Predator, Mind Eraser, and Viper aren't underrated. They just aren't very good. I mean, I've heard Motocoaster and Viper are fine but... I don't know, there is absolutely no point to this post so I will stop talking...

Saw the Ride is underrated by coaster enthusiasts. Sure, it's a bit rough but from the things people say on here you'd expect it was the steel spawn of Satan. For me it was the only coaster at Thorpe Park that truly blew me away on the first ride. In my opinion it's the second best coaster in the UK, after Nemesis.

The dark ride portion is excellent with a nice surprise drop, and the outdoor section of the layout is intense and relentless, with at least 2 moments of ejector airtime. There may be some headbanging, sure, but I found it much more tolerable than my headache inducing rides on Colossus, a coaster which people seem to rave about for reasons I cannot really understand.

I also enjoyed it much more than Speed: No Limits at Oakwood, which is often referred to as the best Eurofighter. So that's interesting.

I mentioned Dorney's Thunderhawk in a previous post but I have a few more.

Thunderbolt - Six Flags New England

This coaster doesn't have much airtime (it has some very quick pops) and I can't put my finger on why I like it so much but it's a great ride. It throws you around (in a fun way), but the ride is very smooth and comfortable. The turns aren't really banked at all and it has a fun double down... it's a great classic coaster.

Raptor - Cedar Point

I know calling anything at Cedar Point underrated seems kind of strange, I actually think that Raptor is. It's always overlooked in discussions about Cedar Point, but it's long, forceful layout makes for a great ride. I may be biased because B&M inverts are one of my favorite coaster types and I always ride them in the front row... but this ride is great.

Ninja - Six Flags Magic Mountain

We went to SFMM for the first time in over a decade earlier this year and besides Tatsu, Batman and Apocalypse, this was our favorite coaster in the park (mainly because of how unique it is). The close proximity to the lake really adds to the sense of speed. It's fast paced, disorienting and is one of the only coasters in the park that actually takes advantage of Magic Mountain's unique terrain. We liked this ride so much, we actually ended the night on it (though we wanted to go up in the Skytower at night and that did play a role in the decision). The only problem with this coaster is that it's a huge pain in the ass to get to.

Goliath - Six Flags New England

I don't know why this ride was so strongly disliked at SFMM but I find it to be smooth, fun and actually a little terrifying on the back spike.

• 5 months later...