TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^I think the real reason we don't have a mega-lite over here is that one would simply be a tough sell to the public as a major attraction, and thus a less rewarding investment for the park. To the GP in America, a mega-lite looks like an ordinary coaster with no gimmicks, inversions, or anything to set it apart. True hypers and gigas can get away with this because their size and power are draws themselves, but that same formula won't appeal to those less educated when the ride is in the 100-150 foot range. So for American parks, something like a wing coaster or a launched looper is probably a better investment that will draw bigger crowds. Parks in Europe and Asia may not face this same problem with their customer base as often.

This is exactly the reason I've always thought.

^^I think the real reason we don't have a mega-lite over here is that one would simply be a tough sell to the public as a major attraction, and thus a less rewarding investment for the park. To the GP in America, a mega-lite looks like an ordinary coaster with no gimmicks, inversions, or anything to set it apart. True hypers and gigas can get away with this because their size and power are draws themselves, but that same formula won't appeal to those less educated when the ride is in the 100-150 foot range. So for American parks, something like a wing coaster or a launched looper is probably a better investment that will draw bigger crowds. Parks in Europe and Asia may not face this same problem with their customer base as often.

Apparently people in the U.S. are unaware of what "true" Hair-time feels like(outside El Toro). If these started popping up, B&M-megas will look like child's-play.

Apparently people in the U.S. are unaware of what "true" Hair-time feels like(outside El Toro). If these started popping up, B&M-megas will look like child's-play.

But, I thought B&M Megas already were childs play. But I think that the closest thing to a mega-lite, and that's as close as we will get, is Skyrush. A smaller version of a giga with great forces and insane airtime.

I think that Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit doesn't get enough love from alot of people. Yes, they did over use the brake runs, but the ride has great forces and airtime.

Edited by I305KD

^^I think the real reason we don't have a mega-lite over here is that one would simply be a tough sell to the public as a major attraction, and thus a less rewarding investment for the park.

I disagree. If a park like Holiday World were to build one it would be a big seller to the public. I think the ride is mainly geared towards the small to mid-sized parks that can afford them. But also if you look at Maverick, who's first hill looks to be about the same size as the Mega-lite's lift, that ride is very popular if you look at the lines it draws and it's not anywhere near the size of CP's biggest coasters. To many it's the park's best ride.

My list of under-rated coasters would be:

Grizzly at KD

Viper at SFGAm

Screamin' Eagle at SFStL

GASM at SFOG

Afterburn at Carowinds

If you look at Maverick, who's first hill looks to be about the same size as the Mega-lite's lift, that ride is very popular if you look at the lines it draws and it's not anywhere near the size of CP's biggest coasters. To many it's the park's best ride.

But look at it from a GP perspective. Maverick can be described as "the red one with the crazy drop and the launch in the middle."

What can a mega-lite be described as? "That coaster with the hills and turns!"

^^I think the real reason we don't have a mega-lite over here is that one would simply be a tough sell to the public as a major attraction, and thus a less rewarding investment for the park.

I think this is a more realistic reason - people in general like height and inversions and Most parks who COULD afford one, already have an airtime coaster, which is probably taller. I don't think its because it has "airtime and forces", otherwise how would you explain skyrush, el toro, bizarro(sfne) etc. Also - the restraints/seating is no smaller than TTD, el toro and mille etc.

But they are great coasters, so that's a real shame! but at least you do have some airtime coasters over in the US - the closest we have to airtime in the UK is grand national! (not that it's a bad ride...)

As to underrated - I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Rita at Alton Towers.

I guess I would say Legend at Holiday World. I expected the worst when I rode it, but came off pleasantly surprised. Hell, it was a running a lot better than Voyage during TPR's Mid-America trip in 2010.

Wild Beast - Canada's Wonderland (a.k.a. Grizzly, King's Dominion)

Wild Beast, underrated? Really? I came here to post Grizzly myself, but the two of them are not the same coaster, built off the same plans or not.

Grizzly isn't quite what it once was thanks to so much of the woods around it being torn down, but it's also far better than it was a few years ago; I believe it was retracked 2-3 years ago, and last time I rode it a few years back, it was remarkably smooth and fast, really a great ride, and still amazing after dark, if a little less so than a decade ago.

Wild Beast though, I've never heard anyone that's ridden it and didn't feel like it was trying to kill them. I rode it for the first time earlier this summer, and I think it was the second worst coaster I've ever been on (beaten only Hercules at Dorney before it was improved by being turned into firewood). I could not believe how rough it was, it felt like it was completely coming apart. Hard to imagine how two "identical" coasters can ride so much differently, apart from a horrific lack of maintenance on WB, and that seems odd since most of CW seems quite well taken care of.

Predator at Darien Lake.

This ride has airtime, not just one or two pops, but several on almost every hill. The ride is not perfectly smooth, but it is not unbearably rough by any means. The new trains make it very re-rideable even in the back. Next to Ride of Steel, Predator is the number two reason for visiting Darien Lake.

Georgia Scorcher- Six Flags Over Georgia

I agree! Defiantly the best and most comfortable standup out there today.

I was just thinking the same thing. Rode it many times in a row, because in the morning everybody rushed over to Goliath. Lucky me...

Yeah, some people didn't even know SFOG has a stand-up coaster.

I think Six Flags Over Georgia is an underrated park as a whole. I think it's amazing, and has many unique thrill rides. It should be known as one of the best. I honestly think SFOG is one of the top 5 SF parks out there, but everyone seems to ignores it...but I guess it's good in some ways, becuase there are less crowds there.

Wild Beast - Canada's Wonderland (a.k.a. Grizzly, King's Dominion)

Wild Beast, underrated? Really? I came here to post Grizzly myself, but the two of them are not the same coaster, built off the same plans or not.

Grizzly isn't quite what it once was thanks to so much of the woods around it being torn down, but it's also far better than it was a few years ago; I believe it was retracked 2-3 years ago, and last time I rode it a few years back, it was remarkably smooth and fast, really a great ride, and still amazing after dark, if a little less so than a decade ago.

Wild Beast though, I've never heard anyone that's ridden it and didn't feel like it was trying to kill them. I rode it for the first time earlier this summer, and I think it was the second worst coaster I've ever been on (beaten only Hercules at Dorney before it was improved by being turned into firewood). I could not believe how rough it was, it felt like it was completely coming apart. Hard to imagine how two "identical" coasters can ride so much differently, apart from a horrific lack of maintenance on WB, and that seems odd since most of CW seems quite well taken care of.

Some people like rough, sketchy, near-death-feeling rides

• 2 months later...

I am really surprised that Renegade at VF isn't regarded as a better coaster. It is a fun ride, great speed (it typically only runs one train so the trims are never on). It doesn't have great airtime which if it did have more airtime would rank this coaster much higher than it normally is ranked.

Grizzly at Kings Dominion. A top 15 I'd say for me! In the back car the air time is insane, few inches off the seat my body pulling against the belt! Fast, rough but not violent. Not like how it used to be but still in the trees and has tunnels. Awesome ride!

Blue Streak. Simple, but fun and some great airtime.

Superman - Darien Lake. Again simple, and it's not anything mindblowing or unique but its really fast, smooth and has nice airtime.