TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Forgive me since I'm not overly familiar with this park, but when was that picture taken? There are people in the train, and I thought the park doesn't open until this Sunday?

The above photo of The Bat was taken this past weekend during Bank Days which are held on weekends in late April. These days are for bank employees, their families, and their friends.

The above photo of The Bat was taken this past weekend during Bank Days which are held on weekends in late April. These days are for bank employees, their families, and their friends.

Just another perk of being a bank employee in Ontario.

Besides Mystic Timbers, every Cedar Fair expansion was delayed this year. Kinda sad. I expect better from them.

Kings Dominion, Cedar Point and Valleyfair come to mind as being on time.

I guess you're right (though two of those haven't opened yet). Cedar Fair usually sets the standard when it comes to being on time with their new stuff, but Dorney, Worlds of Fun, CGA, Carowinds, and (kinda) Knott's were late this year.

Besides Mystic Timbers, every Cedar Fair expansion was delayed this year. Kinda sad. I expect better from them.

Seriously?

It's still a month before Memorial Day. I don't even think it's fair to call any new attraction "late" until it's mid-June or later. Considering that most CF parks are open now (minus 3), and all of the parks have their respective new attractions already open or very close to opening, I don't think they are "delayed" at ALL. Most Cedar Fair parks open in late March and early April... you can't possibly expect them to get their new areas/vintage flat rides open with such a short off-season for many.

When compared to Six Flags, who takes 9 months to build a Super Loop, Cedar Fair dominates in opening rides on time. Nothing is "delayed." It's still not even May yet. My goodness.

//end rant

Kings Dominion, Cedar Point and Valleyfair come to mind as being on time.

I guess you're right (though two of those haven't opened yet). Cedar Fair usually sets the standard when it comes to being on time with their new stuff, but Dorney, Worlds of Fun, CGA, Carowinds, and (kinda) Knott's were late this year.

If you thought Cedar Fair was late, you wouldn't want to know what Six Flags' new rides look like right now (Hint: None of them are open).

Anything before Memorial Day is nowhere near being late. Patriot opened a week after the park opened, and Knott's never closes so there is no "late"

^yes, and that certainly affects large scale construction projects. But let's be real - this is a traveling flat ride that can probably be set up in a matter of hours on the fair circuit. Yes it's being installed in a permanent location and the landscaping looks lovely, but there's no reason that shouldn't be able to be done for opening day if they planned properly and actually cared to do so.

^yes, and that certainly affects large scale construction projects. But let's be real - this is a traveling flat ride that can probably be set up in a matter of hours on the fair circuit. Yes it's being installed in a permanent location and the landscaping looks lovely, but there's no reason that shouldn't be able to be done for opening day if they planned properly and actually cared to do so.

Yes, because it's always easy to predict how hard a blizzard will hit several months from now and how long after that the ground thaws enough to put shovels back into the dirt. They need to dig up enough dirt to have a space for this thing, pour some concrete, wire electrical outside of guest view, erect and test the thing. A couple years back in Minneapolis, they poured salt onto the roads before a large blizzard. But before the blizzard hit, a rainstorm washed most of the salt away. And the blizzard hit before more salt could be placed. That winter completely shredded the roads.

"The best laid schemes of mice and men/Go often askew,"

-"To a Mouse" by Robert Burns

Something which I found odd is why would Canada's Wonderland locate Muskoka Plunge next to Typhoon? Especially because of that huge dirt pile on the opposite side of Minebuster. You think it's unusual that they didn't just put it where they did digging last year. Especially due to the removing of trees in the process.

image.thumb.png.000c6688313475611672845ecf6b1569.png

The dirt pile would be where there's a tree lined road to Minebuster. While the new slide complex is on the opposite side of the tracks.

Did anyone go on opening day?

Leviathan was down, the new ride had still some construction going on, and it was freezing. But it was empty so it was fine.

Most of the rides were running insanely slow, behemoth felt like it was going to rollback on the helix...

Backlot stunt coaster either roll-backed or the brakes kicked in on the launch, because it was stuck at the end of the launch.

I was the only rider on minebuster in the front row, and it broke... I think something is wrong with the chain and brakes on that ride.

and that certainly affects large scale construction projects. But let's be real - this is a traveling flat ride that can probably be set up in a matter of hours on the fair circuit. Yes it's being installed in a permanent location and the landscaping looks lovely, but there's no reason that shouldn't be able to be done for opening day if they planned properly and actually cared to do so.

No reason it shouldn't be ready for opening day? Are you serious....how about that between Dec-Feb you usually expect there to be a few feet of snow on the ground with the first couple of feet of top soil completely frozen through. Once it gets to March you are into either the last couple of blizzards or a ground thaw where everything is saturated.

Add that to the month of April where there has been rain just about every week, the water table is at its highest, the ground just won't dry out and the news is reporting the "Lake Ontario seems rather high"......I will give CW a pass on not having "a travelling flat ride" quite ready just yet. As I look out the window typing...it is raining again, no doubt a great day to test out the electrical systems.

Pretty sure they "care"...pretty sure they "planned properly". Pretty sure they were hoping they didn't get the amount of snow and rain we have had this winter and spring. "Large scale" has nothing to do with it...I trust them build to the correct code and safety standards expected by Cedar Fair....in conditions that allow them to meet that criteria.

They can't win either way with some people...if they had it open yesterday and then it broke down straightaway, folk would be moaning about that instead.

Delays on the CF refurbished flat rides have come from the place in Europe who was doing the refurbishment before the ride was shipped to the park, so it's not really CW's fault in this case, but has nothing to do with the Canadian weather. Dorneys ride didn't open on time either

Delays on the CF refurbished flat rides have come from the place in Europe who was doing the refurbishment before the ride was shipped to the park, so it's not really CW's fault in this case, but has nothing to do with the Canadian weather. Dorneys ride didn't open on time either

I agree with you on this. The refurbishment is the main thing that delayed the process but, the installation and opening of the rides is not too far behind. Also, the weather was quite mild in comparison to other winters we have seen in previous years. So, the one week delay of Soaring Timbers is no big deal and everyone should stop complaining about the "lateness" of the ride opening as Canada's Wonderland is doing the best they can with the situation they were given to work with!

Getting back on topic here, below are a few highlight photos from my visit during Season Pass Sneak Preview Night at Canada's Wonderland on April 28th. The rest of the photos can be viewed on my blog post.

IMG_0894.JPG After 8 years of The Bat sporting orange supports, the supports were repainted black for the 30th anniversary of The Bat! Now it looks just like it had prior to the 2008 season and 30 years ago!

IMG_0891.JPG Here is Soaring Timbers with its beautiful sign and surrounding landscaping.

IMG_0892.JPG Here is a view of Soaring Timbers which was still under construction. Take note of the the beautiful waterfall feature in front of the ride!

IMG_0926.JPG Here is The Bat thrilling riders in the cool night air!