TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

One of the items on my bucket list is to take the train up to Toronto and see the Leafs play in the ACC.

Leafs Nation! Ya gotta believe! (because watching them actually play is painful)

wow that is some bucket list item. I'd hate to see the rest. does it involve marathoning a SLC headbanger?

Why don't you take a road trip to Chicago, hit Great America and watch a real hockey team!

It's gotta be the Leafs. I'd rather watch them play than ride Flight Deck. This is their year. With the Cubs still in the pennant race, anything could happen, except the Mad Cows (Sabres) making the playoffs. Leafs first, then maybe Chicago for Great America, A Blackhawks' game and a few cold ones at the Chicago Hofbrauhaus. Besides, you have to respect a fan base that chants "Go Leafs Go!" at Bills games.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While not completely related to the operation of Canada's Wonderland, the park was used in a completely different way earlier this week to keep a tradition alive due to current COVID-19 restrictions i

Go to CW site.  Click to buy something like a season pass.  You'll see it in the popup transaction window.  Under 2021 Season Pass -> 2021 Add Ons.  

Can confirm, CF doesn't care which park you go to first with your paper voucher for a Platinum Pass.  You'll get your photo taken and be issued a card that has whatever park you go to first on the bac

Posted Images

The last Bills game I went to I sat in the end zone among a group that had come down from Toronto on a bus. One guy in front of us had smuggled at least a six pack of Canadian down the back of his down-filled vest and shared them out during the game. We were the soberest people in the section, and the "Go Leafs Go" chant started sometime in the 3rd quarter after it was clear the Bills had no chance of winning. They were friendly enough, though thoroughly intoxicated. Actually, it made the game more entertaining and tolerable.

The last Bills game I went to I sat in the end zone among a group that had come down from Toronto on a bus. One guy in front of us had smuggled at least a six pack of Canadian down the back of his down-filled vest and shared them out during the game. We were the soberest people in the section, and the "Go Leafs Go" chant started sometime in the 3rd quarter after it was clear the Bills had no chance of winning. They were friendly enough, though thoroughly intoxicated. Actually, it made the game more entertaining and tolerable.

The last time I sat in the end zone below the old scoreboard, one Canadian fan had brought in a gallon Ziploc bag of Crown Royal and was passing it around to whoever wanted (or dared) to drink out of it. This was back when you were allowed to bring in those plastic horns, so people were dumping it down the horn and basically doing funnel shots of whiskey. I think the Bills were getting their asses beat (what else is new) so people were finding other ways of entertaining themselves. Not sure if it gets quite that raucous anymore as it has been many years since I have been to a game.

I don't get the "Go Leafs Go" chants at the Bills or Sabres games. I can see if the Leafs are playing the Sabres at First Niagara, but the rest of the time it just seems kinda silly and obnoxious.

Getting back on topic to Wonderland, curious for those that have gone to Haunt this year, what would be your point form best and worst of the event?

Highs:

Spirit Manor

Ruins

Skeleton Key in Streets of the Undead

Mediums:

Sink the Jerk

Toxicity

Lows:

Club Blood

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice job. Is it located in the "Wild Beast" spot?

I am sure it has been discussed before, is there any merit to RMC ing Minebuster or Wild Beast? I have yet to experience actually going on one yet (I hope to make Iron Rattler my first next year). Would those coasters lend themselves to actually being a good layout? Do Cedar fair have any contracts with RMC as I am unaware of any parks in the chain that have used them yet?

Does anyone have any idea when Skyhawk's construction will begin? I am guessing late February. I'm just wondering because I may want to get some photos or videos. If I do get any photos or videos, I'll definitely share here!

I've been working on a RMC concept for this park for a few months now and I finally finished it. Let me know what you think!

This makes me think of a wooden I305. Very nice job. One of the better fan made RMC's I've seen! It actually looks like a legit layout RMC would do for a park!

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooo, according to Screamscape, Thunder Run will get a VR headset in 2016. It won't be free, though -

2016 - VR Enhanced Thunder Run - Confirmed - (12/16/15) The LA Times looks into the future of VR enhanced rides along with possible use at Cedar Fair parks this week. They confirm that a VR enhanced version of Thunder Run mine train coaster will return to Canada’s Wonderland in 2016, but look for it to be used as an “upcharge” experience rather than as a free enhancement for everyone. According to the article the VR enhanced experience will place riders on the back of a fire-breathing dragon, and add in the experience of a virtual corkscrew inversion element to the experience of the coaster which has no actual real-world inversion. They also mention that the VR experience will require riders to take a trip around the track TWICE to get the entire experience, which makes me curious about just what will take place within the VR realm while the coaster stops in the station to reload all the rest of the seats with non-VR riders.

During an interview with CEO Matt Ouimet, he also said VR enhancement would be added to another coaster elsewhere in the chain as well during 2016. While he didn’t say which park it would come to, he did mention that it would be added to an entirely different style coaster because they want to see how the experience translates to “different types of physics”. Testing on this unknown second coaster is expected to begin soon, and it should be used to enhance the experience of an older ride, or one that doesn’t run at full capacity. In other words… it wont be used on any of the chain’s most popular coasters.

One more interesting use for the VR tech is also being considered by Ouimet, to create a VR powered haunted maze experience. I’m not sure how this would work, but if they need a guinea pig to test it on, feel free to give me a call.

http://screamscape.com/html/canada-s_wonderland.htm

I'm not a fan of upcharges and you certainly won't see me paying extra money to put on a headset worn by a bunch of other sweaty park-goers, but that's me.

They also mention that the VR experience will require riders to take a trip around the track TWICE to get the entire experience, which makes me curious about just what will take place within the VR realm while the coaster stops in the station to reload all the rest of the seats with non-VR riders.

Someone wanna tell Lance that the ride already does and always has run two laps?

I feel that Virtual Reality will create longer wait times for Thunder Run than they already are! Luckily I get to the park before it opens so, that way when the rides do open at 10:00 am, I am able to be one of the first riders on Thunder Run if I want to ride it that day. I wonder how much Virtual reality is going to cost to use, even though I probably wouldn't use it myself?

Not sold on VR. It wasn't a big thing at the park in the early 90s when it was an upcharge and I don't think it will be now, especially on a family coaster. I don't get what turning multi million dollar coasters into simulator rides achieves. If they didn't pull out the action theatre seats they could have used these in there, where the only reality you'd miss out on is a big room.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not very familiar with this particular forum, and I've been searching all over TPR and on the web. Does Berserker still operate at the park? I saw on a couple websites saying it does, however on the parks website it's not on there. Anyone know what's the deal? Thanks

Berserker is an Intamin Looping Starship that has been operating at Kings Dominion since 1984. I believe you are thinking of Jet Scream which was an Intamin Looping Starship that operated at the park from 1990-2010. It was replaced by Windseeker for the 2011 season. I hope this helps!